October Reading Thread 2014 - Boo!

RedEyedGhost

I've been looking forward to this month since last October! These are the books I will be reading, starting with Pet Sematary followed by The Circus of Dr. Lao, I'll finish with The Night Country and The Grey King, but the order in the middle is tbd.

I think I've decided on the books I will read, order it TBD:

The Circus of Dr. Lao by Charles G. Finney
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
This Dark Earth by John Horner Jacobs
Pet Sematary by Stephen King
Last Days by Adam Nevill
The Night Country by Stewart O'Nan
Although I do know I will cap the month with The Grey King by Susan Cooper.

If there's time, and that's a big if, my extra book will be Ghost Story by Peter Straub.

Thanks for the help everybody :thumbsup: I'm really looking forward to this again!

Just started Manchu by Robert Elegant. It is a historical fiction entailing the exploits of a European in China. It is really not grabbing me yet. The writing seems a little unnecessarily wordy and there is just something that seems a little to squeaky clean that I can't really describe very well.

Curious if anyone has read this.

Am reading Daily rituals: How artists work, by Mason Currey a perfect book to have by your bedside to pick up once in a while and read a few pages about how smart people spent their days. It's tedious and colloquial in a lovely way, reading about how many coffee beans Beethoven wanted in his coffee or how long Hemingway lay in bed in the mornings is more fun than one might think. :D It's not something to read for hours though, so I'm gonna pick up something at the library to match it with tomorrow.

Sry for possibly weird english, am tired and swedish so good night!

Finished Black Lung Captain of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding, and I have started reading Iron Jackal of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding. The next book will be Ace of Skull of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding.

Been in a bit of a reading funk the past couple of months, but today I began a re-read of Wayne Barlowe's God's Demon. One of the benefits of reading it on my Nexus is being able to see the stunning artwork that inspired Barlowe to write the story.

If you like epic fantasy, you'll love this. Seriously, I can't recommend it highly enough.

I am about halfway through The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley. Parts of it are fascinating and parts are blah. Many of the characters are both boring and annoying, which drags down the book a lot. But overall I am liking it.

Finished Tip and the Gipper on Monday and overall thought it was a pretty good political book.

I started The Catcher in the Rye on Monday, so far I'm about 37% through the book and want to punch Holden. I might be "getting" this book if I was a teenager, but I'm just trying to get through it. I plan on being finished with this book by sometime Friday, writing a bad review, and then selling the book at the used book store I frequent.

Year-long reading updating:

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: I finished Coriolanus on Monday, I actually liked this play even with the titular character being a snob but he knows he's a snob and doesn't try to hid it. I'd like to watch Coriolanus either on stage or an adaptation. I'm currently reading through Shakespeare's Sonnets, I'm through LII.

The Free by Brian Ruckley was a fun, quick, standalone epic/heroic fantasy. I really couldn't get into The Godless World trilogy, stalling somewhere in the second book, but this book was great.

Reading a weird book called Gleam by Tom Fletcher. Not sure what I think about it really. I think it is a dystopia that wants to be weird fiction but is afraid to go all the way over. Gotta stick with it and see where it goes.

I'm going to be reading The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith.

In the past few days I finished Eleanor by Jason Gurley, which was good but uneven. I loved teh parts taking place in real life because they were so well written and heart wrenching. The magical elements/events and the way they were written were what prevented this book from being a great one.

I also finished The Witch with No Name by Kim Harrison, the last book in her Hollows series. I was as disappointed as I expected to be and all I have to say is that I'm glad the series is finally over, because the last few books were just increasingly painful to read.

Also, I took a day to read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, just because everyone expects you to have read a bit of the Narnia series. Meh. Maybe if I had read this as a kid I would have loved it.

Hope you enjoy The Silkworm, Mashiara! I loved it.

Finished Company of Liars this morning. What a fantastic book. I shall have to check out more of Maitland's work.

I knew Camelot was a woman! As soon as I started reading, it felt like it was a female narrative, so I was confused when it said that she was a man. I also guessed that Adela and Osmond were siblings, but I don't think these discoveries took anything away from the story.

I've been trying not to buy any books in the run-up to Christmas/my birthday, as I know I'll get lots, so I'm at a bit of a loss about what to read next. I think I'll go for Richard Laymon's Dreadful Tales, for a mild Halloween-y feel.

This weekend is supposed to be cold and rainy here, which seems the perfect time to start my Halloween reading.

First will be The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving, which should only take a couple hours. Then I'll be starting Salem's Lot by Stephen King.

Finished Resistance by Samit Basu, sequel to Turbulence. In the follow-up, it's been several years since the events of the first book and there are now thousands of superhumans all over the world. But there are a few "evil" plans in place to change things. What I really like about this series is how the author deconstructs the superhero genre by poking fun at all of the tropes and cliches to make a fun, rip-roaring but also intelligent read. Like the first book, Resistance is a stand-alone, but there's material for more stories.

Archived