Illyrio's Dragon Eggs

DireNorthWolf

From the Wiki: RE: Butterwell "He performed so poorly that some thought he was in league with Daemon Blackfyre"

Perhaps the mostly black with red accents for Targs, Mostly red with black for Blackfyres. Just food for thought, really.

Sort of following the color scheme for a second ... the Butterwell egg, if it ever hatched, would actually produce a dragon that's the real color of the Targaryen sigil. A red dragon with black accents.

We've seen a red dragon before, Meleys, but her accents were copper (crest, horns and claws) and pink (wing membranes), not black.

I think Illyrio got the dragon eggs from the Targaryen family stash as well. Varys knows the ins and outs of the RK, and likely Dragonstone where the cache of eggs supposedly are. Varys was a skilled thief as we know in ACoK and ADwD, and it would not have been difficult to smuggle the dragon eggs that Robert didn't even know existed.

No idea! Aemon had an egg, too. What happened to it?

He likely left it when he went to the Citadel, and it got returned to the family stash.

The family's dragon eggs are interesting to ponder in general. We go from every Targ, even a younger son of a younger son like Aegon, getting an egg in the cradle, to eggs being rare enough to buy ships and armies in Dany and Viserys's time. So at some point, whatever eggs the family had were lost. Was this at Summerhall? Maybe. Although that begs the question of whether they were destroyed (and what could destroy them?) or stolen.

I think the eggs were just as valuable and rare at the time of D&E, it's just that the Targaryens had the largest collection.

I'd like to believe they're Targaryen eggs, but without a more direct clue in the text I think that conclusion is just a little too speculative. But it's certainly plausible.

See I think it's far sillier to just take what Illyrio says at face value, especially when he has a good reason to lie to her (how would he explain having her family's egg randomly?) but whatever.

I don't really believe the Asshai story. Wouldn't surprise me if they were from the Targaryen family stash.

If you look at eggs we've come across in the story/SSMs before, the color combinations of Dany's dragons pop up. Aegon IV gave Lord Butterwell a red and black egg. Aegon V had a green and cream egg, and Elaena and Aerion had cream/silver and gold eggs. They aren't exact matches for Dany's (Drogon came from a black and red egg, not a red and black egg), but the color pairings in general show, I think, that the eggs might come from the same dragons or the same clutches.

The family's dragon eggs are interesting to ponder in general. We go from every Targ, even a younger son of a younger son like Aegon, getting an egg in the cradle, to eggs being rare enough to buy ships and armies in Dany and Viserys's time. So at some point, whatever eggs the family had were lost. Was this at Summerhall? Maybe. Although that begs the question of whether they were destroyed (and what could destroy them?) or stolen.

I'll also suggest that if Illyrio had three eggs to give to Dany, he has more.

Actually, Viserion's and Eleana's eggs are almost exact matches.

Her [Eleana's] hair was a platinum white with a bright golden streak down the middle, an unusual color even for the Targaryens.

Elaena's most cherished possession was a dragon's egg whose stony shell showed the same colors as her hair.

Another [Viserion as an egg] was pale cream streaked with gold.

Her [Eleana's] hair was a platinum white with a bright golden streak down the middle, an unusual color even for the Targaryens.

Elaena's most cherished possession was a dragon's egg whose stony shell showed the same colors as her hair.

Fair enough, for some reason I thought Aerion's was gold-on-silver/cream. They might very well be the same then.

Illyrio gives a very logical reply about the eggs. Whether or not you choose to believe him is something else. When you think about it, would you tell anyone where, precisely, you got your egg from?

The real question is how come he has three. Leave aside the discussion about the dragon having three heads. Clearly, one each was meant for Dany and Viserys. Who was the third supposed to be for? I can't recall reading where any Targaryen received more than one egg at any time. It was their custom to give one to each new-born.

Does this make you think that Dany and Viserys were to meet up with someone else eventually?

Illyrio gives a very logical reply about the eggs. Whether or not you choose to believe him is something else. When you think about it, would you tell anyone where, precisely, you got your egg from?

The real question is how come he has three. Leave aside the discussion about the dragon having three heads. Clearly, one each was meant for Dany and Viserys. Who was the third supposed to be for? I can't recall reading where any Targaryen received more than one egg at any time. It was their custom to give one to each new-born.

Does this make you think that Dany and Viserys were to meet up with someone else eventually?

I tend to take the unromantic approach to this: The eggs were always meant to be pawned off to pay for ships and/or a sellsword company, and Dany received them instead of Viserys because Illyrio figured she'd hold onto them longer, until the plan was a go. He gave her three because he figured three would be enough to buy whatever they needed.

I don't tend to think Illyrio gave them to her thinking she'd hatch them, or for any deeply symbolic reason. They were currency.

I'm curious as to why Illyrio didn't give the eggs to Viserys or Dany much earlier. If he had access to them, shouldn't be have given them to these Targaryens? If not just to be as supportive as they believe him to be, but because there may have been a chance, however remote, that one of the two of them could have had those dragons hatch thus giving them an even better chance of taking back the throne.

I tend to take the unromantic approach to this: The eggs were always meant to be pawned off to pay for ships and/or a sellsword company, and Dany received them instead of Viserys because Illyrio figured she'd hold onto them longer, until the plan was a go. He gave her three because he figured three would be enough to buy whatever they needed.

I don't tend to think Illyrio gave them to her thinking she'd hatch them, or for any deeply symbolic reason. They were currency.

Well, they also give credit to Daenerys and Viserys well known Targaryen credentials - and the third one could do that for Aegon. After all, Illyrio can pay in cash for ships and supplies

I'm curious as to why Illyrio didn't give the eggs to Viserys or Dany much earlier. If he had access to them, shouldn't be have given them to these Targaryens? If not just to be as supportive as they believe him to be, but because there may have been a chance, however remote, that one of the two of them could have had those dragons hatch thus giving them an even better chance of taking back the throne.

There's absolutely no reason to think the eggs would hatch. It was a freak incident. As for the timing, I think they specifically had to be given once the Dothraki plan was in place.

Well, they also give credit to Daenerys and Viserys well known Targaryen credentials - and the third one could do that for Aegon. After all, Illyrio can pay in cash for ships and supplies

That's true, they do.

I think the point was to prevent the Targ siblings' buying spree to get traced back to Illyrio or Varys. If Illyrio funds the ships and supplies directly, it's easily traced back to him, which throws suspicion on him and could bring heat. But if he gives eggs to Dany and they end up getting used to buy ships, then it's a way for Illyrio and Varys to fund it without "actually" funding it.

I think the point was to prevent the Targ siblings' buying spree to get traced back to Illyrio or Varys. If Illyrio funds the ships and supplies directly, it's easily traced back to him, which throws suspicion on him and could bring heat. But if he gives eggs to Dany and they end up getting used to buy ships, then it's a way for Illyrio and Varys to fund it without "actually" funding it.

It's possible. I don't think Varys mentioned Illyrio when he informed about Dany's wedding.

And, in a tangential note, imagine if Robert had chosen Tywin as Hand:

"My Lord Hand, Daenerys Targaryen is marrying a Dokrathi Khal in a Pentoshi manor, with guests from the highest places of Pentoshi, Tyroshi and other cities society"

Cue to the combined Royal, Iron and Redwyne Fleets burning and sacking Pentos as a warning.

It's possible. I don't think Varys mentioned Illyrio when he informed about Dany's wedding.

And, in a tangential note, imagine if Robert had chosen Tywin as Hand:

"My Lord Hand, Daenerys Targaryen is marrying a Dokrathi Khal in a Pentoshi manor, with guests from the highest places of Pentoshi, Tyroshi and other cities society"

Cue to the combined Royal, Iron and Redwyne Fleets burning and sacking Pentos as a warning.

Not sure but I guess each Free City has more naval power than what Westeros can put forward.

Not sure but I guess each Free City has more naval power than what Westeros can put forward.

Braavos and Volantis may have, but we just don't know about the other Free Cities. In any event, Tywin Lannister doesn't hold the military power of the Free Cities in any esteem and the Pentoshi might think they can deal with him by paying tribute.

See I think it's far sillier to just take what Illyrio says at face value, especially when he has a good reason to lie to her (how would he explain having her family's egg randomly?) but whatever.

See, you were doing just fine until you called me silly. But I doubt you give a poop. In any event, he was a trader in all sorts of things. He could have told her he had acquired Targaryen eggs on the black market after they'd fallen off the back of an ox cart and was returning a family heirloom.

Possibly, but if the George wanted us to reach that conclusion why obscure it to the point of such doubt?

Absolutely, but I suspect he gave them to Daenerys rather than Viserys so that Drogo could dispose of his wife's property with little or no complaint.

Has it been stated where he acquired these eggs from? It would interesting to know if they were from the ruins of Valyria or hatched from specific lineages of known dragons the Targs had.

Of course, the far out theory would be that he and Varys know Cannibal was the last dragon and is residing on Skagos where they got the eggs from.

The secret Targaryen family stash has always my guess. Kept below the

Black Cells of the Red Keep where Varys guides Tyrion during his escape. Varys is very concerned with Tyrion looking around and seeing what's in the there. Says something about how what's hidden down there is too terrifying for anyone to see.

Archived