October Reading Thread 2014 - Boo!

RedEyedGhost

I started The Catcher in the Rye on Monday, so far I'm about 37% through the book and want to punch Holden. I might be "getting" this book if I was a teenager, but I'm just trying to get through it. I plan on being finished with this book by sometime Friday, writing a bad review, and then selling the book at the used book store I frequent.

I thankfully finished The Catcher in the Rye yesterday during lunch, I hated Holden Caulfield and couldn't see why this book has so much hype.

Hehe... I loved Catcher in the Rye when I was a teenager as I felt like it really hit home. I've wondered now that I'm in my my thirties how well it holds up and if I were to go back and re-read it, would I still it hold it in the same regard or be pissed off with the impatience I have for teenagers.

I usually buy books from Book Depository, they've never failed me <3. Free shipping, and you can find pretty much any book you want. Shipping to Argentina takes anything between ten days and five weeks, I guess it's the same for Brazil.

I use it occasionally from Australia and it's pretty nice for that free shipping. It's also usually here within a few days to a week (go figure).

Read the first three books in the frostborn series; not great at all but first book was free and used promotion code for kobo to get the others for like 1 quid each. written quite poorly, but I like some of the ideas and they're so EASY to read which is brilliant for me as I couldn't get back into reading for the longest time. Gonna read the fourth one now; almost determined to read them all and unsure why.

read Herland for the first time and thought it was great. Very interesting and I just can't believe it was written 99 years ago; almost a century ago, and parts of it are STILL relatable. Now starting With Her in Ourland.

Finished A Scanner Darkly the other week; can't remember if it was technically in September or not though :P was excellent as I knew it would be.

I don't think I've been reading this much since before university two years ago; feels great. I was so worried I'd never get back into reading.

Think I have had my kobo for about two weeks and have 62 hours reading on there already, woo.

Hehe... I loved Catcher in the Rye when I was a teenager as I felt like it really hit home. I've wondered now that I'm in my my thirties how well it holds up and if I were to go back and re-read it, would I still it hold it in the same regard or be pissed off with the impatience I have for teenagers.

I read it as a teenager and still hated it. Holden is such a spoiled, stupid kid that has no idea what to do with his time.

Finished Cibola Burn over the weekend, completing my read of the four Expanse novels released at present. It was fine, though the series is losing steam for me at this point. Still looking forward to the 5th one next year but I think I needed a break from it.

Might read Gone Girl cause Ive had it laying around for a while and I kinda want to read it before I see the film.

I'm reading it now - completely hooked.

I loved Gone Girl. Hopefully I'll get to see the movie this weekend.

I finished The Legend of Sleepy Hollow last night. It was quick and fun. I've seen so many movie and theater adaptations but I liked the original ending.

Next up, 'Salem's Lot.

Just finished Magician's Land, the third in Lev Grossman's trilogy. Good, but I found it the weakest of the three. Disorganised somehow and a bit abrupt.

Not sure what next, maybe Two Serpents Rise by Max Gladstone. It's great to be spoiled for choice again after going two months without the opportunity to buy or borrow any books.

I decided I want to branch out my reading--when left to my own devices, I tend to just keep picking up SFF. Which is great, but there are so many more books out there! So I started on a non-fiction book my parents got me for my birthday--Geek Sublime by Vikram Chandra. It is interesting so far, although a bit scattered. Making me think fondly of my days as a middle-schooler writing text games in BASIC and learning how to code HTML. Not the path my life took, but interesting!

I finished The Innkeeper's Song by Peter S. Beagle. I also finished Return, a limited edition novella also by Beagle and set in the same world. Both books were quite good, written as lyrical quest stories much like The Last Unicorn. So if you liked Unicorn, you'll probably like these as well. I enjoyed The Last Unicorn a little bit more I think, but then the book is considered a classic for a reason.

City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett. Can I just say how much under-read this fantasy work is?! Anyone who's looking for something truly original and well written must read it. I mean its not outstanding but a worthwhile read after some let-down releases this year.

And starting a re-read of In Search of Lost Time omnibus by Proust. I know its long but there's truly nothing like it out there.

I got a bunch of ebooks that were on sale in Amazon some days ago, now I'm trying to decide what to read next, Annihilation, The Princess Bride, Solaris, I Am Legend or 2001. Or Hunters of Dune.

Currently reading Neuromancer, by William Gibson, so far so good. I'd heard it was the first book to use the term "cyberspace", in the 80s, I found the premise appealing. I like the writing style, gritty and hard like the setting.

Archived