Have you ever been as fanatical about any books as much as ASOIAF?

Fanless Mace

When I was a little kid, I read Gone With The Wind 10 times in a row, no other reading in-between (OK, probably the newspaper and tiny amounts of schoolwork, but no books for pleasure).

That was nearly 50 years ago, and I thought I had moved past that sort of behavior. But 6 times through ASOIAF makes that look like child's play. At least I didn't read it six straight times without reading anything else.

Have you ever been as fanatical about any books as much as ASOIAF? Has any other book/series inspired you to spend as much time on forums, parsing hidden meanings and missed innuendos? What other fictional literature has led you to such extreme diagnosis and debate about meaning, plot, and character?

I get fanatical about...a lot of things. I've written Harry Potter fanfic, essays on how magic, ablism, sexism and society in general work in Rowling's world. I have written character essays on Thomas Barrow from Downton Abbey, shipping essays for ASoIaF, character essays, defences and fanfic for Fanny Price from Mansfield Park, essays on Canon!Holmes/Watson, Garak/Bashir, Rizzoli/Isles. Xena/Gabrielle (off the pilot alone!) Spock/Kirk, Anthy/Utema, Korra/Asami....

I have..issues ok?

Harry Potter, though like Julia Martell said above, this fandom is somewhat more sophisticated. I did love many of the HP theories, "Harry is Voldemort's son, obviously!" is one of my favourites.

Inheritance Cycle, I'd started reading when I was young and got the final two books as they were released, which is in many ways more exciting (and FRUSTRATING!!!) than having the whole series ready to pick up and read. Though the ending of Inheritance was so very disappointing that it ruined the series for me a little...

Tolkien's works have always been close to my heart, however. I read LotR when I was seven, and since then they've always been far and away my favourite books. The Hobbit and the Silmarillion came next, then Unfinished Tales, until now, where I'm trying to collect the complete works of Tolkien (so far I've got LotR, Hobbit, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin borrowed from a friend, and The History of Middle Earth Part I). The only problem with Tolkien is that they were all written so long ago that there is no really new material being released, so we don't get as many crazy conspiracy theories as we do on here!

LotR will always be first and foremost in my heart, but depending on the next two books, I believe that ASoIaF will come a close second!

I'm way too old to be a Potterhead, but I read the stories to my children when they came out, and am still very impressed by just how much literary, mythological, historical, alchemical and religious knowledge/symbolism underlies the series. JK Rowling is a genius of the first order.

I get fanatical about...a lot of things. I've written Harry Potter fanfic, essays on how magic, ablism, sexism and society in general work in Rowling's world. I have written character essays on Thomas Barrow from Downton Abbey, shipping essays for ASoIaF, character essays, defences and fanfic for Fanny Price from Mansfield Park, essays on Canon!Holmes/Watson, Garak/Bashir, Rizzoli/Isles. Xena/Gabrielle (off the pilot alone!) Spock/Kirk, Anthy/Utema, Korra/Asami....

I have..issues ok?

That's what I call dedication. Keep it up!

Tolkien's works have always been close to my heart, however. I read LotR when I was seven, and since then they've always been far and away my favourite books. The Hobbit and the Silmarillion came next, then Unfinished Tales, until now, where I'm trying to collect the complete works of Tolkien (so far I've got LotR, Hobbit, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin borrowed from a friend, and The History of Middle Earth Part I). The only problem with Tolkien is that they were all written so long ago that there is no really new material being released, so we don't get as many crazy conspiracy theories as we do on here!

LotR will always be first and foremost in my heart, but depending on the next two books, I believe that ASoIaF will come a close second!

It's so nice to know that out there somewhere are people who feel for the same things. I know that there are fans of Tolkien and Martin all around, I just never meet any of them...maybe I've got the wrong kind of friends ;)

I believe I've read anything available of Tolkien (LotR, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, the Children of Hurin, the whole HoME and the Unfinished Tales) But I don't think it disadvantegous that nothing new of Tolkien will appear, because a. his Universe is already so gigantic you can get lost and b. I like to imagine some parts of the world for myself. Arda is perfect for world-building, because we know so much, but there are still little niches you can fill for yourself, or cases where you can decide all for yourself what "really" happened, because Tolkien worked with several possibilities...As to the theories...well; I would get angry if someone suggested Feanor to have an icestous relationship with his steep-mother or Sauron being Morgoths Son with Varda...(grrr, have to wash now)

as to Martins work, i've only read the ASoIaF-books and none of the Dunk&Egg-Stories, but thats simply because I have no money at the time being and no library here has them... :(

So...these two authors and their worlds are my passion and I think I love them equally, but quite in a different way...

It's so nice to know that out there somewhere are people who feel for the same things. I know that there are fans of Tolkien and Martin all around, I just never meet any of them...maybe I've got the wrong kind of friends ;)

I believe I've read anything available of Tolkien (LotR, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, the Children of Hurin, the whole HoME and the Unfinished Tales) But I don't think it disadvantegous that nothing new of Tolkien will appear, because a. his Universe is already so gigantic you can get lost and b. I like to imagine some parts of the world for myself. Arda is perfect for world-building, because we know so much, but there are still little niches you can fill for yourself, or cases where you can decide all for yourself what "really" happened, because Tolkien worked with several possibilities...As to the theories...well; I would get angry if someone suggested Feanor to have an icestous relationship with his steep-mother or Sauron being Morgoths Son with Varda...(grrr, have to wash now)

as to Martins work, i've only read the ASoIaF-books and none of the Dunk&Egg-Stories, but thats simply because I have no money at the time being and no library here has them... :(

So...these two authors and their worlds are my passion and I think I love them equally, but quite in a different way...

Nothing will EVER compare to LotR for me, they are the greatest fantasy books ever written by a long shot. ASoIaF books are just fun right now because we don't have them all yet.

Archived