So where has Varys been?

EddardsHead

Ok guys this is a question that I've been curious of. After Varys helped free Tyrion, following Tywin's death, where did Varys go? Was he in KL the whole time hiding out disguised?

If so do you think he knows all about Robert Strong and everything Qyburn is up to? If that is the case he might send a little bird to Nymeria Sand telling her of Robert Strongs true identity, which would allow Dorne to declare for Aegon. Thoughts?

Even Varys might not know that Robert Strong is Gregor. It seems impossible, after all. As to his whereabouts, he did remain in King's Landing, in some disguise probably, or perhaps completely out of view within the walls of the Red Keep. If anybody gets wind that Robert Strong is in fact Gregor, then of course Dorne will be PO'd.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH HEDGE KNIGHT STATUS SON!

so Varys had at least 6 children working for him at the end of ADWD, and we are to imagine none of them heard the screaming under the red keep, or managed to clap eyes on Qyburn's experiments during any of AFFC?

Hmmmm. Varys knew the black cells intimately. He spent half his time pretending to be a gaoler, and Qyburn used the black cells for his experiments. the idea that Varys at no stage went down to the lower levels (where he, more than likely hid out, whilst his children fed him news) seems...a stretch of the imagination.

The best moment to spoil the secret is at the beginning of the fight, when Cersei is committed. In public- the Martell's accuse Cersei- challenge her to prove he isn't Gregor- and the proverbial hits the fan.

I think he was in Dorne, or at least trying to contact someone in Dorne (Darkstar, for one)

Remember that Dorne is key for Aegon's plans, and remember in aSoS, when Oberyn is talking to Tyrion and he tells him that Myrcella is Queen by Dornish law and Tyrion thinks something like, "If Varys' birds are listening, Oberyn was giving them an earful"

Well, I refuse to believe Varys would hear something like that and do nothing. The Martells declaring Myrcella as Queen would be like the worst possible outcome for Varys: Yet another pretender for Aegon to fight, propped by Aegon's sure-fire allies? Hell, no, Varys had to stop that.

That's where Darkstar comes in

The Martells declaring Myrcella as Queen would be like the worst possible outcome for Varys: Yet another pretender for Aegon to fight, propped by Aegon's sure-fire allies? Hell, no, Varys had to stop that.

Never though of Darkstar working for Varys. I like that theory it seems pretty plausible.

It seems he was in KL. During Feast, a mummer's play was rather popular in the city, about lions killing all the noble animals who opposed them, even the stag, who was killed by the lions. Eventually, a dragon appeared, and killed the lions, and the crowds (in the show) cheered.

Seems to be a rather subtle way of letting the people in KL know that a Targaryen is coming to free them from the lions, so that once Aegon actually arrives in the city, the people in KL will know that he mean them no harm (and are thus more likely to support him).

I think he was in Dorne, or at least trying to contact someone in Dorne (Darkstar, for one)

Remember that Dorne is key for Aegon's plans, and remember in aSoS, when Oberyn is talking to Tyrion and he tells him that Myrcella is Queen by Dornish law and Tyrion thinks something like, "If Varys' birds are listening, Oberyn was giving them an earful"

Well, I refuse to believe Varys would hear something like that and do nothing. The Martells declaring Myrcella as Queen would be like the worst possible outcome for Varys: Yet another pretender for Aegon to fight, propped by Aegon's sure-fire allies? Hell, no, Varys had to stop that.

Except GRRM said Varys was still in KL before ADwD came out. Varys knows Doran would never try so foolish a gambit in crowning Myrcella.

The Darkstar theory has no evidence behind it.

Except GRRM said Varys was still in KL before ADwD came out. Varys knows Doran would never try so foolish a gambit in crowning Myrcella.

The Darkstar theory has no evidence behind it.

1) A quote would be appreciated regarding the bold part

2) Yes, Doran would never. Arianne and the unruly and noisy Sand Snakes, on the other hand...

3) There's plenty of evidence for the Darkstar theory, actually

Thanks! Nice work.

I didn't see this question raised on that thread, but sorry for the redundancy if it was...would Varys trust Darkstar with news of Aegon? I suppose given the Golden Company's ''friends'' in the Reach, they weren't working that hard to keep it a total secret in Westeros.

Thanks! Nice work.

I didn't see this question raised on that thread, but sorry for the redundancy if it was...would Varys trust Darkstar with news of Aegon? I suppose given the Golden Company's ''friends'' in the Reach, they weren't working that hard to keep it a total secret in Westeros.

Good point. And I think it's also possible that Varys didn't even mention Aegon at all. Remember that Varys and Illyrio are using Dany as a smoke screen, to a certain extent, and that Varys wanted Aegon to marry Dany. So he could have offered Darkstar a spot in Dany's KG and it would have accomplished the same without having to name Aegon

Good point. And I think it's also possible that Varys didn't even mention Aegon at all. Remember that Varys and Illyrio are using Dany as a smoke screen, to a certain extent, and that Varys wanted Aegon to marry Dany. So he could have offered Darkstar a spot in Dany's KG and it would have accomplished the same without having to name Aegon

I'm on board! Added to my distressingly long lists of conspiracies I believe in.

I dunno if Darkstar is Varys' pawn, but... someone is.

At the end of Dance, when he's about to kill Kevan, he says

“I thought the crossbow fitting. You shared so much with Lord Tywin, why not that? Your niece will

think the Tyrells had you murdered, mayhaps with the connivance of the Imp. The Tyrells will suspect

her. Someone somewhere will find a way to blame the Dornishmen".

So far, the Dornish are having a low profile. Why would they blame the Dornishmen? Unless... Varys knows already they are on their way to KL, which they are.

I'm on board! Added to my distressingly long lists of conspiracies I believe in.

Yes, join the Dark(star) Side!

“I thought the crossbow fitting. You shared so much with Lord Tywin, why not that? Your niece will

think the Tyrells had you murdered, mayhaps with the connivance of the Imp. The Tyrells will suspect

So far, the Dornish are having a low profile. Why would they blame the Dornishmen? Unless... Varys knows already they are on their way to KL, which they are.

For sure. Team Aegon is banking pretty hard on Dorne

I think he just meant pretty much nobody likes Dornishmen, and with the city crawling with Reachmen someone probably will blame the Dornish

Archived