Things in this series that still confuse you?

I was rewatching the show for the third time with my mum (at the end of my first read) and she was asking me what the characters were talking about and even i got confused. I felt like an idiot but I have to explain stuff without telling her lore and everything else since she'll be like 'WTF are you on about' just wanted know,do any of you still get confused?

...Maybe I missed something, but I don't understand, why didn't the wildlings try (harder) to negotiate with the Night's Watch? The Wildlings were fleeing their common enemy, they wanted to live south of the Wall, be protected by it... why possibly destroy it and its men? The Night's Watch knew of the existence of the Others, they would have taken the wildlings seriously and have previoulsy had friendships with Wildlings (Craster)... A deal could've been made... like, free passage for the Wildlings in exchange for many of their men pledging their life to the wall... or something like that... They could have somehow joined forces to defeat their common scary as shit enemy.

I'm still confused as to how at the onset of the War of 5 Kings, with every Kingdom against the Lannisters, the Kings couldn't have put their differences aside for five minutes to finish them off together before quarreling amongst themselves. Damn sibling rivalry.

I think I can explain that one:

• Renly thought he could win. He had the biggest army, so he wasn't interested in sharing power, yet nobody else was interested in ceding power to him.

Stannis was not about let his little brother get away with that shit. The Iron Throne can wait, family discipline comes first.

Robb sent Catelyn to negotiate with the Baratheons, but he was not in a geographical position to cooperate closely with them early on, and then Renly wound up dead and so did Robb. At any rate, Robb never fought anybody but Lannisters.

Balon could not do anything to the Lannisters. As others have pointed out, exactly what he was hoping to realistically accomplish isn't clear, but what is clear is that his target was and had to be the North, not King's Landing.

So that's why none of them cooperated. You know, it wasn't like they could all pick up their mobiles and have a conference call. Other than when Stannis and Renly came to conflict over Storm's End, each contender was pretty much doing his own thing and didn't really have much of an opportunity to cooperate with another contender. The only ones who had a chance to cooperate were the two brothers who were going to commence cooperating shortly after hell froze over, Lannisters or not.

...Maybe I missed something, but I don't understand, why didn't the wildlings try (harder) to negotiate with the Night's Watch? The Wildlings were fleeing their common enemy, they wanted to live south of the Wall, be protected by it... why possibly destroy it and its men? The Night's Watch knew of the existence of the Others, they would have taken the wildlings seriously and have previoulsy had friendships with Wildlings (Craster)... A deal could've been made... like, free passage for the Wildlings in exchange for many of their men pledging their life to the wall... or something like that... They could have somehow joined forces to defeat their common scary as shit enemy.

The way I see it, the wildlings didn't trust the Night's Watch at all. To them, they were just the "crows" who ranged north to harm them, or stood on their wall to keep them away. Remember the reception Jon got from the wildlings when he first arrived at Mance's camp? Jon was a crow and they hated crows.

The Others hadn't been known to men south of the Wall in thousands of years, the NW included. IIRC Will's POV in the prologue of AGoT was the first time a man of the NW had seen an Other - and lived to tell about it - in ages. By that time Mance had probably already begun uniting the wildling clans to attack the wall, so negotiating with the NW would have been the less desirable option, when this might be their only chance to accomplish anything.

I don't think Mance was planning on using the horn unless defeat was certain. Otherwise, he probably would have done so at the BoCB. Bring down the Wall, and some of your free folk might live.

I still don't get all the stuff with Ramsey and Reek and who was who when... is it really obvious and I'm just being stupid?

Rodrik Cassel is looking for Ramsay. Ramsay is with Reek after raping and murdering a woman. Ramsay knows they will be caught, so 'switches' with Reek - smearing shit on himself. Real Reek is killed and Ramsay, pretending to be Reek, is taken to Winterfell. Theon lets him go and Ramsay returns as himself.

ps no such thing as a stupid question.

Im confused about the jojen paste thing and meera missing?

Bran is eating weirwood paste to speed up his green abilities. It's said to taste like blood. Given Jojen is weak and ill, some people theorize that the weirwood paste contains Jojen's blood. It's not a theory I believe, but there is a logic to it, so make up your mind.

Meera is last mentioned on 703, and Brans last page is 710. She's sad because Jojen is unwell. So some people think she's gone AWOL... IMO she's just off-page. It is ambiguous when you read it.

Cersei having the High Septon killed. I know she wanted him killed but his death is slipped into the story. Very confusing.

Cersei and the moon tea debacle. She spends a quarter of the book trying to get Marge charged with adultery but then she interrogates Pycelle and he reveals Marge has ordered moon tea made before? So she didn't need the Kettleblacks to seduce Marge at all? Did she switch plans after the seduction plot failed?

Cersei having the High Septon killed. I know she wanted him killed but

his death is slipped into the story. Very confusing.

Cersei and the moon tea debacle. She spends a quarter of the book trying

to get Marge charged with adultery but then she interrogates Pycelle

and he reveals Marge has ordered moon tea made before? So she didn't

need the Kettleblacks to seduce Marge at all? Did she switch plans after

the seduction plot failed?

Bigger question is, If Pycelle was making moon tea for Margery, why didnt he inform Cersei before? Did his Lannister loyalty die with Tywin?

Varys is allegedly entirely invested in the return of the Targaryens and the destruction of the Lannister/Baratheon dynasty. Yet it's theorized that Varys in disguise was the highborn lord that paid Tobho Mott the full fee plus bonus for Gendry's apprenticeship as a smith. I accept that despite some of his actions that Varys is considerably more moral than most of the other characters in ASOIAF. But why would he have any interest at all in seeing that one of Robert's bastards learned a trade? Not that any of Robert's bastards were a threat at all to the throne, even if Cersei hadn't tried to kill all the ones she could catch. But really. Why would, or even should, Varys care about any of them, either for their basic survival or for something as mundane as them having a job?

Was the disguised highborn that paid the fee to Mott even Varys at all? Or was it all just a loose plot string that GRRM has either decided isn't important enough to follow any more or might have even forgotten about?

Archived