Im done with GRRM

geogus

Hi guys.

Im a reader from the early days of the series and im tired of waiting for the books, Im think GRRM does not pay due respect to its fans.

Im aware he has the right to take the time he watns to write te books. He even has the right to not to write the next book.

Im no way can force him to write or complain about his time, or in any form to bully him for take all the time he wants.

However, as an unhappy customer I have the right not to buys his productos.

Im a hardcore fan. I have books, Dvds, rpgs, fan-made books (like a feast of ice and fire), T-shirts and so far....

No more.

I wont buy a world of ice and fire. I wont buy no more HBO DVD. I wont buy any ASOFIAF -related items.

I will only buy ASOIAF products again (including world of ice and fire) once GRRM publishes WoW.

I think that if readers pressed like that, as consumers, we would have better results.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think he writes for the fans - he writes because he's got this universe locked up in his head that he needs to put down on paper (or typewriter...), and if it takes him one hundred years, then people will still buy it because of the quality of writing and attention to detail.

I agree though, it is incredibly annoying - and I only read the series for the first time this summer, yet I'm still desperate for TWOW. I honestly don't know how you long-term fans cope.

As the poster above me wrote, that mindset would probably work, if anything it'd make his publishers put pressure on him to focus on ASOIAF rather than the other stuff. But people are two invested in it to ever make that claim. Personally, I'm happy to wait if it means we get the best possible writing out of George...but I've only been waiting a month. (As green as summer grass, and winter is coming, you might say).

The sheer entitlement! Neil Gaiman would be very cross with you, very cross!

Seriously, though, I'm not a fan from the good old days, but I'm onboard with this:

I wont buy a world of ice and fire. I wont buy no more HBO DVD. I wont buy any ASOFIAF -related items.

I will only buy ASOIAF products again (including world of ice and fire) once GRRM publishes WoW.

I won't be buying any of this either. However, I also disagree with this:

I think that if readers pressed like that, as consumers, we would have better results.

Speaking as someone who has dabbled in creative writing, you really can't force it, unless you wanna end up with a subpar work, which is not the desired result either

I do take issue with GRRM's many money-grabs, chiefly the awful TPatQ, which I found offensively bad.

FFS, authoring a novel is not making a latte. 'Customers' do not get to set up rules. If you think that your squeaky bitching will help GRRM quickly create a better fantasy series for you to 'consume,' then you are working in the wrong paradigm. Boycott GRRM all you want; see if he cares. You are not going to be able to influence him commercially; from this endeavor he's already made more money than he probably expected to in his whole life. At this point, I'm guessing that all he cares about is a continuation and ending of the story that he likes. He has your money, and you've already promised him more if he writes more books. Get real. You can't boycott a writer.

We wouldn't. Good writing cannot be forced and Muse is no-one's bitch. Neither is GRRM, BTW.

Hes not my bitch. Im not bitching him up. Im not sending him angry e-mails, angry letter and if i see him in the streert i would be nice to him.

However, as I costumer, I wont give him my money anymore because I think he does not deserve it anymore.

No more books, mechandising, T-shitrs, DVD, nothing.... at least from my walltet.

I m sure he hopes to sell lots of World of ice and fire books. I hope he sells none. I hope its not profitble. I hope he sells fewer books than need to get his money back..

If he wants to take 100 years to finish the series, that OK. !00 years from now i will start to buy his products again

Im a reader from the early days of the series and im tired of waiting for the books, Im think GRRM does not pay due respect to its fans.

Don't think he's required to, to be honest.

Im aware he has the right to take the time he watns to write te books. He even has the right to not to write the next book.

Yup.

Im no way can force him to write or complain about his time, or in any form to bully him for take all the time he wants.

Pretty much.

However, as an unhappy customer I have the right not to buys his productos.

Very true.

Im a hardcore fan.

That's nice.

I have books, Dvds, rpgs, fan-made books (like a feast of ice and fire), T-shirts and so far....

That's nice, too.

No more.

You do that.

Oky-doky.

Doubt it. Most people don't bother getting angry about how fast a book series is being written...they simply find something else to do.

Hes not my bitch. Im not bitching him up. Im not sending him angry e-mails, angry letter and if i see him in the streert i would be nice to him.

However, as I costumer, I wont give him my money anymore because I think he does not deserve it anymore.

No more books, mechandising, T-shitrs, DVD, nothing.... at least from my walltet.

I m sure he hopes to sell lots of World of ice and fire books. I hope he sells none. I hope its not profitble. I hope he sells fewer books than need to get his money back..

If he wants to take 100 years to finish the series, that OK. !00 years from now i will start to buy his products again

You're not bitching him up, you're just bitching that you're not getting "your" product in time. That's the very essence of making GRRM your bitch.

FFS, authoring a novel is not making a latte. 'Customers' do not get to set up rules. If you think that your squeaky bitching will help GRRM quickly create a better fantasy series for you to 'consume,' then you are working in the wrong paradigm. Boycott GRRM all you want; see if he cares. You are not going to be able to influence him commercially; from this endeavor he's already made more money than he probably expected to in his whole life. At this point, I'm guessing that all he cares about is a continuation and ending of the story that he likes. He has your money, and you've already promised him more if he writes more books. Get real. You can't boycott a writer.

I know GRRM wont miss my few bucks... But he would like me to buy the books and products anyway. And I wont. I wont help him turn AWOIAF a best seller. I will try to convice others to do the same.

Most likely he will accomplish that anyway, but not thanks to me

No more.

Heh. I've been doing exactly the same thing since the first ASOIAF novel came out (that is: buy the books only, and not give an intercourse about any other related merchandising), and never realized I was thus taking a firm stand. Way to go, me!

But, let's face the facts: what you're saying to him is, basically, "I'm going to buy your next novel, whenever it's out". I'm afraid that for a writer your threat simply doesn't sound very scary.

You're not bitching him up, you're just bitching that you're not getting "your" product in time. That's the very essence of making GRRM your bitch.

So in order to not to bicth him up I have to buys his products? It seems for me that whats you are saying

Heh. I've been doing exactly the same thing since the first ASOIAF novel came out (that is: buy the books only, and not give an intercourse about any other related merchandising), and never realized I was thus taking a firm stand. Way to go, me!

I haven't even bought anything except the blu-rays- and those were presents for my husband. The books also belong to my husband. Guess I'm super-protester since I own nothing at all GRRM-related, right?

But, let's face the facts: what you're saying to him is, basically, "I'm going to buy your next novel, whenever it's out". I'm afraid that for a writer your threat simply doesn't sound very scary.

I'm sure he's sobbing right now over not being able to afford that gold-plated yacht.

Would you prefer a lesser story six months from now? Or a better story a year from now - that you will turn to again and again in the years to come?

I would like him to get his job done, ASAP, as long he has the time do finish it propely....

He is well know writter, very good at his job. He wrote ASOS in two years. When he was at holywood im sure he wrote as fast as his boss demanded.

I cant demand him to speed up his creative process. Its impossible. But if he is unable to make a quality job as fast as most of the consider reasonable, I wont give him my money anymore, or at least he will wait as much as I have to wait

Archived