Im done with GRRM

geogus

Now, jokes aside, this is not even... as idiotic as what happened with the Twilight fandom.

1. Meyer writes the last book

2. The last book is terrible (yeah, even more terrible than we assume it could be) and has few mistakes.

3. Fans notice this. They complain.

4. Meyer says "yeah, well, the mistakes are open to interpretation!".

5. Fans start an online petition for her to REWRITE the books, correcting the mistakes.

6. Meyer's people (her brother) tells fans pretty much "GTFO" and he confesses he NEVER let bad critics to reach her, because that would hurt her.

I dunno what is worst here: Meyer writing a bad book, the fans DEMANDING her to rewrite the book or Meyer and her people accepting she never reads negative critics about her work.

Compared to that, we're pretty much a sane fandom.

Was it the pep talk the princess gave to the army that made you cringe? I liked the witch's powers and the magical forest(s), but my favorite part is right at the end when everyone's just standing in the throneroom for a real long time and then the movie ends. The director must have been thinking, "This shot is really working!"

I seriously disagree with this.

First, it depends on the person, but Shakespeare, Dickens, and on down the line show that much of the greatest writing in history was done on a very tight schedule indeed. Many great writers, including Hemingway (who is an ass, but on this point reflects a common view in the field) suggest that being able to write on demand rather than awaiting the muse is exactly what separates a writer from a gifted dilettante.

Secondly, I would say it depends on the person, but although I don't know his non Westeros stuff myself, some of the works of which Martin is said to be most proud were written on a tight schedule, so it's not like he's not wired that way.

In my hubris, I don't think much about Hemingway, and although I love me some Shakespeare, I'm not blind to his rip-offs from other stories and less-than-ingenious parts of his works.

Besides, I never claimed that a writer absolutely cannot write under a schedule. Or that the result is necessarily crappy. What I do know from experience, though, is that while you can create a solid piece of writing within a time limit, you will create a better one if you have the time to write and rewrite and polish and then come back and rewrite some more.

On top of that, the scope of ASOIAF is immense. It's not just a book, it's a world, and GRRM's opus magnum. That puts its writing into an entirely different category than any of his previous books.

it doesnt matter if I did or did not write an text with thousand words ot that took months to do . Im not hypocrital. Its not my job.

However, I work with text, since Im attorney in my country. They´re not as big as big as ASoIAF series, I acknowlowdge, but I deal with tight deadlines, and I ve never missed one

I didn't accuse you of hypocrisy but of ignorance. Being able to build a house doesn't make you able to carve a statue, sorry.

I seriously disagree with this.

First, it depends on the person, but Shakespeare, Dickens, and on down the line show that much of the greatest writing in history was done on a very tight schedule indeed. Many great writers, including Hemingway (who is an ass, but on this point reflects a common view in the field) suggest that being able to write on demand rather than awaiting the muse is exactly what separates a writer from a gifted dilettante.

Secondly, I would say it depends on the person, but although I don't know his non Westeros stuff myself, some of the works of which Martin is said to be most proud were written on a tight schedule, so it's not like he's not wired that way.

It depends on the writer, the work, and the circumstances. Martin has been taking around 5 years (give or take) per book in this series. And quite frankly, with all the knots to untangle, characters to juggle, and invented facts to check, I'm surprised it doesn't take longer. He also turns in nearly perfect manuscripts which means the editing doesn't take nearly as long, so the actual publishing process gets sped up considerably.

Shakespeare's not really a good example. It's easier to work on deadlines when you are retelling someone else's story rather than coming up with something original.

it doesnt matter if I did or did not write an text with thousand words ot that took months to do . Im not hypocrital. Its not my job.

However, I work with text, since Im attorney in my country. They´re not as big as big as ASoIAF series, I acknowlowdge, but I deal with tight deadlines, and I ve never missed one

"I work with text" is light years away from writing a decent novel, let alone a really good one. A novel is a minimum of 50,000 words (some say 40,000) and has to tell a story. Legal documents are nothing like that. I know from experience with both.

And yes, actually writing a novel or other book yourself does give you a very different perspective on the subject.

Authors like GRRM play on the fact people will use the term such as "can't rush good work" etc but the fact is simple.

Many MANY other novels from other authors have been done and completed in a 1/4 the time these are done.

If you cannot see why he does this then you are in the boat he has wanted to catch you in.

Your blind to his greed.

And many MANY novels also suck. Being done quickly does not have anything to do with quality.

It's not about "rushing good work." Look at the sheer number of characters in the series. This thing has expanded exponentially and that makes it harder to finish.

If you cannot see why he does this...blah blah blah. He started writing the series a very long time ago and didn't even know if any publisher would want it. His average writing time per book has remained pretty much constant. The first three were only released closer together because they were originally the first one, and got split. We don't know how long it took him to write all three of them as one massive book.

The man writes because he is a writer. That's the way it is with all writers. We write because we have to. We have stories to tell and we will tell them whether anyone reads them or not.

Quit bringing money into it. Complaining about someone else being rich makes people sound jealous and petty.

Ah, yes. The entitlement thread. It's been so long, I have missed these.

"Doesn't pay respect to his fans". Bull-fucking-shit. By all accounts he's a very approachable man, will sign autographs etc. if you run into him in the street. Speaks to fans directly through his "not a blog". I think he has a great respect for his fans. But equating that with him not having a new book for you to read when YOU want it is a stretch.

Be thankful that he came up with this world, this story in the first place. None of us could've done it, or done it nearly as well, if we had three or four times the amount of time he's had.

Get over yourself, you keep going with your little personal boycott and let us know if that speeds up his writing.

I do think Pwincess and Kween and Oberyn Knock Off #69 Invades Pointless Isles and Other Pointless Tid-bits were quite comical in their unsatisfyingness. But I fear I will probably buy any more that appear.

Although perhaps not this sorta-encyclopedia that is specifically 90% written by intermediaries, that's all getting a bit Catholic Church interprets Word to Faithful for my taste (though it's true on the evidence of his last two productions the big man could do with some ghosting).

I Wonder what would happen if GRRM decided one morning that he doesn't want to write ASOIAF anymore...

He probably would not tell us, for the obvious reason that it would have a VERY negative effect on book sales.

In short, it might not be noticeably different from the current situation; though I draw no conclusions as to that.

Bro/Sis i agree with you but i would prefer he writes the books properly than him hurrying i read too many mangas that ended horribly because the editors rushed the writers man.

the man has averaged 1 word a minute 4.5 hours a day 5 days a week since the release of aGoT... we should see the book next fall if he can keep that breakneck speed.

By-the-by headstone carvers get more than one word a minute working in granite...

Archived