Who Recommended Syrio Forel to Ned?

DireNorthWolf

It seems that a person as guarded and mistrustful of Kings Landing, yet alone the East, would have entrusted his daughters swordsmanship to someone without a sterling recommendation.

Who was it that gave him the recommendation and why?

The easy answer is a Varys plot, but someone from the North who was sworn to him and who he trusted seems more in line with who Ned was.

It seems that a person as guarded and mistrustful of Kings Landing, yet alone the East, would have entrusted his daughters swordsmanship to someone without a sterling recommendation.

Who was it that gave him the recommendation and why?

The easy answer is a Varys plot, but someone from the North who was sworn to him and who he trusted seems more in line with who Ned was.

I think Ned was a functionalist, militarily speaking. So my guess would be the Master at Arms, whoever that was.

Just throwing this out there, and I have NO proof or evidence to support it: I'm sure no Master-at-Arms in kings landing would refer him to a Bravosi style fighter, and I'm positive Barristan wouldn't dare. My guess is Littlefinger; Ned foolishly trusted Littlefinger. And who else would have known to seek Arya, after Ned's fall, at a lesson with her dancing master?

Given Arya's age and size it would have been kind of pointless to have her learn the Westerosi style of fighting. She wouldn't, and probably never will, have the physical strength to hack away at someone with a broadsword while wearing metal armour. Ned would know this, and probably was aware enough of the more formal style of Braavosi fighting being more suitable for smaller people who aren't wearing armour, and therefore would look for someone trained in that art. Besides, it was probably much less about trying to turn Arya into a killer and more trying to calm her down, like a real-world parent putting a hyperactive kid into karate in order to calm them down and teach them some discipline.

I don't think it was anyone significant or that it matters since he didn't think about it.

How did Ned Stark run into Syrio Forel?
Well, I’ve never given it much thought. Ned was searching for a fencing master who could teach Arya, and he knew it couldn’t not be a conventional master at arms or a knight, or the castle master at arms, because he didn’t think his young daughter could handle a broadsword (or maybe longsword) the way man with greater strength in their torso could, so he decided the Braavosi style suited her best. Who was available in the city that might fit the bill? Obviously, somebody had to recommend him to Ned. I believe Syrio must have been in the city at the time, because there wasn’t enough time to send for someone all the way from Braavos.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/71917-new-grrm-interview/

Ned was a warrior, as a rather intelligent, and I would say humble one, it seems reasonable that he would make a study of other martial arts. He may have been proficient and preferred a greatsword, but it wouldnt be out of character for him to speak to, and maybe even learn a little technique from a Braavosi. If he did he may have come across Syrio in the past, or at least may have heard the name.

I see Syrio as already being in King's Landing, teaching younger members of highborn families. His reputation would be all Ned had to hear, and knowing Braavosi style is dance-like. Look how much Arya thought of it. She enjoyed every minute of every lesson.

Just throwing this out there, and I have NO proof or evidence to support it: I'm sure no Master-at-Arms in kings landing would refer him to a Bravosi style fighter, and I'm positive Barristan wouldn't dare. My guess is Littlefinger; Ned foolishly trusted Littlefinger. And who else would have known to seek Arya, after Ned's fall, at a lesson with her dancing master?

He would have been asking about the kind of sword Arya had. Masters at Arms know that kind of thing.

Syrio is totally awesome and totally irrelevant.

Syrio, Eddard and Yoren all served the same purpose:

Good & Honorable will get you killed.

Or at least that's how I see it...

More fuel for her turn towards the dark.

More fuel for her turn towards the dark....

...but eventually return to the light, where she belongs? She'll come back around if she lives long enough. The pack is strong. She needs to get home.

Littlefinger is a good guess. He's got ties to Braavos, as does Varys. Aron Santagar is also a possibility. I'd say these three are the most likely options.

Given Arya's age and size it would have been kind of pointless to have her learn the Westerosi style of fighting. She wouldn't, and probably never will, have the physical strength to hack away at someone with a broadsword while wearing metal armour. Ned would know this, and probably was aware enough of the more formal style of Braavosi fighting being more suitable for smaller people who aren't wearing armour, and therefore would look for someone trained in that art. Besides, it was probably much less about trying to turn Arya into a killer and more trying to calm her down, like a real-world parent putting a hyperactive kid into karate in order to calm them down and teach them some discipline.

This ^ seems the most likely reason

aslo given how close they are bravos and the north may already have interaction

Ned seems to see his brother as a master swordsman so he may have also trained with a dancing master a bit just to see if he could use any of it in westeros style combat.

More fuel for her turn towards the dark.

Not sure that Syrio died because he was good and honourable. All Stark employees in KL seemed to be eliminated, so not sure Syrio survives another day even if he doesn't protect Arya.

Maybe his affiliation would have been loose enough to survive the purge, but I doubt it. Seems like Cersei was erring on the side of 'kill them all, God will recognize his own' type of thinking.

Archived