Bolton/Stark rivalry

i think we will get answers soon.

my crackpot- that the boltons thrive in winter when human sacrifice is needed to provide (sorry!) food. the keeping of traditions may well prove pivotal.

the starks lost the initiative when they became too civilised during summer, forgot the old way and their king at the time didn't have the stomach to sacrifice a person to a weirwood come winter and to feast on them. they stopped acknowedging this fundamental law of nature, everyone got desperate, starving, dying, and being executed increasingly for illegal unsanctioned cannibalism and another Stark stepped up, overthrew his King / perhaps his brother? to ensure everyone else could survive. From there, when winter ended, this usurping Stark was castigated / condemned as a savage / Kinslayer, and fled to his home fort as a friendlier heir a more publically acceptable stark with clean hands retook the crown in summer.

From there, the balance of power shifts depending on how bad winter gets and how desperate the North becomes.

If the book covers the conquest of the North through House Stark, the Boltons should feature rather heavily, considering that they are the major rivals of House Stark for supremacy.

i think we will get answers soon.

my crackpot- that the boltons thrive in winter when human sacrifice is needed to provide (sorry!) food. the keeping of traditions may well prove pivotal.

the starks lost the initiative when they became too civilised during summer, forgot the old way and their king at the time didn't have the stomach to sacrifice a person to a weirwood come winter and to feast on them. they stopped acknowedging this fundamental law of nature, everyone got desperate, starving, dying, and being executed increasingly for illegal unsanctioned cannibalism and another Stark stepped up, overthrew his King / perhaps his brother? to ensure everyone else could survive. From there, when winter ended, this usurping Stark was castigated / condemned as a savage / Kinslayer, and fled to his home fort as a friendlier heir a more publically acceptable stark with clean hands retook the crown in summer.

From there, the balance of power shifts depending on how bad winter gets and how desperate the North becomes.

Some of the details about cannibalism are probably crackpot, but I've been saying for a long time that the practice of human sacrifice is some kind of critical factor in the central mysteries of the story, relating to the history of the Starks' relationship with the COTF and the Others, the first men, the wall, the NW, the night's king, etc. so basically I agree. I think you're right that there's something dark and savage relating to the Starks in the deep history, and part of the explanation for what's happening now has to do with the Starks' being more civilized, turning their backs on some fundamental element of nature and super-nature that requires blood and sacrifice.

Some of the details about cannibalism are probably crackpot, but I've been saying for a long time that the practice of human sacrifice is some kind of critical factor in the central mysteries of the story, relating to the history of the Starks' relationship with the COTF and the Others, the first men, the wall, the NW, the night's king, etc. so basically I agree. I think you're right that there's something dark and savage relating to the Starks in the deep history, and part of the explanation for what's happening now has to do with the Starks' being more civilized, turning their backs on some fundamental element of nature and super-nature that requires blood and sacrifice.

I'm leaning towards something along those lines as well. There's a reason blood sacrifice was mentioned (and shown in Bran's vision) so often through Dance, along with cannibalism.

IMO it's probably on par with Mel's burning people and "only death may pay for life". That's why I'm more open to the possibility that Jon, if he's dead (I don't think he is), being resurrected by a blood sacrifice by a northerner rather than something Mel does.

Archived