Trial by Folly: The Arianne Martell Reread Project [TWOW Arianne I spoilers]

Chebyshov

WRT Dornish autonomy, it's noteable that Dorne is the only one of the Seven Kingdoms that's granted a territorial seat on the Small Council. The other councillors represent the King in his dealings with Westeros, but the Dornish councillor is there to represent Dornish interests.

Possibly they lost that right, after the fall of Aerys, but Tyrion and Tywin restored it.

Huh? Aerys II had no Dornish representative on the SC that we know of, and it is unlikely that he had one. IIRC, the Dornish seat is just a "prize" of sorts that Tywin gave to Dorne, just like all the Reachmen seats.

WRT Dornish autonomy, it's noteable that Dorne is the only one of the Seven Kingdoms that's granted a territorial seat on the Small Council. The other councillors represent the King in his dealings with Westeros, but the Dornish councillor is there to represent Dornish interests.

Possibly they lost that right, after the fall of Aerys, but Tyrion and Tywin restored it.

Ehm.. The Small Council does not have one seat for a person from one kingdom.. At least, not for as far as is known. Perhaps that originally was the case, sure, during the reign of Aegon I, as was most likely for the Kingsguard. But none of that is currently the case.

Tyrion asking Doran to accept a seat on the Small Council is a show of appreciation. The highborn way of ass-kissing, so to speak. It is a way of telling someone that you appreciate them so much, and trust them so much, that you entrust them with advising the king on how to rule the kingdoms.

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Throughout her imprisonment, she obsesses over what went wrong with her plan. She regrets its consequences, but she never actually tries to dodge responsibility, nor does she ever admit that maybe she was wrong to try anything at all.

She dangles marriage, in a vague, non-committal way in front of her potential rescuer but quickly decides she would rather face death than submit to an unwanted husband. She makes it clear to the reader that she would never willingly give up any control over her own situation.

This is an important aspect. She doesn't blame anyone else, she doesn't insist that it wasn't her fault.

The fact that she would rather face death that an unwanted husband, shows her stubborness and strength.

The Lesson of the Water Gardens

Arianne doesn’t have Doran’s reputation for doing-stuff-phobia, but Doran has always done more than people think he does, and we’ve already discussed at length how much it took for Arianne to take the action that she did, so it might be that, despite their reputations among readers, Doran and Arianne’s way of thinking are quite close to each other.

She shares his abhorrence of the thought of harming children, particularly as a means to an end.

When she’s locked up, she’s terrified of what will happen to her, and I don’t think even her detractors could blame her for that, but her chief preoccupation is still her guilt over

Arys, Myrcella, her friends locked up, she believes, on Ghaston Grey, and even the Sand Snakes, imprisoned, she believes, for supporting her.

Indeed, Arianne is against killing children, as is Doran. Very important, because we've already seen Lords who have absolutely no problem with hurting the young innocents.

As to what Chebyshov says, about no one calling Tyrion a fool for thinking about crowning Myrcella, I think that might be because Tyrion never got a chance to actually go through with the plan. Arianne did, and it failed, and it got Myrcella hurt. That's the difference between the two.

Arianne had certainly been naive in thinking that she could win her battle without anyone getting hurt, with everything going as she hoped it would go. But I think that the alternative was just the thing that she did not want to consider, even for a second. The alternative was failing, and being set aside.

And of course, if Rhaenys Targaryan will forgive me for encroaching on her territory a little, after more than a month of imprisonment and silence, after being so broken down by her own guilt and sense of uselessness that she’s ready to starve herself to death, what’s the first thing she asks Areo Hotah, the man she could so easily blame for her entire predicament?

I forgive :P

Observations and Other Randomness

I bet he was.

Thank the gods for that! Although it may have been the most efficient way to get rid of him.

and

Her terror at being married off to a random old guy with an axeman standing behind her is indicative of this.

She doesn’t just want a husband she can find at least moderately sexual attractive, although I’m sure she wants that too, but one “with teeth” who could actually be useful with the whole ruling Dorne thing.

But the thing she fears the most is also the reason why she thinks her father has been trying to marry her off in the first place: because he doesn’t love her.

[...]

And what’s worse, he tries to marry her off to someone who anyone in this universe would see as beneath her. So he doesn’t even want her to be happy. So he saddles her with something else that most people would consider beneath her, being Party Planner of Dorne, and then he doesn’t even show up to the feast she throws for him when he returns to Sunspear. So, she concludes, he wants her to be a useless, unhappy, unimportant, little girl. What the hell else is she suppose to think?

[...]

She dangles marriage, in a vague, non-committal way in front of her potential rescuer but quickly decides she would rather face death than submit to an unwanted husband. She makes it clear to the reader that she would never willingly give up any control over her own situation.

On the topic of marriage, there's an interesting pattern to be seen here. I had originally written it for my analysis, because there she listed all the men Doran had "offered" to wed her to, which got me thinking.. but I think this first half of the chapter is a much better place for it.

The Grooms:

There’s a funny difference between the suitors that Doran had “picked out” for Arianne, and the suitors she herself thoughts worthy, despite the obvious: their age :P

Not only did Doran only choose greybeards and soon-to-be greybeards, he chose rather minor lords. Gyles Rosby, Ben Beesbury, Lord Grandison, Walder Frey, Eldon Estermont. Most with heirs of their own. And while Arianne had her eyes set, rather clearly, on a somewhat younger husband, perhaps unconsciously, she had been setting her sights on lords as high as she could find them:

• Renly Baratheon, Lord of Storm’s End, and the rightful liege of the Stormlands
  • Edmure Tully. While this match was Hoster Tully’s idea, Edmure would one day be the rightful lord of the Riverlands
  • Willas Tyrell. Completely Arianne’s idea (Mace and Olenna would not have liked it, for sure), to try and match herself with the future ruling liege of the Reach.

Would this, perhaps unconsciously, have been an attempt to “salvage what she could”? Believing that Quentyn would get Dorne one day, was this Arianne’s attempt to at least secure some of her rights? Becoming the wife of a ruling lord would of course not be the same as actually ruling a Kingdom of your own, but it would be the next best thing, after ruling Dorne.

If Arianne had married Renly, and Quentyn had indeed gotten Dorne, in Arianne's mind, what would she be getting then? She would be the highest lady in the Stormlands. The same would go for wedding Edmure (Riverlands) and Willas (Reach).. Arianne would ensure that she would at least remain in a position of power (though the power would be less than when she would be ruling Dorne), and her children would actually inherit a seat of power.

This could explain why it took Arianne 9 years since the discovery to finally act, in addition to all the reasons speculated earlier in this thread. These three young rulers, or rulers-to-be, of the kingdoms, were the only candidates left.

• The North: Robb Stark was obviously too young, with the seven year age difference in Arianne’s disadvantage, and his brothers even younger. Ned was married. In the north, there was no potential marriage for her.
  • Iron Islands: Ariane discovered Doran’s letter in 290AC, a year after Lord Balons older sons, Maron and Rodrik died. Had they survived, Arianne might have even considered the eldest of the two, but they had died a year before in the Greyjoy Rebellion, and were thus no longer an option.
  • Westerlands: no marriage to a Lannister – ever! Though Tyrion would have been age-appropriate, for a variety of reasons, including him not being Tywins heir, and of course being a Lannister, he was not included in her thoughts.
  • The Vale: there was no heir to marry. Sweetrobin was much too young.
  • Crownlands: As was Joffrey. Too young, an though it would have been an interesting try on Arianne´s account, Joffrey, in her eyes back then, was half-Lannister, which was half a Lannister too much.

So basically, Edmure, Renly and Willas were the only options, and she tried with all three. We can’t know for sure whether or not she tried to contact Willas (if she had, and told him that she was coming to meet him, we can even wonder whether it was Willas who told Oberyn, seeing as how those two seem to be good pen pals), and if so, how long they were communicating before her attempt to get to the Reach failed.

In Edmure’s case, she might have tried to convince Doran for quite some time, despite him having turned the offer down already. And in Renly’s case.. How long was he in Sunspear? As it is mentioned that Arianne herself was only “half a girl”, and Renly more bemused than seduced, I have wondered on when this event took place. Arianne was born in 276AC, Renly in 277AC. Arianne is the elder of the two, yet so, it sounds like Arianne believes that Renly was only not seduced because she was still too young, and thus too unexperienced, in seducing men. I speculate personally that this trip to Dorne was during Renly’s coming of age tour, which he took when he was 16.. Though that would make Arianne 17 years old (and place this event in late 293AC, early 294AC), an age where I wonder whether she would still be calling herself “half a girl”, seeing as she obviously thought of herself as a woman grown since the age of 16. So perhaps my original thought is wrong, and Renly travelled to Dorne before his tour celebrating his 16th nameday.

The order is also interesting.. If Arianne is indeed telling it in the order that it happened, Renly came first. Arianne saw an oppertunity, and she took it. Next came Edmure, thanks to Hoster. Until now, Arianne might have been telling herself, or believed, that Doran did not dare trying to find her a consort amongst higherborn, younger heirs, but Doran turned Hosters' offer down.. a slap in the face, for Arianne, whose fears would be confirmed here with this.

Next came Arianne's own attempt. Tired of waiting for Lords to offer their sons, and knowing that Doran would turn the young ones down, Arianne attempted to marry the cripple heir, which, again, failed..

She could have ended it all, by marrying a Dornishman's son.. We know there were plenty of those who wanted to marry her, who desired her and had she looked hard enough, she would have found one who wouldn't have minded that Doran hadn't signed off on it officially.. In the eyes of Dorne, Arianne was still the heiress to Dorne after all.. Yet she didn't do this, and as far as we've been able to see in her thoughts, it did not cross her mind either.

An interesting thing about Renly’s visit is that Arianne seems not to have noticed that Renly is homosexual. We can only hope that she had learned to discover this by now (she also can’t tell whether Daemon Sand is interested in men, when she in a later chapter thinks about how she doesn’t know whether Daemon has actually slept with Oberyn or not), because any meeting with Jon Connington might become a bit awkward otherwise :)

Ehm.. The Small Council does not have one seat for a person from one kingdom.. At least, not for as far as is known. Perhaps that originally was the case, sure, during the reign of Aegon I, as was most likely for the Kingsguard. But none of that is currently the case.

Tyrion asking Doran to accept a seat on the Small Council is a show of appreciation. The highborn way of ass-kissing, so to speak. It is a way of telling someone that you appreciate them so much, and trust them so much, that you entrust them with advising the king on how to rule the kingdoms.

I think in this little clique we're very attached to the head canon idea that Dorne got a very, very good deal when the joined the Seven Kingdoms, and having a permanent seat on the Small Council seems like a pretty obvious thing to give them.

She could have ended it all, by marrying a Dornishman's son.. We know there were plenty of those who wanted to marry her, who desired her and had she looked hard enough, she would have found one who wouldn't have minded that Doran hadn't signed off on it officially.. In the eyes of Dorne, Arianne was still the heiress to Dorne after all.. Yet she didn't do this, and as far as we've been able to see in her thoughts, it did not cross her mind either.

Well that's probably a combination of the fact that she doesn't want to give him an excuse to actually pull the disinheritance trigger and the fact that she really, really cares what he thinks.

An interesting thing about Renly’s visit is that Arianne seems not to have noticed that Renly is homosexual. We can only hope that she had learned to discover this by now (she also can’t tell whether Daemon Sand is interested in men, when she in a later chapter thinks about how she doesn’t know whether Daemon has actually slept with Oberyn or not), because any meeting with Jon Connington might become a bit awkward otherwise :)

Gaydar, huh? We all know that gaydar is less reliable than Cersei's sense of perspective, right?

And I'm not sure if she can't tell if Daemon is interesting in men or not, or if he was interesting in Oberyn or not.

I think in this little clique we're very attached to the head canon idea that Dorne got a very, very good deal when the joined the Seven Kingdoms, and having a permanent seat on the Small Council seems like a pretty obvious thing to give them.

Yet it doesn't sound like Doran or his mother had a seat on the Small Council during Aerys' reign.

Well that's probably a combination of the fact that she doesn't want to give him an excuse to actually pull the disinheritance trigger and the fact that she really, really cares what he thinks.

Yes, that could be it. :)

A couple of things I wanted to mention:

Hotah made no reply, except to grunt. Arianne could feel his anger. Darkstar had escaped him, the most dangerous of all her little group of plotters. He had outraced all his pursuers and vanished into the deep desert, with blood upon his blade.

For Hotah, arresting Arianne must have been very difficult. She's his "little princess", after all, and as has been pointed out, he still sees her as a little girl, sometimes.

“What you meant does not matter, little princess,” Areo Hotah said. “Only what you did.” His countenance was stony. “I am sorry. It is for my prince to command, for Hotah to obey.”

Hotah points out a very important theme in the series. Your actions count, not what you had meant by it. Take a look at Robb Stark, with this, He wanted to do right by Jeyne Westerling, by marrying her after sleeping with her. But that didn't matter to most people. All that mattered to them was what Robb had done: breaking his vows.

With Arianne, we see the same thing here. She wanted so many things, but in the end, her intentions don't matter much.. Only what happened.

Also, I thought it funny how Hotah is speaking about himself in the third person (and naming himself by his last name, not even his first name.. )

Wait...

Are we discussing The Princess in the Tower Part 2 now?

Nope, just part 1 this week. Hotah's conversation that Rhaenys just mentioned comes in Arianne's reflection at the beginning of the chapter.

I've likely got another lengthy post coming, but for now, very quick point re: Arianne's gaydar: she was still "half a girl" with Renly, so her sexual perception/intuition was likely not developed. With Daemon I think her confusion there might be more personal in nature, though I'm sure Julia will speak more to their dynamic. Now, it would be hilarious if that's her one weakness when it comes to reading people. But yeah, let's give her some benefit of the doubt; that wasn't a skill I honed until I was firmly in my 20s.

Apparently it was never in her plans to marry a Dornishman? I guess Doran told her that at some point, because she thinks about how she "accepted" that. I'm wondering what reasons he provided her, and why she didn't badger him more about this point after he turned down Hoster's offer of Edmure.

Nope, just part 1 this week. Hotah's conversation that Rhaenys just mentioned comes in Arianne's reflection at the beginning of the chapter.

I've likely got another lengthy post coming, but for now, very quick point re: Arianne's gaydar: she was still "half a girl" with Renly, so her sexual perception/intuition was likely not developed. With Daemon I think her confusion there might be more personal in nature, though I'm sure Julia will speak more to their dynamic. Now, it would be hilarious if that's her one weakness when it comes to reading people. But yeah, let's give her some benefit of the doubt; that wasn't a skill I honed until I was firmly in my 20s.

Apparently it was never in her plans to marry a Dornishman? I guess Doran told her that at some point, because she thinks about how she "accepted" that. I'm wondering what reasons he provided her, and why

she didn't badger him more about this point after he turned down Hoster's offer of Edmure.

Homosexuality is not despised in Dorne. So, why do people whisper about the Ser Daemon and Prince Oberyn?

My guess would be that no one would despise Daemon for having been Oberyn's lover. But, Dorne is a warrior culture. They would despise Daemon if they thought Oberyn had awarded him a knighthood for having been his lover, rather than for his prowess as a warrior.

We should see Dorne, in that respect, as similar to Sparta.

Homosexuality is not despised in Dorne. So, why do people whisper about the Ser Daemon and Prince Oberyn?

My guess would be that no one would despise Daemon for having been Oberyn's lover. But, Dorne is a warrior culture. They would despise Daemon if they thought Oberyn had awarded him a knighthood for having been his lover, rather than for his prowess as a warrior.

I agree that Dorne is militaristic, not unlike their northern neighbors the Marcher Lords in this respect. But 'Sparta' might be an exaggeration.

I agree that Dorne is militaristic, not unlike their northern neighbors the Marcher Lords in this respect. But 'Sparta' might be an exaggeration.

Dorne isn't Sparta. But, there could be a similarity in the form of sexual relationships between older warriors and younger trainees being thought acceptable.

Good insight. Remember Dorne's unofficial motto: "It's the sword in a man's hand that determines his worth, not the one between his legs."

Daemon does seem to be respected as a warrior in his own right as this point. No one seems to bat an eye when he gives Lady Toland military advice, for example.

To add my own two cents: gossiping about a hookup doesn't mean an inherent discomfort or stigma against the hookup. People were probably just curious, especially given his [likely largely known] relationship with the princess.

Anyway, back to Arianne...

This is an important aspect. She doesn't blame anyone else, she doesn't insist that it wasn't her fault.
The fact that she would rather face death that an unwanted husband, shows her stubborness and strength.

And her strong moral compass. She may be willing to use less-than-savory means to reach her end (manipulation), but she seems to be a "good" player in the game. All she needs to do is hone in the ability to study the bigger picture and understand how the ends will likely play out. Honestly, I think she was almost there with the QM plot. She had incomplete information, but acted reasonably with what she had. I think her total self-deprecation in this chapter suggests that she is not likely to make the same mistake twice.

As to what Chebyshov says, about no one calling Tyrion a fool for thinking about crowning Myrcella, I think that might be because Tyrion never got a chance to actually go through with the plan. Arianne did, and it failed, and it got Myrcella hurt. That's the difference between the two.

Arianne had ct the alternative was just the thing that she did not want to consider, even for a second. The alternative was failing, and being set aside.

Exactly, she was crowning Myrcella to secure her rights. Tyrion was suggesting it because he thought it would be "droll." I'm just saying it wasn't a shit idea, and the guy who most people point to as being one of the best political minds even thought so. I also still think Myrcella wouldn't have necessarily died.

On the topic of marriage, there's an interesting pattern to be seen here. I had originally written it for my analysis, because there she listed all the men Doran had "offered" to wed her to, which got me thinking.. but I think this first half of the chapter is a much better place for it.

The Grooms:
There’s a funny difference between the suitors that Doran had “picked out” for Arianne, and the suitors she herself thoughts worthy, despite the obvious: their age :P

Not only did Doran only choose greybeards and soon-to-be greybeards, he chose rather minor lords. Gyles Rosby, Ben Beesbury, Lord Grandison, Walder Frey, Eldon Estermont. Most with heirs of their own. And while Arianne had her eyes set, rather clearly, on a somewhat younger husband, perhaps unconsciously, she had been setting her sights on lords as high as she could find them:

• Renly Baratheon, Lord of Storm’s End, and the rightful liege of the Stormlands
  • Edmure Tully. While this match was Hoster Tully’s idea, Edmure would one day be the rightful lord of the Riverlands
  • Willas Tyrell. Completely Arianne’s idea (Mace and Olenna would not have liked it, for sure), to try and match herself with the future ruling liege of the Reach.
Would this, perhaps unconsciously, have been an attempt to “salvage what she could”? Believing that Quentyn would get Dorne one day, was this Arianne’s attempt to at least secure some of her rights? Becoming the wife of a ruling lord would of course not be the same as actually ruling a Kingdom of your own, but it would be the next best thing, after ruling Dorne.

I'm actually wondering if she set her sights on those guys, because then she'd figure that once Doran died or tried to name Quentyn his successor, she'd have another host at her back. Doran wouldn't dare supplant her if she had both her Dornish popularity and the strength of, say, the Tyrell host. This might have been her Plan A in a long list of plans ever since she saw the letter.

In Edmure’s case, she might have tried to convince Doran for quite some time, despite him having turned the offer down already.

I wonder how old she was when the offer for Edmure came. Because I'm floored she didn't confront him after that. Or vice versa. Doran must have realized more serious/attractive offers might come her way, so even despite his assumptions about her, it seemed almost riskier to not talk to her. I wonder if he offended Hoster?

Tyrion crowning Myrcella would have been an awful idea.

It would have meant war with his family, and between Dorne and the government in Kings Landing. And, Tywin might well have killed Myrcella to finish off the war.

Poor Myrcella is a dead girl walking, in any case. The Sand Snakes want her dead, piece by piece.

The Sand Snakes have never suggested harming her, actually.

As to Tyrion, when he was contemplating it he had already killed Tywin and was kind of just YOLOing. He thought it might have been amusing. But my point was that the exact same plot, which I don't view as inherently doomed as Doran does, was proposed by both Arianne and Tyrion, and yet only one of them has a reputation for being an idiot on the forums, despite the fact she actually had a good motivation. It's more of an aside than anything to analyze...I think our discussion has already illuminated both the sound logic and careful planning on Arianne's part that the QM plot involved.

The Sand Snakes have never suggested harming her, actually.

As to Tyrion, when he was contemplating it he had already killed Tywin and was kind of just YOLOing. He thought it might have been amusing. But my point was that the exact same plot, which I don't view as inherently doomed as Doran does, was proposed by both Arianne and Tyrion, and yet only one of them has a reputation for being an idiot on the forums, despite the fact she actually had a good motivation. It's more of an aside than anything to analyze...I think our discussion has already illuminated both the sound logic and careful planning on Arianne's part that the QM plot involved.

Thanks. On checking, I see you're right. Nym proposed killing Tommen, and Ellaria accused the Sand Snakes of wishing to kill Myrcella (among others) but they've not actually suggested it.

Perhaps the reason that the Obara, Nym and Tyene weren't able to hear Arianne shouting is that the Spear Tower was a hundred and a half feet high, and Arianne was nearly at the top.. How far does sound carry down to the earth when you are shouting from a window? Does anyone know?

I found an interesting pattern that can be seen in this first part of the chapter, how Arianne tries to arrange a visit with her father.

“Take this away and bring me Prince Doran.” But they left the food, and her father did not come. After a while, hunger weakened her resolve, so she sat and ate.

[...]

Someone told. When her father came to see her, she would learn which one.

[...]

“Belandra,” Arianne said, a few days later, “if you ever loved my lady mother, take pity on her poor daughter and tell me when my father means to come and see me. Please. Please.” But Belandra had lost her tongue as well.

[...]

By the time a fortnight had passed, her patience had worn paper-thin. “I will speak with my father now,” she told Bors, in her most commanding voice. “You will take me to him.”

Arianne has been imprisoned a hundrend and a half feet high and Prince Doran's legs have been useless for two years. Yet the first few times she expresses that Doran should come to her. It takes a fortnight before her pace changes, and she demands to be taken to him.

Did she really try to express here that Doran should climb all of those stairs? If so, that might have been as a show of power, a show of her pride. And after a fortnight, that might just be breaking down a bit, as I suspect Doran had planned.

During the time that Arianne expresses that Doran should come to her (instead of her going down all those stairs to go see him), Arianne seems to be repeating a pattern similar to the one she showed during The Soiled Knight. First she commands, then she begs, then she asks to take pity, in other words, first she takes the position of a strong woman, and only in the end does she take on the role of a woman in need of help ("take pity on her poor daughter, please, please.")

It might be nothing, but I found it rather interesting :)

Another few observations from this first half of the chapter:

She had a featherbed to sleep in, and a privy with a marble seat, sweetened by a basketful of herbs.

The dornish toilet freshener! :D

“what has become of Princess Myrcella? I never meant for harm to come to her.” The last she had seen of the other princess had been on their ride back to Sunspear. Too weak to sit a horse, Myrcella had traveled in a litter, her head bound up in silken bandages where Darkstar slashed at her, her green eyes bright with fever.

An interesting parallel of Myrcella with her true father, Jaime.

This does not say "Whoever shall free me, I shall wed". No, Arianne is clever here. Instead of promising to marry which ever Lord or heir of a lord who rescues her from her imprisonment, she solely promises that she shall not forget him when she marries. Leaving her options open to marry someone of her own choice, depending on the person who comes to rescue her. Can she verbally handle this person? He'll be rewarded after Arianne is wed, surely. Can't she verbally handle this person? Then perhaps marrying him becomes an option.

This does not say "Whoever shall free me, I shall wed". No, Arianne is clever here. Instead of promising to marry which ever Lord or heir of a lord who rescues her from her imprisonment, she solely promises that she shall not forget him when she marries. Leaving her options open to marry someone of her own choice, depending on the person who comes to rescue her. Can she verbally handle this person? He'll be rewarded after Arianne is wed, surely. Can't she verbally handle this person? Then perhaps marrying him becomes an option.

Ha, I love this. She has absolutely no leverage in this situation and yet she's giving herself some kind of control. Even if she can't verbally handle it, she could just promise to marry a cousin, or rather not marry a foe of whoever delivers her.

It's all about the exact wording!

Do the Dornish strike anyone else as particularly litigious? There is this titbit:

“When good King Daeron wed Princess Myriah and brought us into his kingdom, it was agreed that Dornish law would always rule in Dorne. And Myrcella is in Dorne, as it happens.”

Yay to treason based on the meanings of prepositions!

Archived