Will the Boltons survive the Battle of Winterfell?

Fat Mac

Just want to gauge general opinion on what people see happening with the Boltons come Winds of Winter.

So, just general thoughts. Will both Boltons die? Just one? Neither?

Personally, I can see Ramsay dying much easier than I can see Roose dying at this juncture in the story. Ramsay's dumber, is actually isolated in terms of allies (no lords like him, and all of his men are actually Roose's spies), and even Reeks been lost. Plus, I see Roose having much greater significance to the overall story. If the Boltons have any supernatural connection, be it with the Others or something else, Roose would be the one to know about it, not Ramsay. I see Stannis winning the battle, Ramsay dying in it, and Roose making an escape somehow. But that's just me.

Follow up question- If a Bolton does survive, what will be his further role in the story?

All inputs welcome.

I think at least one of them will survive the Battle of Winterfell, and my money is on Roose

I think his next role will be fodder for Rickon/Jon/Sansa or whoever leads the second wave of attack against the Boltons, once Stannis fails

Just want to gauge general opinion on what people see happening with the Boltons come Winds of Winter.

So, just general thoughts. Will both Boltons die? Just one? Neither?

Personally, I can see Ramsay dying much easier than I can see Roose dying at this juncture in the story. Ramsay's dumber, is actually isolated in terms of allies (no lords like him, and all of his men are actually Roose's spies), and even Reeks been lost. Plus, I see Roose having much greater significance to the overall story. If the Boltons have any supernatural connection, be it with the Others or something else, Roose would be the one to know about it, not Ramsay. I see Stannis winning the battle, Ramsay dying in it, and Roose making an escape somehow. But that's just me.

Follow up question- If a Bolton does survive, what will be his further role in the story?

All inputs welcome.

I'm wondering if one of the Boltons doesn't become the Night's King? Perhaps Ramsay. I don't think Roose Bolton would bother to march on the Wall but Ramsay has no discipline and is positively evil. I've never forgotten Nan's old story about the Night's King. She said a lot of people said it was a Bolton, but it wasn't, it was a Stark of Winterfell. Oddly enough, the Boltons are at Winterfell now. I find that just too coincidental not to at least peruse a bit. I believe the Starks will retake Winterfell, whether its Rickon or Sansa or Arya (doubtful) . The Boltons may survive, but if they do it will be as a lesser house, stripped of much of their powers and lands and incomes. The flayed man sigil will be taken away from them. Either that or they will be utterly destroyed outright for their treachery against Robb and Winterfell. Maybe Rickon will let them clean up Shaggy Dog's scat..

I think too many people assume Stannis winning Winterfell as a forgone conclusion. Usually when GRRM makes you believe something... that's when he gets you. I imagine Stannis will end up taking the field against the Freys, but flounder in actually taking Winterfell, and the Boltons live on.

Is the rest of the manderly (or some other) army east of winterfell? That would be roose's only worry, surely.

Leave manderlys, freys and stannis to sort their stuff out and dwindle their numbers, flee east while thats going on towards home, leave ramsay as a sacrife to appease northmen if he loses or to keep winterfell if he doesnt.

He'll have ravens flying south asking for help from the freys and lannisters and if he gets none and loses winterfell, he's holed up in his home for the winter with most of his force in tact and an opportunity to parley later if things die down.

Stannis might try to siege him out and take his head but it'll be hard without melisandre there and during winter

No. They and the Bolton line likely ends there, unless Stannis is kind enough to allow Walda's child to inherit the Dreadfort. There is no real way to avoid this. If they retreat to the Dreadfort it's only a matter of time. There is no help coming north. There are no more manpower pools. It's a victory at Winterfell or having Bolton guts decorate a heart tree.

Shaggy and Ghost teaming up?

Although I'd like Ghost to stay away from Ramsay's bitches. But then again, maybe someone will take those out before a wolf gets near them.

Ghost would tear the bitches to pieces but yeh when Shaggy (hopefully) reappears all kinds of shit is hitting the fan.

Nymeria and her pack is another option but geographly unlikely ATM.

Archived