Sports Drinks, Healthy or Just Soda Without the Fizz?

The Anti-Targ

Sports drinks as bad as fizzy, say doctors

Auckland's public health agency says sports drinks should not be marketed as healthy beverages because of their high sugar content.

Auckland Regional Public Health Service (ARPHS) is opposing proposed changes to food regulations that would allow electrolyte drinks to carry health claims about hydration and replenishment of carbohydrates after sustained exercise.

The service has made a submission to Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) with a warning that the drinks could exacerbate the country's high obesity rates, particularly in children.

http://health.msn.co.nz/healthnews/8913578/sports-drinks-as-bad-as-fizzy-doctors

IMO there's not much to recommend sports drinks, except for after prolonged high intensity exercise. And even then, for all but the maddest exercise nuts, plain (or mineral) water is as good or better.

For sure if parents are buying their kids these drinks for their lunch boxes they might as well be giving them ordinary soda. Any vitamins get mostly pissed out, and the electrolytes and minerals are completely unnecessary if the kids are eating decent food. And the drink is no compensation for kids living on junk food.

Health claims should really only be allowed if the food or drink provides a benefit not obtainable by normal dietary practices. Drink water, eat a couple of pieces of fruit = pretty much the same rehydration and carb replenishment as a sports drink, with less of an insulin spike, so what is the actual health benefit of the sports drink?

Oh I forgot to say that I do think they are very useful for when you have gastro bugs, whether of the puking or shitting (or both) kind. Under those conditions fast absorbing sugar and electrolytes are essential. And they taste a helluva lot better than actual oral rehydration products, bleh!! Probably too much sugar and not enough electrolyte, but it's the one time when its better than plain water. OTOH, de-fizzed, warm sprite is pretty good too, though lacking the electrolytes.

So perhaps a health label along the lines of "in case of diarrhoea, break seal and drink." Not sure it would help sell the drinks though.

I wouldn't recommend any drink besides water as a healthy drink really... even things like juice and yogurt (which is often promoted as healthy) has a high sugar content. What irks me is when they promote the product as having 0% fat, but it has a ridiculous amount of sugar, like one pot of yogurt = 25% of your sugar RDA. They always skate over that.

When I used to go to the gym, water was perfectly fine for me.

But yeah when it comes to puking and stuff, I normally have nothing but lucozade, it really helps for some strange reason :laugh:

When I ran long distance or on days at work where I sweat so much I drink 2+ gallons of water (most days June through September) , I mix in about a pint of Gatorade to a gallon of water. The stuff is just too sugary to drink any other way, but ive found if I'm sweating a lot I need a little bit to prevent leg cramps.

... and yogurt (which is often promoted as healthy) has a high sugar content. What irks me is when they promote the product as having 0% fat, but it has a ridiculous amount of sugar, like one pot of yogurt = 25% of your sugar RDA. They always skate over that.

What kind of yoghurt are they selling where you live? Afaik most yoghurts here have 0% sugar. Only fruit-flavoured ones have sugar, but you rarely drink those anyway - besides they are for kids.

Yoghurt in particular is not only a preferred drink for many gym enthusiasts around here, it's actually part of many gym diets - both for weight loss and gain (you consume yoghurt with different amounts of fat accordingly). Reason is yoghurt contains lots of proteins, which you need when you're exercising your muscles.

When I ran long distance or on days at work where I sweat so much I drink 2+ gallons of water (most days June through September) , I mix in about a pint of Gatorade to a gallon of water. The stuff is just too sugary to drink any other way, but ive found if I'm sweating a lot I need a little bit to prevent leg cramps.

You drink 2+ gallons of water per day? :shocked:

Let's forget the "is it good for you" tangent, and focus on "HOW do you do it?".

On my summer workout days, I'd probably get to 3 liters (significantly less than a gallon) but that would include 2-3 hours of rowing, running and/or lifting weights in over 30ºC.

To the point the default usage of the word "yoghurt" now implies fruitiness and sugar? That's a bit twisted... :)

That's extremely twisted...

You drink 2+ gallons of water per day? :shocked:

Let's forget the "is it good for you" tangent, and focus on "HOW do you do it?".

On my summer workout days, I'd probably get to 3 liters (significantly less than a gallon) but that woul d include 2-3 hours of rowing, running and/or lifting weights in over 30ºC.

That's extremely twisted...

Try climbing up and down a 30 +ft scaffold all day onto a roof that is likely 100-115 degrees carrying bricks block and stone. For 8-10 hours.

I've lost over 8 lbs in a sibgle day in the summer.

Try climbing up and down a 30 +ft scaffold all day onto a roof that is likely 100-115 degrees carrying bricks block and stone. For 8-10 hours.

I've lost over 8 lbs in a sibgle day in the summer.

Well, I guess if you put it that way it makes sense... :)

What kind of yoghurt are they selling where you live? Afaik most yoghurts here have 0% sugar. Only fruit-flavoured ones have sugar, but you rarely drink those anyway - besides they are for kids.

Yoghurt in particular is not only a preferred drink for many gym enthusiasts around here, it's actually part of many gym diets - both for weight loss and gain (you consume yoghurt with different amounts of fat accordingly). Reason is yoghurt contains lots of proteins, which you need when you're exercising your muscles.

Yes, I meant fruit yoghurt - that is the norm here in the UK.. there is an advert about a new yoghurt and it focuses exclusively on the 0% fat part. But I know for a fact when I look at these yoghurts they do have 0% fat but tons of sugar.. eck

Yeah, yoghurt here usually refers to the fruity kind. I guess it depends on context though - if you're using it for cooking or w/e it's always the non-fruity kind (I love greek-style yoghurt...) but if it's like yoghurt as a snack you usually mean the fruity kind

Larryck - I wish I could lose that much in a single day, I'd be slim by Christmas :laugh: totally won't happen

Archived