Illyrio's Dragon Eggs

DireNorthWolf

Has it been stated where he acquired these eggs from? It would interesting to know if they were from the ruins of Valyria or hatched from specific lineages of known dragons the Targs had.

Of course, the far out theory would be that he and Varys know Cannibal was the last dragon and is residing on Skagos where they got the eggs from.

I don't really believe the Asshai story. Wouldn't surprise me if they were from the Targaryen family stash.

If you look at eggs we've come across in the story/SSMs before, the color combinations of Dany's dragons pop up. Aegon IV gave Lord Butterwell a red and black egg. Aegon V had a green and cream egg, and Elaena and Aerion had cream/silver and gold eggs. They aren't exact matches for Dany's (Drogon came from a black and red egg, not a red and black egg), but the color pairings in general show, I think, that the eggs might come from the same dragons or the same clutches.

The family's dragon eggs are interesting to ponder in general. We go from every Targ, even a younger son of a younger son like Aegon, getting an egg in the cradle, to eggs being rare enough to buy ships and armies in Dany and Viserys's time. So at some point, whatever eggs the family had were lost. Was this at Summerhall? Maybe. Although that begs the question of whether they were destroyed (and what could destroy them?) or stolen.

I'll also suggest that if Illyrio had three eggs to give to Dany, he has more.

Did Bittersteel have a egg or Aerion ?

Aerion had a gold and silver egg, as did Elaena. Not clear if it was two different eggs or the same egg that got passed down. Aerion's is described as gold and silver, while Elaena's is silver and gold (like her hair), so that suggests they're two different eggs with opposite dominant colors.

ETA: Might also be worth noting that it's heavily implied that Bloodraven ended up in possession of the Butterwell egg.

I don't really believe the Asshai story. Wouldn't surprise me if they were from the Targaryen family stash.

If you look at eggs we've come across in the story/SSMs before, the color combinations of Dany's dragons pop up. Aegon IV gave Lord Butterwell a red and black egg. Aegon V had a green and cream egg, and Elaena and Aerion had cream/silver and gold eggs. They aren't exact matches for Dany's (Drogon came from a black and red egg, not a red and black egg), but the color pairings in general show, I think, that the eggs might come from the same dragons or the same clutches.

The family's dragon eggs are interesting to ponder in general. We go from every Targ, even a younger son of a younger son like Aegon, getting an egg in the cradle, to eggs being rare enough to buy ships and armies in Dany and Viserys's time. So at some point, whatever eggs the family had were lost. Was this at Summerhall? Maybe. Although that begs the question of whether they were destroyed (and what could destroy them?) or stolen.

I don't see the difference between black and red and red and black...

I think it could have been as easy as Jahereys stashed them somewhere to stop his family members from killing themselves every time they got the bright idea to try and hatch one. Stash them in some secret part of the Red Keep then he dies without telling anyone. Then Varys stumbles upon them and boom. Dragon eggs for Dany.

Jahereys was the one with the "Targareyns are two sides of a coin" quote.

Black and red: Egg is mostly black with red accents. Like Drogon's egg.

Red and black: Egg is mostly red with black accents.

The first color is the dominant color.

From the Wiki: RE: Butterwell "He performed so poorly that some thought he was in league with Daemon Blackfyre"

Perhaps the mostly black with red accents for Targs, Mostly red with black for Blackfyres. Just food for thought, really.

Illyrio acquired them from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai...

Dany said nothing. Magister Illyrio was a dealer in spices, gemstones, dragonbone, and other, less savory things. He had friends in all of the Nine Free Cities, it was said, and even beyond, in Vaes Dothrak and the fabled lands beside the JadeSea.

Daenerys I, Game

Magister Illyrio murmured a command, and four burly slaves hurried forward, bearing between them a great cedar chest bound in bronze. When she opened it, she found piles of the finest velvets and damasks the Free Cities could produce . . . and resting on top, nestled in the soft cloth, three huge eggs. Dany gasped. They were the most beautiful things she had ever seen, each different than the others, patterned in such rich colors that at first she thought they were crusted with jewels, and so large it took both of her hands to hold one. She lifted it delicately, expecting that it would be made of some fine porcelain or delicate enamel, or even blown glass, but it was much heavier than that, as if it were all of solid stone. The surface of the shell was covered with tiny scales, and as she turned the egg between her fingers, they shimmered like polished metal in the light of the setting sun. One egg was a deep green, with burnished bronze flecks that came and went depending on how Dany turned it. Another was pale cream streaked with gold. The last was black, as black as a midnight sea, yet alive with scarlet ripples and swirls. "What are they?" she asked, her voice hushed and full of wonder.

"Dragon's eggs, from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai," said Magister Illyrio. "The eons have turned them to stone, yet still they burn bright with beauty."

"I shall treasure them always." Dany had heard tales of such eggs, but she had never seen one, nor thought to see one. It was a truly magnificent gift, though she knew that Illyrio could afford to be lavish. He had collected a fortune in horses and slaves for his part in selling her to Khal Drogo.

Daenerys II, Game

Archived