Legend of Korra Book 4 [Spoilers]

Sci-2

Loved the episode! Kuvira's mix of Bismark and Hitler works very well an her inventive uses of combat metal-bending are completely bad-ass. Also, she seems to have a good point to the populace - these initial bandits, who also attacked her train were clearly a genuine article and their were making townfolk's life miserable. All in all, a very promising villain introduction. Plus, all the Bei-fong drama! Heh.

I, for one, really like that the Air Nation is developing into something new, rather than going back to monks and temples and giving up your infant kids to be raised in the latter. It is good to see them taking an active part in the world. And, after enjoying Tenzin's adorable family for 3 seasons, it would be awful to go back to previous Air Nomad ways.

Really liked where Bolin and Mako have gone, heh. Bolin is building a "Hemingway" CV. What other jobs is he going to have before the end?

The brief "Rocky" Korra narrative was very fitting too, I thought. She is not wheelchair-bound anymore, but getting back to form will take some doing, if it happens at all. Here is to hoping that it will include a visit to the Fire Nation!

I have to disagree that Katara is "too old" to actively participate in things. She is significantly younger than King Bumi was, a little younger that Zuko (who participated more actively in season 3) and only a little older than Toph, who might take an active part in this season. Not to mention that being a healer, she really should be in a very good shape.

IMHO, it was just one of the many plot-holes of season 2, coupled with understandable reluctance to let the ATLA characters take a center stage in Korra. Still, they could have come up with a better explanation for Katara's lack of participation. Unalak could have been clever and made sure to come up with some ploy to keep her out of the way, for instance.

Loved the episode! Kuvira's mix of Bismark and Hitler works very well an her inventive uses of combat metal-bending are completely bad-ass. Also, she seems to have a good point to the populace - these initial bandits, who also attacked her train were clearly a genuine article and their were making townfolk's life miserable. All in all, a very promising villain introduction. Plus, all the Bei-fong drama! Heh.

I, for one, really like that the Air Nation is developing into something new, rather than going back to monks and temples and giving up your infant kids to be raised in the latter. It is good to see them taking an active part in the world. And, after enjoying Tenzin's adorable family for 3 seasons, it would be awful to go back to previous Air Nomad ways.

Really liked where Bolin and Mako have gone, heh. Bolin is building a "Hemingway" CV. What other jobs is he going to have before the end?

The brief "Rocky" Korra narrative was very fitting too, I thought. She is not wheelchair-bound anymore, but getting back to form will take some doing, if it happens at all. Here is to hoping that it will include a visit to the Fire Nation!

I have to disagree that Katara is "too old" to actively participate in things. She is significantly younger than King Bumi was, a little younger that Zuko (who participated more actively in season 3) and only a little older than Toph, who might take an active part in this season. Not to mention that being a healer, she really should be in a very good shape.

IMHO, it was just one of the many plot-holes of season 2, coupled with understandable reluctance to let the ATLA characters take a center stage in Korra. Still, they could have come up with a better explanation for Katara's lack of participation. Unalak could have been clever and made sure to come up with some ploy to keep her out of the way, for instance.

I don't just mean old in years, I mean old in physical deterioration and overall mileage. I know plenty of 50-year olds who are in better shape than your average guy in their 20's because they exercise a lot more, it's about more than what your birthdate says.

Yes Zuko is older chronologically, but if you put this version of Zuko next to the current Katara, you would swear Zuko was younger the way he's moving around.

And Bumi is the most horrible example of older characters, as he is over a hundred but stronger than 99% of the world Aang lived in.

And just because you are a healer does not mean you yourself are in awesome shape, there are plenty of doctors who aren't exactly in optimum condition.

I was wondering about Toph. the circumstances of her absence. It's like nobody has seen or heard from her in some years. And somehow people are putting it down to Toph being a free spirit. Probably off travelling somewhere. And not given it more thought than that.

It's really only just occurred to me how sinister that is.

What if Toph was captured and imprisoned years ago. And not one single person thought to look for her. Toph drops off the face of the world and nobody wonders why they haven't heard from her.

Because "You know what mum's/Toph is like."

Maybe I'm mis-remembering the information we have been given about Toph since Korra started and that's why I haven't thought until now about her obvious absence.

The episode was ok. Feels a bit like a new show with the time-jump. The animation seemed different too but it could be that all the cast just look "off" with the ageing.

I felt Kuvira was a bit too obvious in her hitler-like "reunifying the earth kingdom under veiled "banditry" " It also raised severe questions about Bolin. He's either on board with all this or a complete idiot, neither option is favourable.

I guess they are making the prince a prick so that we side with Kuvira? Most of the regular members of the thread will know how much I hated the set up of the earth kingdom so I'm disappointed they are trying to reinstate them. Hopefully not as a ruling monarch but a figurehead, otherwise I'd probably rather they have Kuvira in charge.

The episode was ok. Feels a bit like a new show with the time-jump. The animation seemed different too but it could be that all the cast just look "off" with the ageing.

I felt Kuvira was a bit too obvious in her hitler-like "reunifying the earth kingdom under veiled "banditry" " It also raised severe questions about Bolin. He's either on board with all this or a complete idiot, neither option is favourable.

I guess they are making the prince a prick so that we side with Kuvira? Most of the regular members of the thread will know how much I hated the set up of the earth kingdom so I'm disappointed they are trying to reinstate them. Hopefully not as a ruling monarch but a figurehead, otherwise I'd probably rather they have Kuvira in charge.

Here is the thing: Kuvira is a needed evil, it is this or watch the Earth Kingdom burn.

That's hardly true. For example, Kuvira could do what she does, but NOT demand loyalty to herself from the governors.

That would just encourage future problems with random states claiming independence and possibly sovereignty over others. And if her forces can't redistribute resources all their help is just temporary and likely to be undone by bandits at a later date.

Also, don't forget the Red Lotus is still presumably out there, seeking to destabilize where they can.

That would just encourage future problems with random states claiming independence and possibly sovereignty over others. And if her forces can't redistribute resources all their help is just temporary and likely to be undone by bandits at a later date.

Also, don't forget the Red Lotus is still presumably out there, seeking to destabilize where they can.

None of which says Kuvira's way is the only way. It is one thing to say: I can help you now, but till you unify, there isn't any long term solution, so please unify under X. Meanwhile, here's some food and temp relief from banditry.

That's not what she's doing. She's, at the very least, using a preexisting threat to further her power, and clearly ok with letting people die unless their leaders cave to her demands.

The presence of the Red Lotus also doesn't justify holding people's lives at ransom.

None of which says Kuvira's way is the only way. It is one thing to say: I can help you now, but till you unify, there isn't any long term solution, so please unify under X. Meanwhile, here's some food and temp relief from banditry.

That's not what she's doing. She's, at the very least, using a preexisting threat to further her power, and clearly ok with letting people die unless their leaders cave to her demands.

The presence of the Red Lotus also doesn't justify holding people's lives at ransom.

Wrong, it wasn't just that the leader wouldn't cave to her demands, the governor also told her to leave and to take her army with her. Im not saying Kuvira's a saint, but that governor was basically putting his ego over his people's welfare.

Here is the thing: Kuvira is a needed evil, it is this or watch the Earth Kingdom burn.

I'm with the others in the sense she doesn't need to strong arm them with "we only help if you join us". That would be like NATO pulling the same stunt. Speaking of which it's a shame there isn't an international peace keeping force in this world to police things. Although it's far better to have each kingdom police itself than for the locals to think "outsiders" are interfering,

And if the airbenders can tell something us up with Kuvira's tactics then I'm again at a loss to what Bolin is up to.

I'm curious as to what the Red Lotus will think of Kuvira, or worse, the coronation of another earth king,

While it seems like I'm anti-kuvira I actually really like her status as a villain in the show. It's a bit like the fire kingdom's initial behaviour where you can already see how it can topple into a dictatorship.

Why would she beg and plead with people to unify when they can just extort her kindness[?] She needs the supplies to maintain order, if people just take without extending that order it's just a wasted opportunity cost since those supplies were subtracted from the total without any benefit.

It's not like Kuvira can magically make food appear. Not to mention why should her own troops risk their lives to help people who will only be attacked by bandits later? Better for them if they are risking their lives for a reunited, orderly Earth Kingdom.

Why would she beg and plead with people to unify when they can just extort her kindness. She needs the supplies to maintain order, if people just take without extending that order it's just a wasted opportunity cost since those supplies were subtracted from the total without any benefit.

It's not like Kuvira can magically make food appear. Not to mention why should her own troops risk their lives to help people who will only be attacked by bandits later? Better for them if they are risking their lives for a reunited, orderly Earth Kingdom.

I'm pretty sure that the job she had for those bandits she caught was to have them be bandits on her behalf. Unless she makes them part of her army and then she's far more interesting.

I'd say the show was definitely going for a sinister tone with Kuvira's actions though. To interpret it as the county leader being obstinate is to miss what the writers were going for. It's good that the characters are deep enough to be able to pick out different conclusions though, The county leader was the voice of Bumi (Tenzin's brother) right:? I found it pretty distracting.

Wrong, it wasn't just that the leader wouldn't cave to her demands, the governor also told her to leave and to take her army with her. Im not saying Kuvira's a saint, but that governor was basically putting his ego over his people's welfare.

Pretty sure he asked her to get out because her help came with strings. If she'd been like the Air Nation, he'd probably have called her in myself.

Pretty sure he asked her to get out because her help came with strings. If she'd been like the Air Nation, he'd probably have called her in myself.

Seems like this is arguing in circles. Of course there are strings - what's the point in wasting money giving supplies to people when bandits will come, or the state later ends up in a dispute with its neighbors?

Why should Kuvira just give out handouts?

I'm pretty sure that the job she had for those bandits she caught was to have them be bandits on her behalf. Unless she makes them part of her army and then she's far more interesting.

I'd say the show was definitely going for a sinister tone with Kuvira's actions though. To interpret it as the county leader being obstinate is to miss what the writers were going for. It's good that the characters are deep enough to be able to pick out different conclusions though, The county leader was the voice of Bumi (Tenzin's brother) right:? I found it pretty distracting.

We'll see. Hopefully it's more nuanced than that.

Seems like this is arguing in circles. Of course there are strings - what's the point in wasting money giving supplies to people when bandits will come, or the state later ends up in a dispute with its neighbors?

Why should Kuvira just give out handouts?

Pretty much this, it's not like she has unlimited supplies, she needs all the resources of the states she has now to help out/conquer the rest.

I've seen that theory being taken for gospel on the AVclub comments, but I'd be very disappointed if it were true.

Generally false flag operations and conspiracies are incredibly rare. This is for a reason: they are incredibly difficult to pull of secretly and it's usually laughably obvious when it's tried. There's no reason for Kuvira to take a huge hit to her credibility to send fake bandits to terrorize people when the countries already in chaos and there are already bandits terrorizing people.

Archived