Dornish Debates iii: Of Kings and Courts

Chebyshov

I just noticed that Daemon Sand shares the name of the Rogue Prince and the Blackfyre moron...

You just noticed that? :lmao: I personally think it just proves that Ser Ryon was very young when he made that particular decision.

Week 1: The Merchant’s Man (Chebyshov)

Week 2: The Windblown (Illuminated by Fire)

Week 3: Interlude: excerpts from Daenerys VI, Daenerys VII, The Discarded Knight

Week 4: The Spurned Suitor (JonCon’s Red Beard)

Week 5: The Dragon Tamer

Week 6: Post-Mortem: excerpts from The Queen’s Hand and implications in Westeros. (Julia Martell)

Two spots left!

You just noticed that? :lmao: I personally think it just proves that Ser Ryon was very young when he made that particular decision.

"Let's name him Dareon... what could possibly go wrong?".

*years later*

I FUCKED YOUR DAUGHTER, PRINCE*.

I DEMAND YOU FREE THE SAND SNAKES.

(Didn't Daemon T also said something like that to Viserys?)

One spot left

Week 3: Interlude: excerpts from Daenerys VI, Daenerys VII, The Discarded Knight (Raving Stark the Mad)

Week 5: The Dragon Tamer

Week 6: Post-Mortem: excerpts from The Queen’s Hand and implications in Westeros. (Julia Martell)

And then there were Six!

Week 3: Interlude: excerpts from Daenerys VI, Daenerys VII, The Discarded Knight (Raving Stark the Mad)

Week 5: The Dragon Tamer (Hrafntýr)

I know well give Quent a reread that befits a prince of Dorne. If it’s even half as good as Arianne’s it will be another extremely fruitful and enjoyable six weeks. Though probably with less feminism and more Freud.

Should we talk about how awesome the Planky Town is? It’s actually a large number of boats lashed together!

Larger and more populous, the Planky Town at the mouth of the river Greenblood is may haps the nearest thing the Dornish have to a true city, though a city of planks instead of streets, where the houses and halls and shops are made from pole boats, barges, and merchant ships, lashed together with hempen rope and floating on the tide.

And then there were Six!

I know well give Quent a reread that befits a prince of Dorne. If it’s even half as good as Arianne’s it will be another extremely fruitful and enjoyable six weeks. Though probably with less feminism and more Freud.

Should we talk about how awesome the Planky Town is? It’s actually a large number of boats lashed together!

Yay on the reread!

As for the Planky Town, it is a cool structure without doubt, though it seems awfully susceptible to dragonfire, being made entirely of wood. Any chance that the Orphans have retained some of that old Rhoynar water magic? They've got traces of the old religion, and possibly a distinctive healing tradition.

The Planky Town was destroyed by dragon fire, if I recall correctly. And twice during Daeron’s invasion and the resulting rebellion by Oakenfist. They just kind of shrugged and rebuilt it. Because they’re Dornish and that’s what they do.

And then there were Six!

I am hyped! This is gonna be fun :thumbsup:

Did Freud have a psychoanalytic theory of penis-phobia?

How did I never notice it was "the Planky Town"? Because it is literally a town that is rather planky. I love the shade Yandel throws at the Shadow City:

There are no cities in Dorne, though the so-called shadow city that clings to the walls of Sunspear is large enough to be counted as a town (a town built of mud and straw, it must be admitted)

I just wanted something to alliterate with feminism, okay! You guys caught me! I know almost nothing about Freud!

Yandel really just didn’t like the Dornish all that much. The way he talks about their “queer ways” is so hilariously condescending. And he heaps praise on Daeron I who, and yeah it’s my bias talking, totally doesn’t deserve to be remember as anything other than an entitled brat.

I think he linked it to castration-anxiety. And of course he was going to link castration-anxiety to Oedipus Complex.

Quentyn has castration enthusiasm. I think he'd be happier if the damn thing fell off.

I just wanted something to alliterate with feminism, okay! You guys caught me! I know almost nothing about Freud!

Yandel really just didn’t like the Dornish all that much. The way he talks about their “queer ways” is so hilariously condescending. And he heaps praise on Daeron I who, and yeah it’s my bias talking, totally doesn’t deserve to be remember as anything other than an entitled brat.

We can talk about how Quentyn represses his id? I'm going to find a way to work it in now.

It's interesting too, because Yandel has to walk a fine line between shitting on both the Targs and the Dornish. But I guess because the Targs are disposed, the tie goes to trash-talking Dorne?

Quentyn has castration enthusiasm. I think he'd be happier if the damn thing fell off.

Feller is just shy and doesn't understand women, or girls either for that matter. Strange, given he's from Dorne and all the attention he was given while young. Maybe he got a boner once in a public location while young and was laughed at.

Feller is just shy and doesn't understand women, or girls either for that matter. Strange, given he's from Dorne and all the attention he was given while young. Maybe he got a boner once in a public location while young and was laughed at.

And it was probably Arianne who laughed at him too... poor kid.

And it was probably Arianne who laughed at him too... poor kid.

Arousal is more physically apparent in boys/men then it is in girls/women. This leads to a period of training in controlling arousal for boys that can contain elements of anxiety and shame. Alot depends on a positive model of male sexuality.

I like Doran, but he never seemed like much of a lover to me. It's obvious he did not get along with the wife he married for love. No real opportunity to be a good role model there.

Arousal is more physically apparent in boys/men then it is in girls/women. This leads to a period of training in controlling arousal for boys that can contain elements of anxiety and shame. Alot depends on a positive model of male sexuality.

I like Doran, but he never seemed like much of a lover to me. It's obvious he did not get along with the wife he married for love. No real opportunity to be a good role model there.

And Anders Yronwood’s wife is totally dead ( :wideeyed:) so no chance of a role model there... Oberyn would probably try to take him to a brothel or something, which I doubt would help.

I imagine Cletus and Drink tried to take him to many a brothel. And he just probably sat in the corner the whole time eating grapes or something.

Oberyn would probably try to take him to a brothel or something, which I doubt would help.

I imagine Cletus and Drink tried to take him to many a brothel. And he just probably sat in the corner the whole time eating grapes or something.

While I don't see going to brothels as positive forms of sexual education, I honestly don't see how it would have hurt Quent.

Brothels have the possibility of enforcing a negative few of women, that they are nothing but what is between their legs and what is there is for men, see what happens to Tyrion. Quentyn on the other hand seems to see women as mysterious creatures, some of un-fathomed beauty, ethereal and powerful. Quentyn just doesn't put women on a pedestal, he puts them on a pedestal he cannot reach. He needs to find an attitude somewhere in the middle, and a brothel might help. An older paramour might have even been better.

Drink actually did try to take Quent to a brothel once or twice, and get him to loosen up, but he always refused. He was too "dutiful" and didn't recognize or value his needs as a man.

So on one end you may have a sexual assaulter, a rapist, who simply "takes". On the other end of the spectrum you have a man who couldn't ask for sex, and wouldn't pay for sex, even if he hasn't had any in 20 years. Being healthy is somewhere in-between I think.

Well, I'm not sure how much penis-anxiety Anders instilled...Cletus certainly wasn't affected in the same way. IMO Quentyn's just shy and thinks that taking carnal pleasure is somehow indicative of poor leadership qualities. The first 8 years of his life were Doran and Mellario screaming at each other (or rather Mellario screaming and Doran quietly pushing back, if the one fight Arianne recalled is anything to go by), so I'm sure that did a number on him.

Archived