New Grandmaester of KL

Poppa Chase

I am not sure that the Citadel might force a Tyrell toad this time. I think Lleyton will use his influence to appoint an anti-Tyrell toad.

Why would Leyton prefer an anti-Tyrell toad, though? The Tyrells are the ones actually trying to save Oldtown (plus, they're family)

Literally all but the king. And he is a small malleable child, so they own KL at the moment for sure.

Exactly, the Tyrells should peak for real before they fall

Why would Leyton prefer an anti-Tyrell toad, though? The Tyrells are the ones actually trying to save Oldtown (plus, they're family)

Alekyne is also family but his seat was grabbed by the greedy Tyrells. By seizing the lands of the Florents upon which both Tarlys and Hightower's wife had better claims, the power balance in the Reach shifted in favor of the Tyrells greatly. Moryn Tyrell commands the city watch in Oldtown and we know from AGoT that it is an important position during the times of crisis.

Thus, Lleyton has every reason to restrain Tyrell influence.

Alekyne is also family but his seat was grabbed by the greedy Tyrells. By seizing the lands of the Florents upon which both Tarlys and Hightower's wife had better claims, the power balance in the Reach shifted in favor of the Tyrells greatly. Moryn Tyrell commands the city watch in Oldtown and we know from AGoT that it is an important position during the times of crisis.

Thus, Lleyton has every reason to restrain Tyrell influence.

Except that, like I said, the Hightowers would be shooting themselves in the foot by restraining Tyrell influence because the Tyrells are trying to save Oldtown, unless you think other council members like Lady Nym or Cersei would give a fuck about the Reach. As long as they're fighting a common enemy in Euron and Cersei Leyton should be smart to keep the in-fighting to a minimum

Also, yeah, Rhea Florent has a better claim to Brightwater Keep, but Garlan is her grandson anyway, so they're ultimately keeping it in the family. If anything, Randyll Tarly has more right to be pissed about it than Leyton

Of course, the Citadel could have been lying about who they were going to elect. They wanted Pycelle back in that seat, not only because they apparently like him (there's no accounting for taste) but to make a point that the Grandmaester cannot be made or unmade by anyone but them.

I think it's the opposite. I think they want a Tyrell there but they can't retire Pycelle like Barristan Selmy.

I don't know how the Tyrells are supposedly trying to save Oldtown. The Redwyns are trying to destroy the Ironborn fleet, the Tyrells are trying to retake the shields, and the Hightowers are defending Oldtown. The hightowers are also harboring a Florent.

The Tyrells are the ones who sent the Redwyne Fleet to fight the Ironborn, and they would have arrived sooner if it weren't for Cersei. In this case, "destroying the Ironborn" = "saving Oldtown"

Alekine seeking refuge in Oldtown is admittedly suspicious, but that could be part of the Hightower policy of taking no sides. I mean, they're pretty much neutral at this point

The Tyrells are the ones who sent the Redwyne Fleet to fight the Ironborn, and they would have arrived sooner if it weren't for Cersei. In this case, "destroying the Ironborn" = "saving Oldtown"

Alekine seeking refuge in Oldtown is admittedly suspicious, but that could be part of the Hightower policy of taking no sides. I mean, they're pretty much neutral at this point

You don't keep being the owner of the tallest and oldest tower in the seven kingdoms by choosing sides in every rebellion.

And I forgot my other argument against it being the Tyrell: he's only a maester. Wouldn't they be more likely to elect someone who is already an archmaester?

No cause then they'd have to elect a new arch maester. They're already at least one short and another is too old to do much anything.

Archived