The true danger of Gerold Dayne

OberynBlackfyre

Could Gerlold Dayne be a dragon seed from Aerys Targaryen?

We know that over the years, the court of Aerys got increasingly more and more Dornish. As Doran and Oberyns mother was companion to Queen Rhaella, and then when Rhaegar became betrothed to Elia.

Now the mother of Darkstar is up for debate, however I do think it was a Dornish woman, which is why they can easily pass him off as a Dayne since Daynes have Valyrian coloring, and Dornish features as well.

However, now this is where it gets spicy, I think that Gerold Daynes mother could also somehow place him in line to the Martell Household, or maybe even the House of one of their rivals. This is why Doran remarks that Gerold is the "most dangerous man in Dorne", because if he wanted to, he could not only vie for the Iron Throne, he could also vie to become leader of Dorne. He could easily play on the pretenses that Doran is weak and has done nothing to try and avenge Dorne for the now many "wrongs" done against their nation......and he can also win them over because there would be a half Dornish King upon the Iron Throne.

I know the evidence for it is slim, only that Gerold fits the age to be a bastard of a coupling that happened before there was any bad blood between the Targaryens and Dorne, and also before any of Aerys' TRUE madness was known throughout the kingdoms. If there was a bastard that needed to be placed somewhere, it could have been done so through Arthur Dayne, or many of the other Dornish envoys that were around the court so its not completely crazy to think in those terms. Arianne also remarks about Gerolds coloring when we see him in AFFC, and we also see that Darkstar has more than enough of the "dragon blood" like pomposity. House Dayne would also of course be a good fit to stash a Dornish/ Targaryen bastard since Daynes have the Valyrians coloring without needing the heritage, and also boast from Dorne so that would of course give them some of the Dornish qualities as well.

And, this would also completely fit as to why Doran stated that he was the "most dangerous man in Dorne", and even then a quote later from Daemon Sand that even Oberyn thought that Darkstar should have been taken care of.

Could this be plausible? And if so, do you think that Gerold knows of his own heritage?

I don't think Aerys was that much of a womanizer. It's never indicated he was such and the general opinion of him does not seem to be that of a womanizer. Doesn't mean he couldn't be, I suppose, but for Joanna and Gerold Dayne's potential mother both to go so under the radar seems unlikely. If he were to have fooled around with high profile people like Gerold Dayne's mother and Joanna, chances are there would have been others as well.

Aerys didn't do anything with Joanna. I am just assuming that because both of these theories happening together are unlikely.

I suppose people forget that someone having legitimate surname means that the person is not a bastard... If royal blood needed to be hidden, then it is normal to expect some House would do that, but they would name it with bastard surname, ahem, ahem, Jon Snow.

Could be that he gets his "I am of the night" nonsense from the branch of Targaryen poetry opposite of Rhaegar's melancholy. It'd be interesting at any rate.

or would that be "i am of the first night"?

it could explain Rhaegar's disrespectful behaviour towards her, and Aerys' suspiciousness towards Rhaegar.

the first' night is banned in Westeros and his presence would have been disaster at court - proof the king had broken the law or a focal point for strife between father and son, so he would be given a false identity and taken away to a rich hermitage, taking a prestigious family surname.

i'm not sure that makes him really dangerous, but i'm guessing that would make him more "Targ" than Tommen is claiming via the Baratheon line.

Here's a theory for you:

House Dayne of High Hermitage was founded when a Targaryen descendant female married a younger Dayne son. Gerold has the blood of the dragon, but is a legitimate Dayne.

Or...and the pot will shatter on this one...he is the long-lost son of Aerys and Rhaella. Born between Rhaegar and Viserys, little Gerold (who should be called Jaeraeld) was stolen at birth. His parents were told he died, and he was whisked away to Dorne and given to House Dayne for reasons relating to the prophecy of The Dragon that was Promised. It is he, Darkstar, who will save all of Westeros with fire and blood. He is the Promised Prince, Azor Ahai Reborn, the Stallion Who Mounts the Wall (little Dothraki translation error there), and the true hero of the series!

Also Jon is just some bastard Ned had with a fisherman's daughter.

Well, Arianne did say their kids would be "as beautiful as dragonlords." Still, I'm of the mind that Darkstar is Darkstar, a Dayne of High Hermitage plain and simple. He's dangerous because he has a lot of anger, he's hungry for war, he has an inferiority complex, and he's cruel (noted by Arianne). How many Dornshmen does it take to start a war? Just one. And Darkstar nearly got them there.

I suppose people forget that someone having legitimate surname means that the person is not a bastard... If royal blood needed to be hidden, then it is normal to expect some House would do that, but they would name it with bastard surname, ahem, ahem, Jon Snow.

mmm not really. And Jon Snow is a perfect example. Also, who said that Gerold NEEDED to be hidden? At this point in time, he was a shame, not a threat.

In these books, lieing about a name is never a huge deal. Jons name is probably 100% fabricated by Ned. There was a good chance that Rhaegar + Lyanna were married......and even if they weren't Jons last name could be Waters to betoken a bastard from the Crownlands, or Sands simply because of WHERE he was born.

Like Robert bastards, you have Mya Stone and Edric Storm....they came from the same father, and people knew that for a certainty, yet their names remained seemingly regional to where they were born.

Also, what of Gerold WAS a bastard, but when he earned his knighthood or showed prowess, he was legitimized by Aerys on the down low? Or by Robert? (who I'm sure would have thought nothing of it, having bastards of his own). A name, in this world, isn't exact proof of anything.

I also wanted to be clear that if Gerold has Tagaryen or Martell heritage

(-side note, I think he also might be an offspring from a Targaryen princess and Prince Lewyn Martell of the Kingsguard since as we know he had a paramour.)

then I don't think he is being "hidden" in the sense of scheming, I think he was more just thrown under the rug and looked at kind of like a "shame".

For instance if he HAD been the get of A Targaryen woman and Prince Lewyn, then Lewyn might have went to his brother Arthur Dayne and asked for his assistance in taking the child into his family, etc. In no way o I think anybody was like "lets stash this guy away for some scheming later on". He was truly, just a bastard swept under the table yet hidden to avoid shame, not plotting.

We have confirmation (from Ran, I think) that Gerold Dayne is no one's bastard. He is a legitimate child...of somebody. Most likely the last Knight of High Hermitage.

A dance of dragons, who says it had to be only 2? in the original dance, dragonseed who had dragons tried to become kings too. Why not?

Exactly. Aegon, Daenerys, Daario. Three dragons, three claimants. Ooh, maybe Aegon is fake but not a Blackfyre, maybe he's from Aerion Brightflame's line. Then with Daario taking the Blackfyre role we have all three covered!

mmm not really. And Jon Snow is a perfect example. Also, who said that Gerold NEEDED to be hidden? At this point in time, he was a shame, not a threat.

In these books, lieing about a name is never a huge deal. Jons name is probably 100% fabricated by Ned. There was a good chance that Rhaegar + Lyanna were married......and even if they weren't Jons last name could be Waters to betoken a bastard from the Crownlands, or Sands simply because of WHERE he was born.

Like Robert bastards, you have Mya Stone and Edric Storm....they came from the same father, and people knew that for a certainty, yet their names remained seemingly regional to where they were born.

Also, what of Gerold WAS a bastard, but when he earned his knighthood or showed prowess, he was legitimized by Aerys on the down low? Or by Robert? (who I'm sure would have thought nothing of it, having bastards of his own). A name, in this world, isn't exact proof of anything.

Actually you have completely missed the point and played on the card I actually pointed at.

Mya STONE, Edric STORM, Jon SNOW - What are those? Bastard surnames

Gerold DAYNE - Well, that is not a bastard name. That is a family name. Name that is given to a legitimate offspring of a family member.

And Jon being named as Cat's son would be actually parallel with Gerold Dayne and the scenario you propose.

Hiding someone as a bastard is easy, basically all you have to say that mother is some random woman, to hide someone as legitimate offspring would need much more logistic hoops. You have to basically direct entire show from mother being pregnant, to finding appropriate maesters to keep it hidden etc. Something that is completely impossible.

And your scenario is quite impossible. Currently, Gerold is in his late 20ies - 27-29. Take of that 17 years since Aerys isn-t on the Throne, he would be 10-12, too young to be a knight. And Robert legitimizing him? Man didn't legitimized his own bastards, let alone some Dornish...

All and all, this, like many Gerold theories, is simply based on readers wanting him to be someone else. Well, he isn't.

Archived