Have you ever been as fanatical about any books as much as ASOIAF?

Fanless Mace

I like historical novels and have never read much fantasy but have become completely obsessed with ASOIF. I've never joined a forum before and started as a show watcher and then started lurking around here which led to starting the books. I'm so glad I did. GRRM is great with world building which is really something that is important to me. So yes, I've never been this obsessed!

My ASOIAF madness is eclipsed by my Tolkien madness. I could debate Arda for days on end, and to imagine what Valinor and the first age would have been like.

ME transcends the difference between the imaginary and the real. To think that each story, and substory in the Silmarillion would be bigger than LOTR, and linked to each other via songs and characters reminiscing about the glory of days past......

And the people of the east and the south, with stories of their own to tell, their own histories and tales and the songs. The songs. OMG

Oh, god I wanna go to ME and lie there forever.

My ASOIAF madness is eclipsed by my Tolkien madness. I could debate Arda for days on end, and to imagine what Valinor and the first age would have been like.

ME transcends the difference between the imaginary and the real. To think that each story, and substory in the Silmarillion would be bigger than LOTR, and linked to each other via songs and characters reminiscing about the glory of days past......

And the people of the east and the south, with stories of their own to tell, their own histories and tales and the songs. The songs. OMG

Oh, god I wanna go to ME and lie there forever.

First make sure they have indoor plumbing.

I love the asoiaf series, but i think what makes me actually want to join a forum and theorising is the fact that the series isnt yet complete, and there is so much material in the series and lots of characters!

At 10 i was reading Agatha Christie and sir Doyle then at 14 i was reading non stop "Les Misérables" ( 5 times in a row, if i remember well). Then i got to Tolkien, then the HP series, and The Belgariad. They are all in my favorites, and i like to read each of them depending of the kind of mood i am in. For a smile, the belgariad, even if sometimes reallt cheesy, is always nice.

I like big books with lots of characters, add mysteries and lots of conspiracies, and i think this is why asoiaf is so great to me.

Edit: typing on a phone is hard. Meh.

I've been a die-hard Sherlock Holmes fan since I first read the books, and it remains so.

Also a Harry-Potter fan, but recent press releases about the books made me like it less. (There were hundreds of news items which called a Pottermore exceprt a "new Harry Potter short-story". WTF?). Was not active in discussions as here. Learned the word 'shipping' from there, though.

Completely agree. And we only had 1 year waits in between the books for that one. Had we had longer, I bet we would have seen crackpots about Harry really being Snape's son, Scrimgeour being Voldemort's disguise, and Dudley being a secret wizard.

Actually, I have seen Harry being Snape's son theory. Even after all seven books were published.

I was introduced to the show at the beginning of season 3, and after watching the first 2 seasons in a weekend, and subsequently S3, I was hooked. The wait for season 4 was too much, so I bought the books.

Finished the books in roughly six weeks, and this confirmed I was definitely hooked. Then searching for some info I stumbled across the massive fandom on the net and I haven't looked back since !

I've never been a member on a forum such as this before Asoiaf, and it's safe to say I have never spent so much time on a series of books. Hardly a day goes by without me checking out this forum, also other forums / podcasts. It's safe to say I've definitely got the bug.

Quite a few. Anything by Gene Wolfe, Tad Williams, Roger Zelazny, Terry Pratchett, Christopher Moore, Stephen R. Donaldson, and quite a few others automatically makes my must-read list.

I originally encountered GRRM's work in Wild Cards, and TBH I was hesitant to begin ASOIAF for a while because I just didn't believe he could pull off great High Fantasy -blush-

I have since become pretty fanatical about the series, both because of the delight of the slow-reveal through multiple threads that he does so well and the series' cultural saturation.

Archived