Im done with GRRM

geogus

In fact, my reasons for not buying TWoIaF and GoT merchandise is because I don't wanna support Linda or D&D

I feel the same way, actually, when it comes to TWoIaF book. It won't make a difference because I'm sure it will sell quite a lot, but if I'm going to protest something, it's not going to be over how fast a book is written- it is going to be over the fact that I find issue with the author and don't want to support him (or her, in this case).

This is the problem, though. You want to dictate what he and other people completely unrelated to you do. It's fine if you aren't interested in buying his stuff or anything related to his stuff, but that doesn't give you the right to say that he shouldn't be able to sell it to those willing to buy it.

I not dictating what you should do. Im not forcing you to do something. Im just trying to convice as much people as possible with the force of my arguments, to act the way I think is best.

Whats wrong with that.

I think GRRM is in a confort zone... I would like to take him off his confort zone.

Due to his stature Martin nowadays sets the terms so he is very much beyond writing on tight schedules or any schedule for that matter.

Well, sure, but that's outside my point of how writing does/doesn't work as some kind of tuatology. No one is disputing that GRRM gets to decide whether or not he works, however he wants to work whenever he wants to work, if he wants to work or not.

Closest I come to having a criticism on that aspect is the ethical question I raise in my Oriental Express analogy...does selling A as both A in isolation and A as a part of an alphabet ethically suggest an agreement that a series will be completed? And that question itself wouldn't warrant me tipping the bigger ideal that GRRM has autonomy...it's just an interesting ethical angle for me.

I not dictating what you should do. Im not forcing you to do something. Im just trying to convice as much people as possible with the force of my arguments, to act the way I think is best.

Whats wrong with that.

I think GRRM is in a confort zone... I would like to take him off his confort zone.

You said that he shouldn't be able to sell to other people. You can say why you don't want to buy something, that's well and good...but if you don't convince others, you shouldn't say "He shouldn't be able to sell to anyone". That's where it becomes dictating what others do.

I only have one criticism of GRRM - that he doesn't give us any updates. I'm sure he's got his reasons, but it would put so many minds at ease if we could get a yearly update on his progress.

Agreed, just a post "I'm on it" once in a while would do :)

I feel the same way, actually, when it comes to TWoIaF book. It won't make a difference because I'm sure it will sell quite a lot, but if I'm going to protest something, it's not going to be over how fast a book is written- it is going to be over the fact that I find issue with the author and don't want to support him (or her, in this case).

Could you explain why?

I'm just curious because I don't really follow them, but they do bring alot of info I believe.

What? And more importantly, why? Because he is not giving you what he wants, so you started a campaign to get what you feel entitled to? Jesus, GRRM is not writing "How to cure cancer in 10 days" that we have to have it, or else we'll all die, he is writing a book you can read depend on your will. Pressuring anyone to give you something you want regardless of obligation is, with all due respect, kindergarten behavior.

Authors like GRRM play on the fact people will use the term such as "can't rush good work" etc but the fact is simple.

Many MANY other novels from other authors have been done and completed in a 1/4 the time these are done.

If you cannot see why he does this then you are in the boat he has wanted to catch you in.

Your blind to his greed.

Yeah, sure, the 5 years wait between books is clearly due to greed, everyone knows the less books you publish, the more money you make.

Agreed, just a post "I'm on it" once in a while would do :)

Could you explain why?

I'm just curious because I don't really follow them, but they do bring alot of info I believe.

Rather than get OT here, I sent you a PM.

Whats wrong with that.

Maybe that was your intention. However, as I read it, you declared that you'll wait for "The Winds of Winter" indefinitely - or at least you didn't say anything about any deadlines - and when it's out, you will buy it ("I will only buy ASOIAF products again (including world of ice and fire) once GRRM publishes WoW"). If you're going to wait, why should George hurry?

I think people forget that GRRM is a human being with limits and his own impatiences. Ever sat down and seen any interviews with him, or read any transcripts? He is not happy with his Hollywood treatment, he does not revel in the glory so much. He seems to miss being an obscure writer who could afford to meet fans in person, separating his home life from his ASOIAF work.

And I don't know what ASOIAF-related items everyone is talking about purchasing and not purchasing, but when a writer signs over certain rights, he has no control over what the marketing team does with his creative talent. If you're duped into buying a bunch of crap, GRRM has no clue about it, and he is not motivated at all to write faster because of your fanatic devotion.

And if he wants to take some time off and do some Dunk and Egg stories, it is not time 'stolen away' from ASOIAF, it is his own time to do with as he pleases and he may very well have sat and done nothing, rather than given you ASOIAF-related side stories to enjoy while you wait for him to feel like doing more work on ASOIAF.

TWOW - released by the end of 2017

ADOS - released by the end of 2022.

Those are my expectations. I have a whole bunch of other things to enjoy while I wait. Rather than feeling impatient, I feel like I have something to look FORWARD to. Like I can just let go of wishing TWOW was here and know that, like Christmas, something good is waiting for me down the road. Let go.

I think people forget that GRRM is a human being with limits and his own impatiences. Ever sat down and seen any interviews with him, or read any transcripts? He is not happy with his Hollywood treatment, he does not revel in the glory so much. He seems to miss being an obscure writer who could afford to meet fans in person, separating his home life from his ASOIAF work.

And I don't know what ASOIAF-related items everyone is talking about purchasing and not purchasing, but when a writer signs over certain rights, he has no control over what the marketing team does with his creative talent. If you're duped into buying a bunch of crap, GRRM has no clue about it, and he is not motivated at all to write faster because of your fanatic devotion.

And if he wants to take some time off and do some Dunk and Egg stories, it is not time 'stolen away' from ASOIAF, it is his own time to do with as he pleases and he may very well have sat and done nothing, rather than given you ASOIAF-related side stories to enjoy while you wait for him to feel like doing more work on ASOIAF.

TWOW - released by the end of 2017

ADOS - released by the end of 2022.

Those are my expectations. I have a whole bunch of other things to enjoy while I wait. Rather than feeling impatient, I feel like I have something to look FORWARD to. Like I can just let go of wishing TWOW was here and know that, like Christmas, something good is waiting for me down the road. Let go.

I'm fully expecting the show to spoil the ending for me over the next three years, so I don't really care how long it takes for the books to come out- I'm still getting the ending one way or another and that's all that matters to me.

I don't even know what to say, do you think he's written the books already, and is taking a long time just to piss you off or something? You can't rush art, what do you want him to do, rush it and give us a book that's not up to a high standard? And the sheer disrespect for the author who gave us these amazing books in the first place is just shocking.

I'm fully expecting the show to spoil the ending for me over the next three years, so I don't really care how long it takes for the books to come out- I'm still getting the ending one way or another and that's all that matters to me.

Well, that certainly is one POV... I would disagree with this because most certainly books = TV shows, and the equalization of those two is rather flawed. The books are so much more than "what happens at the last page" and the literary beauty of them is in many aspects that are not related with the ending... Basically, the beauty is in the road too. But, that's just my opinion. I suppose to those who are solely interested in what comes next TV show is a valid option.

Well, that certainly is one POV... I would disagree with this because most certainly books = TV shows, and the equalization of those two is rather flawed. The books are so much more than "what happens at the last page" and the literary beauty of them is in many aspects that are not related with the ending... Basically, the beauty is in the road too. But, that's just my opinion. I suppose to those who are solely interested in what comes next TV show is a valid option.

I never said they were equal, or that the ending would be the same. But it will be 'an ending', and as long as I have one of those, I'm content. I simply hate being left hanging, so as long as there is closure of some sort, I will be happy.

Archived