ASOIAF similar fantasy series?

Stark Supporter

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I read the forums a lot but dont post.

However, I'm currently on book 4 of this series and am after some advise on similar (or any other good) fantasy series that the readers here recommend?

ASOIAF is my first fantasy series (unless you count Harry Potter) and I am really enjoying it. Up to this point I never really understood the allure of fantasy novels and was happy with crime/thriller novels or just drama fiction.

Some years ago I did start reading the LOTR series but grew immesely bored with the sheer volume of the world descriptions (I enjoyed the movies though). I started ASOIAF after watching the first season of the HBO GoT series and realised they are quite an enjoyable read.

So what other series would you recommend for someone who is new to fantasy fiction?

Thanks

I asked for a similar thing less than a month ago and read The First Law. Just pick it, it's the right choice believe me!

I don't think reading one single series and liking it allows you to know that it is "the" right choice among the numerous options Fantasy offers (that you did not read), for someone whose tastes you don't even know.

He has been given a list from the stickies and the opportunity to ask for a more specific subset if he wants, let him choose instead of pushing the weakest work of lord grimdark on him.

I don't think reading one series and liking it allows you to know that it is "the" right choice among the numerous options Fantasy offers (that you did not read), for someone whose tastes you don't even know.

Yes it does.

The answer is always Joe Abercrombie and The First Law series. Always.

I don't think reading one single series and liking it allows you to know that it is "the" right choice among the numerous options Fantasy offers (that you did not read), for someone whose tastes you don't even know.

He has been given a list from the stickies and the opportunity to ask for a more specific subset if he wants, let him choose instead of pushing the weakest work of lord grimdark on him.

Well you know, that was just like, my opinion man.

Weakest work? Weakest and ONLY work outside ONE book for now you mean...

Well you know, that was just like, my opinion man.

Yes, and if it must be spelt out for you, I was calling your opinion invalid on the basis that you have no point of reference.

Weakest work? Weakest and ONLY work outside ONE book for now you mean...

No, the first law was his first published story, it is a trilogy. He then published four books set in the same world after that (and about as many short stories.)

No, the first law was his first published story, it is a trilogy. He then published four books set in the same world after that (and about as many short stories.)

Only three books set in the same world after the trilogy.

His latest book is entirely separate from TFL.

Archived