Which Religion would come out triumphant in ASOIF ?

sekharsaurav

According to GRRM, some of you are very wrong:

the Faith of the Seven are similar to Catholicism.

R'hllor is Ahura Mazda of Zoroastrianism, who stands for truth and light and the Great Other is Ahriman, the lord of lies and deceptions.

PS:

The worship of the Old Gods is more of a special form of paganism than shamanism.

The idealistic solution would be to have seven members in the small council with each member mirroring each aspect of the faith of seven. All the seven would be revered far and wide.

The council members would represent all the different religions on the known world, with the king / queen being the religious head of an old religion, which may be the Old Gods.

I still doubt if Azor Ahai would end up becoming the king of Westeros, but I am fully sure that Azor Ahai would be the champion of the Old Gods.

Given that GRRM has drawn heavily from actual history, I rather see the seven prevailing but NOT destroying the Old Gods or the Red God.

I see the old Gods as pretty much ancient animism plus Celtic gods, and were the first arrivals in Westeros (which looks very like Great Britain). Ie the Celts blended with the pre Celtic animists to form a "first man" culture/religion.

The Andals (AngloSaxons/ Vikings) brought the new Gods but in a heavily constrained and "organised form" This the seven is more like the Romanisation of England, with the Seven very like the highly structured religion imposed by Rome in the later years of the empire, such that that the seven are like the 7 Roman planetary gods (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn plus the Sun (Apollo) and Moon (Diana/Artemis). I am quite convinced that the Andal Kingdoms are each representative of these 7 deities. Now of course the same Romans who codified and imposed their sort of religious structure upon Britain and other parts of Europe, went on to become Christian and used the same approach to impose Christianity on Europe. However the Roman Christian traditons were heavily influenced by the Mediterranean earth mother/agricutural religions, with roots in the stories of Persephone, the "dying god," Sun god myths etc.

R'hallor is very much a fundamentalist Abrahamic religion of the Middle east a pastoralist proselytizing religion. It has roots in Zorastrianism for sure but also fundamentalist Christianity and of course Islam. GRRM has created a medieval world roughly of the era of the War of the Roses. Islam or the Moorish threat was huge at that time especially in Spain and of course in the Crusader kingdoms. It is of course not politically correct to say so and GRRM has done a good job of presenting the reality of a fundamentalist evangelical dualist religion, without pointing the finger too closely at any modern sects.

So back to the actual question. All the religions will survive in some form or another, although the seven are likely to continue to dominate in Westeros.

I think every God(s) has proven it has some sort of power, so my guess is they all will co-exist as they did before the story started.

It depends upon who ends on the Iron Throne. A Stannis would not tolerate any other religion, but other possible kings might. Especially someone like Dany who worships anything she passes.

I think the real question is what the state religion will be, I suppose it will stay the seven because of the people, but with influences from the religion the winner believes in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If GRRM is going to follow history on this, then in the end the Rhllor will end up eating all the other religions. :P

Honestly, I really don't care as long as the Drowned God dies and stays dead. Personally I find the Iron Islands and especially Damphair incredibly annoying, and their slogan really needs to just never be repeated again.

Archived