Which Religion would come out triumphant in ASOIF ?

sekharsaurav

With all the intrigues related to wars, families, politics, there exists a conflict of religions in the heart of GRRM's ASOIF.

In your opinion which religion would come out triumphant at the end ? Will it be the Faith of Seven, R''hllor, the Old Gods, the Drowned God ?

Also in our modern world which actual religions does the fictitious religions of GRRM mirror ? Any resemblances ?

I honestly think a unity religion is forming in the Riverlands. Just look at the BWB- they hang with septon, worship the Red God, use the weirwoods and tend to become reborn after drowning.

A syncretism between the Red God and the Seven might happen, with elements of the Old Gods superstition continuing to exist, but a whole new organized religion unifying all the other existing religions is a bit too much.

I always thought that the Old god the faith of the seven and lord of light were all the same god just interpreted differently like Christianity Judaism and Islam all worship the same god just with different interpretations . So I ultimately think everyone will put aside their differences and realize they all have things in common mostly a mutual enemy

I always thought that the Old god the faith of the seven and lord of light were all the same god just interpreted differently like Christianity Judaism and Islam all worship the same god just with different interpretations . So I ultimately think everyone will put aside their differences and realize they all have things in common mostly a mutual enemy

and then they lived happilyever after. totally sounds like a story grrm would tell :cool4:

I didn't say they would win I just think in the end they will realize that their common enemy is coming for all of them

I think some of the players will realize this, to a certain extent, just as Jon recognizes even the most brutal wildlings as human beings worth standing with against the Others, but cannot make the same empathetic leap for the Boltons. But the great tragedy of the POV format is that no character ever sees the big picture. Honestly, I think most of the characters will be biting and backstabbing each other even as the Others come down on them.

But I can imagine Bran especially seeing past all that BS and at least attempting to bind the faiths together.

Each religion is very likely going to stay regionally focused. There is simply no way worship of the Drowned God could be picked up at a serious level inland, and unless the end of the forest has us fast forward several hundred years, there't aren't many weirwoods in the South to give the Old Gods a toehold there (Isle of Faces is a wild card, I'll admit).

As for the Faith of the Seven and the Lord of Light, I think a religious-fused war can't be far off. We see at the Red Temple in Volantis that the worshipers of R'hllor are baying for Dany to come lead them, and they'd probably follow her to Westeros without too much incentive (the power brokers of Essos could facilitate this so their normal slaving could secretly get back on track). And the High Sparrow is probably going to be anti-Dany, with an ever-growing army at his back.

Well, Islam, Judaism and Christianity all share some common prophets, common roots, common holy places.

The Andal religion didn't develop out of the Old Gods religion, they are entirely unrelated. Even more so for the R'hllor religion. They all developed and flourished in different regions of the world and don't really have much in common.

That's an interesting question, it doesn't appear as though the various denominations in ASOIAF will continue to hold the same influence as they did in the first book. Some have already begun to take strong positions in Westeros, while others seem to be diminishing. I am convinced however that at the end GRRM will bring two 'gods' to the forefront of the religious arena, to correlate with his theme of the balance of Ice and Fire. The Red God R'hllor or 'god of light' will emerge as the figurehead in the underlying fight against the 'Other', or stranger, or 'god of darkness', and the masses will rally behind that common cause. I think in the end, instead of a fight between good and evil, it's going to become a fight between life and death. The Red God and the God of Darkness seem to have always been in conflict, each one attempting to control the known world and those in it. It seems the darkness or 'long winter' is the mounting attack of the 'Other' as it attempts to once again regain the known world. It will be interesting to see if champions emerge on either side, John Snow reborn as Azure on HIgh as the R'hllor's, and the Night's King as the 'Others'.... Just a thought

I get the Old Gods thing, even though the magic that may have inspired such dedication was only common thousands of years ago.

If I saw a priestess of R'hollor burn an eagle out of the air in a world where magic is extremely uncommon, I would be convinced as well.

In modern day Essos and Westeros, R'hollor makes a great amount of sense, prescience and magic? Yep. Also, I am pretty convinced Mel is undead, or whatever you think Uncat is, just much better preserved, kind of like the drowning of the Iroborn, but actual death followed by resurrection for the highest level priests.

In your opinion which religion would come out triumphant at the end ? Will it be the Faith of Seven, R''hllor, the Old Gods, the Drowned God ?

Also in our modern world which actual religions does the fictitious religions of GRRM mirror ? Any resemblances ?

Well, just as in the modern world, no religion will come out on top.

Human nature makes a universal religion a dubious proposition IMO. History has shown that as a specific religion grows, it tends to splinter. For example, people often think of christianity as a single religion, and indeed that is a large ensemble of people agreeing on a few key concepts, yet the theological differences between various denomination can get fairly substantial.

Take a look at that list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_by_number_of_members

That's a lot of denominations! And it's not just christianity. There are hundreds of different theological view points on this planet, much more if you are loose with the classifications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions_and_spiritual_traditions

The notion that one religion is ASOIAF would 'win' just baffles me. I don't see how it can happen.

Id say the old gods are shamanism, with weirwood shamans. I think it will continue, because it has pwoer but it will coexist.

Seven is like the roman religion, with many gods and most folks dont understand it fully. multiple philosophies around and all.

Rhollor is like christianity one god and a simpler message and so forth. And by that i mean lutheran christianity. Catholism and orthodoxy is far more complex and stuff than rhollor.

Id say the old gods are shamanism, with weirwood shamans. I think it will continue, because it has pwoer but it will coexist.

Seven is like the roman religion, with many gods and most folks dont understand it fully. multiple philosophies around and all.

Rhollor is like christianity one god and a simpler message and so forth. And by that i mean lutheran christianity. Catholism and orthodoxy is far more complex and stuff than rhollor.

The Faith of the Seven seems to vary a bit. Tyron talks about it like there are seven pagan gods. Sam's idea of the Seven is similar, but a little more childlike and folky. But Septon Merribald and Brienne's description is much more like the holy trinity of Catholism: one god and seven aspects with each aspect being in the others. The High Sparrow, though, is friggin' bonkers so I'm not sure what he believes.

Ad OP: I think it's not the right way to ask this question.

Where there's a God (generally speaking), there are worshipers.

There's no real use in balancing the Gods of the ASoIaF universe and setting.

Well, just as in the modern world, no religion will come out on top.

Human nature makes a universal religion a dubious proposition IMO. History has shown that as a specific religion grows, it tends to splinter. For example, people often think of christianity as a single religion, and indeed that is a large ensemble of people agreeing on a few key concepts, yet the theological differences between various denomination can get fairly substantial.

Take a look at that list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_by_number_of_members

That's a lot of denominations! And it's not just christianity. There are hundreds of different theological view points on this planet, much more if you are loose with the classifications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions_and_spiritual_traditions

The notion that one religion is ASOIAF would 'win' just baffles me. I don't see how it can happen.

:agree:

See what I mean?

Archived