Football 123: Pardew Springs Eternal

Alex.

Ljajic definitely has some issues.

If we disregard the whole "I'll sign the anthem!" -> "I didn't sing the anthem" -> "I didn't sing the anthem because I didn't know the words to the 3 whole verses of the anthem" -> "Pharaoh, let my people go!" thing, he got into trouble with his Fiorentina manager (ended in manager punching him repeatedly), was passed upon by Man Utd even after they all but signed him (signed some pre-contract and all that), and is now having problems in Roma.

Definitely not a player I'd like to see in my team (neither club nor national).

To be fair, Ljajic is only 23 and hasn't had a single lapse of judgement of that kind during his time in Roma (not that the public knows of at least) so I think he should be forgiven for past sins. Also, if an authority figure turns to violence against one of his subordinates, that's squarely on him.

I'm pretty sure he was given up at least in part because of Ravel Morrison.

Yeah, that went well.

I'm not sure it would've gone any better with Ljajic.

To be fair, Ljajic is only 23 and hasn't had a single lapse of judgement of that kind during his time in Roma (not that the public knows of at least) so I think he should be forgiven for past sins. Also, if an authority figure turns to violence against one of his subordinates, that's squarely on him.

For a while now I'm struggling with "he's only 22/23/24" argument to explain or defend player's actions.

Sure, that's still young and youth comes hand in hand with lack of experience which can explain or defend some things but not everything.

CRonaldo was the star player of a Champions' League winning team when he was 23.

Messi has won 3 Champions League trophies before his 24th birthday (was THE star player in winning 2 of those).

Sure, Ljajic is nowhere near the level of those two, but then, they're not the only ones to do great things in football.

I mean, Michael Owen was tied for leading Premiership goalscorer and scored THE goal against Argentina in France '98 World Cup when he was 18.

Age is not an obstacle to greatness and it's definitely not an obstacle for politeness.

I don't know what could've set the manager off like that, but Ljajic MUST have done something. I don't remember the guy punching anyone else in decades worth of his career.

Say what you want about Ljajic, but he's never been on trial.

I guess Ljajic has that going for him.

On the other hand, that achievement could be questioned by "his uncle is a minister in our government and could probably cover up quite a bit" ;)

Ljajic definitely has some issues.

If we disregard the whole "I'll sign the anthem!" -> "I didn't sing the anthem" -> "I didn't sing the anthem because I didn't know the words to the 3 whole verses of the anthem" -> "Pharaoh, let my people go!" thing, he got into trouble with his Fiorentina manager (ended in manager punching him repeatedly), was passed upon by Man Utd even after they all but signed him (signed some pre-contract and all that), and is now having problems in Roma.

His problems at Roma have nothing to do with off the field behavior, he just hasn't played all that well.

And IMO forcing NT players to sing the anthem is totally ridiculous. If a player doesn't want to sing for whatever reason, it's his choice. Forcing everyone to sign it is just idiotic.

Stuff about age and Ljajic.

I'm not using age to defend his on field performances. Players peak at different ages and though he very well may improve, there's absolutely no guarantee that he will.

I didn't really use his age as a defence for his behavior either, or at least I didn't intend to. My point was, he's 23, has not been in any controversy in the past two years. He has been surrounded by controversy in the past, but recent evidence suggests that he has matured.

Really like Danny 'can't finish' Welbeck

Me too. That last goal is something was so good. Pace and strength with a beautiful finish. Welbeck almost had a third there.

I'm both enjoying and envying the Welbeck love. How's he playing then?

Two goals on three shots, one was a great play with Sanchez, another was an individual goal where he showed pace and power to position himself for a perfect finish.

ETA: That should have been a straight red. Two feet tackle on Sanchez that was so fucking cynical. And now he's hurt.

Archived