Poll : Would you have loved or hated Tywin more/less if he was a woman?

The King in Black

A shmuck I'm engaged in a battle of wits with says BOTH love and hate for him would've gone down, while i say both would've remained UNCHANGED. Now i need evidence whether you would have liked or hated Tywin more/less if he were a woman and commited the same deeds (good and bad all)

I don't think that love or hatred would have remained unchanged. Though I dunno how it would be affected overall in favor or against him. This isn't a precise thing.

Like it or not gender matters to at least a group of people so it would be affected.

So you would have like with Cersei some people who would justify Tywin from bullshit pseudo-feminist grounds. And criticize criticism against him as disliking women in power. This support will probably even be bigger than Cersei's considering Tywin's intelligence.

But maybe it will inspire some less sympathy from others.

Either way it wouldn't remain unchanged but overall he would still be a character that a lot of people dislike due to his (her) actions. So the overall result despite changes will be similar. But it will probably inspire bigger threads.

As for me personally I highly dislike Tywin now and that wouldn't change if he was female.

If Tywin were a woman, he wouldn't be Tywin.

Id think "he" was a huge bitch who had good political sense and battle strategy

I would have loved it! I was hoping Cersei would be a Tywin, instead of what she turned out to be. There's a lack of powerful, smart women in the novels. I love Olenna, who comes close, but isn't given enough space.

Well Femwyn wouldn't the head of House Lannister, that would be Kevan, unless in this scenario Tytos fathered 5 girls.

Anyways, she would probably marry Stanford, that would be de jure the true head, but he didn't sounded pretty bright, so Femwyn would do most of the job.

Twyin's actions'd be more undestandable to me if he were a woman, actually. The incessant need to not be laughed at, to be feared and respected would be much sympathetic in a world where women are seen as second class citizens.

And it'd completely change the Tyrion/Tywin dynamic and Cersei's character and...

ASoIaF is not a work where you can flippantly flip genders without changing motives and characterisation and reader reactions.

Tywin would have been less effective were he a woman in Westeros, so that would reduce his significance. He has never been a figure of love or hate to me, barely human...just a force, and he would thus be just a diminished force in the event some of his power were taken away.

(Show Tywin v. different, not in terms of content, just in terms of interest. dance's performance/charisma completely amplified his personality without changing it.)

Archived