Daenerys' Father

WardofWinterfell

Could Daenerys be a bastard? In chapter 67 of ADWD, Ser Barristan is pondering Dany's appeance and is quoted "Daenerys has the same eyes. Sometimes when the queen looked at him, he felt as if he were looking at Ashara's daughter..."

Ashara is the sister of Arthur Dayne, captain of Aerys II kingsgaurd. Barristan loved Ashara and served with Arthur. Could Queen Rhaella have had a Arthur as a lover while Aerys was decending into madness near the end. It is written in chapter 16 of AFFC that they slept in different beds and Aerys only came to her room after he burned somebody. This may be a long shot, but I do find it odd that GRRM would add the quote about Dany's apperance and the very end of ADWD.

Yes. There is a small little mini petite chance that she's not Aerys' father.

But... what purpose would it serve to the story? No one.

Aerys's daughter.

What is your display pic supposed to mean? I can't get my mind off innuendos related to JC <3 R

If Aerys isn't het father, the thing Jorah and Barristan tells about her in figurative way actially becomes literal. She is Rhaegar's sister, not her father's daughter. Other than that, no immediate help in moving Dany's story forward, but it adds colors to Arthur Dayne's otherwise spotless life. Remember Arianne making Arys Oakhart conspire to make Myrcella the queen, with the promise that if Myrcella becomes queen, she will let Arys marry Arianne? We know Rhaegar was planning rebellion against his father.

Rhaella loved Ser Bonifer Hasty, the Holy-Hundred fame and current castellan of Harrenhal. But that was so long ago, before Aerys became mad. May be she tried to find solace in another man after all the torture she's been put to by Aerys? Only downside I see is Ser Arthur must be around 15 years younger than Rhaella. (Since Arthur was younger than Edric's father). But seeing Osney's relationship with Cersei, why not?

Well, I'd like the irony if half the population of this birthright-afflicted land wasn't child of who they are thought to be.

Daenerys being Arthur Dayne's, Jon being Rhaegar's, "Aegon" being Illyrio's, the Lannister being Aerys's, Sweet Rob being Baelish's, Tommen being the only one alive descending from Aerys the Mad...

It would be funny. Maybe even a bit too much.

But hey, we could have been thaught a lesson all the way long, about not taking too seriously the hair colour as a way to determinate parental ties and starting civil wars out of that?

Could Daenerys be a bastard? In chapter 67 of ADWD, Ser Barristan is pondering Dany's appeance and is quoted "Daenerys has the same eyes. Sometimes when the queen looked at him, he felt as if he were looking at Ashara's daughter..."

Ashara is the sister of Arthur Dayne, captain of Aerys II kingsgaurd. Barristan loved Ashara and served with Arthur. Could Queen Rhaella have had a Arthur as a lover while Aerys was decending into madness near the end. It is written in chapter 16 of AFFC that they slept in different beds and Aerys only came to her room after he burned somebody. This may be a long shot, but I do find it odd that GRRM would add the quote about Dany's apperance and the very end of ADWD.

Arthur Dayne went missing with Rhaegar shortly before the Rebellion began, and was found roughly a year later at the Tower of Joy. He had been with Rhaegar, as he had been Rhaegars guard, and Rhaegar had not set foot in the capitol for quite some time. And when he finally did, it seems he did not take Dayne with him.

So Rhaella and Dayne were not anywhere near each other in the year before Daenerys´ conception.

No, she´s not Arthur´s bastard.

Arthur Dayne went missing with Rhaegar shortly before the Rebellion began, and was found roughly a year later at the Tower of Joy. He had been with Rhaegar, as he had been Rhaegars guard, and Rhaegar had not set foot in the capitol for quite some time. And when he finally did, it seems he did not take Dayne with him.

So Rhaella and Dayne were not anywhere near each other in the year before Daenerys´ conception.

No, she´s not Arthur´s bastard.

The timeline was what I really hadn't grasped. When Rhaella went to Dragonstone, she was freshly conceived, so she had nine months there before the birth. Since Dayne and Rhaegar were close companions, he may not have been around like you say, which would then squash this theory.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah there's. Pretty plausible you tube theory on R + L = D and A+B = J

I like the idea and have played with it myself but the one issue I have with it is: Why would Ned take Jon away from Ashara? Jon wouldn't have been in any danger there if he was Brandon's and Ashara's. So no real reason. And does Ned strike us as the type to take a baby away from his loving mother without a very good reason?

To the OP:

Instead of questioning who Dany's father is we can also question who is the mother. The Rhaella story may be true or not - the last living witness was Viserys and we know from AGOT that Dany has all her knowledge about her supposed parentage from him. It is explicitly stated in AGOT that she herself has no memories of her parents and family at all (hardly suprising :P). Viserys might have been telling the story true - or not.

So instead of Arthur Dayne and Rhaella one might also think of Aerys II and Ashara or Rhaegar and Ashara.

Problem is its all pure speculation since we have nothing to go on except for Dany's and Ashara's similar looks and a little fishiness about the stories of Dany's birth. Nothing that really is any kind of fact.

Archived