Do any of the ASOIAF Characters rank in your top 10 in fiction? (spoilers?)

Marcus Agrippa

This is for all media- not just books. I thought hard about this and only two rank in the top 10 for me- Brienne (5ish) and Stannis (9ish). Both are well written despite Brienne's some what soft writing in AFFC... She still has a top of potential and she seems to be a very decent character in an indecent world. I am not a stanimal by any means. He is a good character from a writing prespective and despite the weirdness before AGOT he is among the more consistent characters in the series. Everybody has their own grading Mechanic so I am not going to attempt to narrow it down. Anyway i am just sort of curious amongst the fandom how many characters rank in the top 10?

I was about to say maybe but then you said all media not just books.

That includes moves, tv, and anime. Do I like Arya more than them? Well, I know for a fact that I don't like her more than Van/Hitomi from Escaflowne. Angela Chase from MSCL (my #1 tv character), Margot Tenenbaum (my #1 movie character). Plus, things you like from when you were a kid are going to be more precious like Ripley from Aliens, Anastasia, Sailor Moon, and certain Disney characters. I do like her more than Howl and Levi and Mikasa. And probably Buffy too since that show fell off for me after S3.

& does this include video games because Lara Croft would also be ahead but Ezio Auditore is probably equal or a little less.

As far as books go participating on the forums allows characters to be more fresh in my mind than other series. I haven't reread Franny and Zooey in years so I don't remember why I loved the characters so much but I know it's one my favorite books. Rereading that could change the list. Still fresh in my mind-Vaelin Al Sorna is bae, I love Frentis too, The Darkling from Grisha, Jorg Ancrath is my other bae, Ash from Iron Fey, Mac and Barrons from Fever, Astrid and Ingrid from White Oleander, and Kvothe.

I loved Valyn from Emperor's Blade but this is another I don't remember how much. .Celaena Sadorthian is about to go into my faves after the latest book.

First read I didn't like the characters from The Secret History besides Bunny but on a reread I could easily put Henry or one of the others in my top 10.

So basically on books I think Arya can be in the top 10 but then IDK. I'd put her ahead of Celaena, Valyn, Kvothe, Frentis, Barrons and Mac. But not Ash and I connected more with Astrid. I don't think I can put her ahead of the Penryn/Raffe combo. Maybe she's equal. The Darkling is another who might go ahead. The latest book I was amazed by how well he was written. Truly masterful IMO. Oh, and she can't go ahead of Jorg. She can only be equal or less. No one goes ahead of Vaelin al Sorna.

I guess no?

ETA: Plus, Catwoman from Batman Returns is somewhere in there.

The rest of the asoiaf characters aren't even in the running. Hell no. There are so many others I like more than them.

Catelyn does.

That's interesting- she seems to get hate everywhere. She just seemed to be a mom in a tough position to me. First her family split, then Ned dies and her daughters are being held hostage, then you have the King Ego and King Heir nobody likes infighting.. just because they can. Then she has to come back to the Theon betrayal and Robb getting married which makes her think her two boys are dead and the whole Jaime ordeal. She really just seems to be a mother in a tough position. Not that it isn't a compelling storyline but its hardly radical. We don't know what Lady Stoneheart will do besides kill anything that has lions or towers on it.

I was about to say maybe but then you said all media not just books.

That includes moves, tv, and anime. Do I like Arya more than them? Well, I know for a fact that I don't like her more than Van/Hitomi from Escaflowne. Angela Chase from MSCL (my #1 tv character), Margot Tenenbaum (my #1 movie character). Plus, things you like from when you were a kid are going to be more precious like Ripley from Aliens, Anastasia, Sailor Moon, and certain Disney characters. I do like her more than Howl and Levi and Mikasa. And probably Buffy too since that show fell off for me after S3.

& does this include video games because Lara Croft would also be ahead but Ezio Auditore is probably equal or a little less.

As far as books go participating on the forums allows characters to be more fresh in my mind than other series. I haven't reread Franny and Zooey in years so I don't remember why I loved the characters so much but I know it's one my favorite books. Rereading that could change the list. Still fresh in my mind-Vaelin Al Sorna is bae, I love Frentis too, The Darkling from Grisha, Jorg Ancrath is my other bae, Ash from Iron Fey, Mac and Barrons from Fever, Astrid and Ingrid from White Oleander, and Kvothe.

I loved Valyn from Emperor's Blade but this is another I don't remember how much. .Celaena Sadorthian is about to go into my faves after the latest book.

First read I didn't like the characters from The Secret History besides Bunny but on a reread I could easily put Henry or one of the others in my top 10.

So basically on books I think Arya can be in the top 10 but then IDK. I'd put her ahead of Celaena, Valyn, Kvothe, Frentis, Barrons and Mac. But not Ash and I connected more with Astrid. I don't think I can put her ahead of the Penryn/Raffe combo. Maybe she's equal. The Darkling is another who might go ahead. The latest book I was amazed by how well he was written. Truly masterful IMO. Oh, and she can't go ahead of Jorg. She can only be equal or less. No one goes ahead of Vaelin al Sorna.

I guess no?

ETA: Plus, Catwoman from Batman Returns is somewhere in there.

The rest of the asoiaf characters aren't even in the running. Hell no. There are so many others I like more than them.

I understand that completely. I have a problem with a lot of disney characters personally- mostly because most of them are cardboard cut outs with some simple variation. Honestly, Elsa and Wreck it Ralph have been vast improvements over most in the last 25-30 years. But yeah their are people who def identify with more media. I guess I asked this question because I have been trying to understand the allure of the story. A story like this usually has two or three stand out characters. Going through it I can only pick out two. Brienne because she is the second strongest woman I have ever seen or read. Stannis is just something else entirely. I don't know if it's because of the two weirdest advisers of all time or if its the humor. Despite all the twists and turns that Danerys, Tyrion, Jaime, and Jon have been through I remain very neutral towards them thought this forum has taught me to respect Jon more. Arya just feels to removed from events from me. Even when she was in the Riverlands and at Harrenhal where two of her best scenes take place- she just felt too far removed from either the game of thrones or the Ice/fire conflict in the north.

TV shows always have characters that are good. I just don't if I can rank any of them in the top 10. Tony soprano and Barney stitson would be the only contenders- and I really don't know if tony should count just because it's an hour long. Community also had some good ones for the first two seasons- then they just become one tone characters after that.

I will be the first one to admit the only animated show I have ever stuck with is red vs blue and thats been on since I was a kid and it has my number one- Carolina. Toughest female character in history and really one with most complex story you can put together for something equates between 1 hour- 2 hours a season. Not the biggest fan of the animation but because the show is in short segments I can bear it.

Nope.

Understandable- there is probably 10 trillion different stories. A lot of these characters have slow parts that seem out of pace.

Understandable- there is probably 10 trillion different stories. A lot of these characters have slow parts that seem out of pace.

Indeed. I can't even think of all the great media I've consumed over the years (I'd have to compile a list), so limiting myself to just 10 favorite characters doesn't seem possible. I can only say Revolver Ocelot for sure, and that's just because I was reminded of him after playing a MGS game for the first time in 2 years.

All I know for sure is that none of the ASOIAF characters truly light that spark inside me. Sure, a few of them have potential, but it's a potential that remains (in my opinion) unrealized.

Um, I'm not sure I've ever consciously ranked cross-media fictional characters. Mine are fickle, fickle tastes. Let's say for the sake of argument that I were to assemble such a list, in my current state of mind. I'd say Brynden Tully. Yes. My love of the Blackfish is infinite and irrational. And Oberyn (specifically, TV Oberyn/Pedro Pascal)

The list would probably go something like this (and since ARYa_Nym mentioned Disney and Sailor Moon, they get a spot on a list, because they are now on my mind):

1. Wally West (DC comics)

2. Oliver (Oliver and Company)

3. Subaru Sumeragi (Tokyo Babylon manga)

4. Sailor Venus (Sailor Moon anime/manga)

5. Oberyn Martell (Game of Thrones TV)

6. Damian Wayne (DC Comics)

7. Brynden Tully (ASOIAF)

8. Troy Barnes (Community TV)

9. Nightwing (DC Comics)

10. Tom Servo (MST3K) / Lilo (Lilo and Stitch)

This was actually really hard :crying: Mostly what I could think up on the spot, and my criteria for getting on the list was "how quickly would you buy merchandise for the following character, and would you stop to look at the price tag?" rather than being about the best developed/complex/realistic/interesting characters, which would take way more thought and time to develop.

If I was hard pressed to sit down and pick a list of 10 from across all forms of entertainment media (damn that would be hard to pick just 10) I would want someone from ASoIaF included. So since she's my favorite character I guess I'd have Daenerys in there.

Archived