Drogon's Disappearance

Hawk_2230

While reading through the series, did anyone else hope or think that when Drogon disappeared that he would appear at the wall for Jon Snow to ride ? I was really hoping this would happen :(

(This was before I became addicted to these forums and head R+l=J)

No. He his Dany's dragon. Why the hell should Jon get to ride him? There are two other perfectly good dragons Jon can pick from.

Didnt know he was Danys at the time, thought this while reading when he flew off

You mean GRRM. The one who's been setting up the bond between Dany and Drogon since before he was even born.

Personally, I see no bond between Drogon and Dany prior to hatching. I don't think the dragon Dany saw in her dreams was Drogon. That dragon was Dany and she hatched just like Egg hatched in Whitewalls.

Personally, I see no bond between Drogon and Dany prior to hatching. I don't think the dragon Dany saw in her dreams was Drogon. That dragon was Dany and she hatched just like Egg hatched in Whitewalls.

It's definitely Drogon who appears to Dany especially in the dragon dream where he heals her. However, that doesn't negate the fact the Drogon himself is a representation of Dany both in dreams and reality. He's very much her alter ego.

Here's a good example of a dragon dreams and the description of the dragon matching Drogon:

Dany I AGOT

There are no more dragons, Dany thought, staring at her brother, though she did not dare say it aloud. Yet that night she dreamt of one. Viserys was hitting her, hurting her. She was naked, clumsy with fear. She ran from him, but her body seemed thick and ungainly. He struck her again. She stumbled and fell . “You woke the dragon,” he screamed as he kicked her. “You woke the dragon, you woke the dragon.” Her thighs were slick with blood. She closed her eyes and whimpered. As if in answer, there was a hideous ripping sound and the crackling of some great fire. When she looked again, Viserys was gone, great columns of flame rose all around, and in the midst of them was the dragon. It turned its great head slowly. When its molten eyes found hers, she woke, shaking and covered with a fine sheen of sweat. She had never been so afraid …

Dany III AGOT

"Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time . There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her. She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

And the next day, strangely, she did not seem to hurt quite so much. It was as if the gods had heard her and taken pity. Even her handmaids noticed the change. “Khaleesi,” Jhiqui said, “what is wrong? Are you sick?”

“I was,” she answered, standing over the dragon’s eggs that Illyrio had given her when she wed. She touched one, the largest of the three, running her hand lightly over the shell. Black-and-scarlet, she thought, like the dragon in my dream."

Dany Ix ADWD

"In the smoldering red pits of Drogon’s eyes, Dany saw her own reflection. How small she looked, how weak and frail and scared. I cannot let him see my fear."

Drogon’s wide black wings beat the air.

It's definitely Drogon who appears to Dany especially in the dragon dream where he heals her. However, that doesn't negate the fact the Drogon himself is a representation of Dany both in dreams and reality. He's very much her alter ego.

Molaf has the truth of it I think. The dragon is described exactly as Drogon, and Dany had never seen a dragon to know what 1 would look like.

Here's a good example of a dragon dreams and the description of the dragon matching Drogon:

Dany I AGOT

There are no more dragons, Dany thought, staring at her brother, though she did not dare say it aloud. Yet that night she dreamt of one. Viserys was hitting her, hurting her. She was naked, clumsy with fear. She ran from him, but her body seemed thick and ungainly. He struck her again. She stumbled and fell . “You woke the dragon,” he screamed as he kicked her. “You woke the dragon, you woke the dragon.” Her thighs were slick with blood. She closed her eyes and whimpered. As if in answer, there was a hideous ripping sound and the crackling of some great fire. When she looked again, Viserys was gone, great columns of flame rose all around, and in the midst of them was the dragon. It turned its great head slowly. When its molten eyes found hers, she woke, shaking and covered with a fine sheen of sweat. She had never been so afraid …

Dany III AGOT

"Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time . There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her. She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

And the next day, strangely, she did not seem to hurt quite so much. It was as if the gods had heard her and taken pity. Even her handmaids noticed the change. “Khaleesi,” Jhiqui said, “what is wrong? Are you sick?”

“I was,” she answered, standing over the dragon’s eggs that Illyrio had given her when she wed. She touched one, the largest of the three, running her hand lightly over the shell. Black-and-scarlet, she thought, like the dragon in my dream."

Dany Ix ADWD

"In the smoldering red pits of Drogon’s eyes, Dany saw her own reflection. How small she looked, how weak and frail and scared. I cannot let him see my fear."

Drogon's scales are black streaked with scarlet. The dragon in Dany's dream had night black scales with no mention of scarlet streaks.

Drogon's scales are black streaked with scarlet. The dragon in Dany's dream had night black scales with no mention of scarlet streaks.

Yet, Dany comes right out and says that the dragon she dreamt with has the exact same coloring as the black and red egg. Besides that dragon was covered in her (red) blood which would match Drogon's red streaks and of course less we forget the red eyes.

Dany I AGOT

Dany III AGOT

Dany Ix ADWD

Add to this all the facets of Dany/Drogon's relationship: dragon and dragon rider, mother and child, and lovers. When Dany rides Drogon for the first time, it's described as very sexual. When she masturbates aboard the ship in ASOS, her screams of pleasure get mixed up with Drogon's screams.

While Viserion and Rhaegal will often ride on Dany's shoulders, it's Drogon who comes to Dany whenever she's contemplative or upset. He'll play with her or just sit next to her on the couch. Their bond goes way beyond just dragon and rider.

I don't know where this "Jon gets Drogon because he is the best dragon" comes from...well, yes I do. But the only reason why Drogon is seen as the "best" dragon is because we see more of his personality in large part because he is so bonded to Dany and her POV is the only one where get to see the dragons are more than just weapons.

Once Tyrion hops onto Viserion, we'll see more of that dragon and what he's like. Jon getting Rhaegal makes loads more sense than getting a dragon that is named for Dany's first husband, with which her riding is described in a very sexual manner, and who is bonded to Dany in ways that are very unique. Jon riding a dragon will happen, but he can ride Rhaegal and still have it be totally awesome.

Archived