Dragonbinder as the One Ring to Rule Them All

DireNorthWolf

Has anyone thought that Dragonbinder could not only bind dragons but also all holders of Valyrian steel? It seems like they could have been given as "gifts" as a way to keep their "owners" in line with the Valyrian who had horn. It may also explain why the Blackfyre sword's change in ownership produced the rebellion in some way.

Regardless, I find the remaining Valyrian blades to be a significant part of the story. Tarly has one...

No, it doesn't work that way. There is nothing in the text to suggest that. Otherwise, the Valyrains would have just given the Rhoynish and other peoples Valyrian steel as gifts, and then blown the horn.

Blackfyre didn't bind the men to Daemon or his descendants because of an intrinsic magical property, but because of the symbolism associated with the sword, namely it was the sword of Targaryen kings since Aegon I.

Many houses have Valyrian swords.

The funny part would be that they're going to use a Valyrian magic item but they don't know how to use Valyrian magic. It could be that the horn attracts the dragons to whoever is blowing it but doesn't necessarily bend them to the horn-holder's will. The dragons could just as easily show up at Victarion's ship, give a dragon-esque shrug that essentially means "so?", and end up torching the lot of them. Despite their chaining up by Dany in the pyramid in Meereen I suspect that V and R are going to remain completely loyal to mommy and the Ironborn end up with a lot of scorched egg on their faces. The blood part of "fire and blood" is probably a lot more important of a factor than the Euron and Victarion have assumed.

The funny part would be that they're going to use a Valyrian magic item but they don't know how to use Valyrian magic. It could be that the horn attracts the dragons to whoever is blowing it but doesn't necessarily bend them to the horn-holder's will. The dragons could just as easily show up at Victarion's ship, give a dragon-esque shrug that essentially means "so?", and end up torching the lot of them. Despite their chaining up by Dany in the pyramid in Meereen I suspect that V and R are going to remain completely loyal to mommy and the Ironborn end up with a lot of scorched egg on their faces. The blood part of "fire and blood" is probably a lot more important of a factor than the Euron and Victarion have assumed.

You do remember what happened at the end of ADWD right? It specifically has to do with chains and large locked doors.

Has anyone thought that Dragonbinder could not only bind dragons but also all holders of Valyrian steel? It seems like they could have been given as "gifts" as a way to keep their "owners" in line with the Valyrian who had horn. It may also explain why the Blackfyre sword's change in ownership produced the rebellion in some way.

Regardless, I find the remaining Valyrian blades to be a significant part of the story. Tarly has one...

There were no dragons around the time of the first Blackfyre rebellion, and that horn would still have been in Valyria.

Daemon rebelled for a number of reasons. 1) "his" Daenerys was going to be married off to someone else; 2) he may have believed that his brother Daeron really wasn't Aegon IV's son; 3) he did believe that Aegon IV giving him the traditional Targ King's sword meant that Aegon was proclaiming him the heir to the throne.

You do remember what happened at the end of ADWD right? It specifically has to do with chains and large locked doors.

Just because Quentyn, with his smidgen of long-diluted Targaryen blood, was insufficient to earn the dragon's respect doesn't mean that the same thing will happen to Daenerys when she returns. She was able to quell the rebelling Drogon in the fighting pit, while he was in the middle of a full-blown moment of blood lust, with only a whip in her hands. You do remember that little scene, don't you? And Drogon has been written to be the most dangerous and powerful of the three beasts. Viserion and Rhaegal will most likely submit to Dany as well when she returns, especially when they see that she's now in complete command of their own much larger and more lethal brother.

Just because Quentyn, with his smidgen of long-diluted Targaryen blood, was insufficient to earn the dragon's respect doesn't mean that the same thing will happen to Daenerys when she returns. She was able to quell the rebelling Drogon in the fighting pit, while he was in the middle of a full-blown moment of blood lust, with only a whip in her hands. You do remember that little scene, don't you? And Drogon has been written to be the most dangerous and powerful of the three beasts. Viserion and Rhaegal will most likely submit to Dany as well when she returns, especially when they see that she's now in complete command of their own much larger and more lethal brother.

I wasn't disputing their potential loyalty. I was saying that they are no longer chained up. They are flying free. Barristan notes that Rhaegal and Viserion are free and nesting elsewhere.

Edit: You know what, I misread that. Left out 'despite' from your sentence regarding the chaining.

What I have wondered is whether the translation given by Moqorro of the writing on the DragonBinder is accurate. And if its not, is it because of ignorance or some hidden purpose?

"I am Dragonbinder ...No mortal man shall sound me and live...Blood for fire, fire for blood"

And who exactly doesn't fit the definition of "mortal?"

What I have wondered is whether the translation given by Moqorro of the writing on the DragonBinder is accurate. And if its not, is it because of ignorance or some hidden purpose?

"I am Dragonbinder ...No mortal man shall sound me and live...Blood for fire, fire for blood"

And who exactly doesn't fit the definition of "mortal?"

unCat, unBeric, unJon, unGregor. Any of the undead don't fit "mortal man." Also this could be a Witch King scenario where no man can sound the horn but a woman can.

Archived