Doctor Who Series 8; The time of the man that stops the monsters (v2)

Jon's Queen Consort

Jamie Mathieson: Doctor Who writer-to-watch. He's handled both the last two episodes brilliantly in terms of that tricky ideas/emotions/plot balance, and pretty much all quibbles I've had with either have come from what I presume to be the wider arc dictated by Moffatt (specifically, everything to do with Danny and Clara's decision not to tell him she's not ditching the Doc after all).

I also have the distinct impression that he fancies himself as a future showrunner (I wouldn't be at all surprised if the mysterious Gus was something akin to River for Moffat, returning in later seasons). I'd want to see him back next season before I was enthusiastic about that idea, but on the early evidence, far rather him than Gatiss. Although Gatiss has grown on me.

Ha, I've been having a look around online for reactions to the episode and it seems I'm not the only one with the notion that he's a potential showrunner. There's an extraordinary amount of discussion of the notion for someone who's done two episodes.

It's odd because neither episode was a stone-cold classic- it's not like the Moff's episodes in RTD's era, sticking out by miles. But something about them just clicked, I guess.

Also, just to say, some excellent lines in this episode. "Doctor of what exactly?" "Of lies!" and "I really like that hairband, but I guess I'll just look at it every day and think of the hero who died to save it". :laugh:

Yeah, I enjoyed that a great deal. :)

Loved the episode, and I loved the Doctor's speech at the end about fighting monsters. To me, there was an anger in Capaldi's face that was thematically quite important and very different from Matt Smith's "Basically, run"-type speeches. It was as though he was saying, "You want me to do this again?" It's almost as though the Doctor seemed angry at these creatures for their two-dimensional evil, as it were, and even more furious that they forced him to do what he always does. It was great, and very in-keeping with this season's themes.

*Though I have to admit, my favorite bit of this episode was right before the speech, when the TARDIS came back and threw the (Boneless?) back with an energy field. The angle that they showed the blue box was very intimidating and powerful! :)

I actually enjoyed Flatline slightly more than Listen.

Listen was great and it spoke to me on a basic fear level. But the consistency was slightly off and it loses about a .2 in my rating for the ending of the episode. I saw what it was going for. The timey wimey knock on effect. But to me it missed it and became annoying.

Flatline was solid, consistent and enjoyable. It never lost my attention. It had great Doctor - Companion flipped moments. Moments where Clara was actively trying to understand the Doctor. The whats and the whys of his actions as she understands them. Sometimes getting it and a few moments of missing it.

Also the Doctor not getting thanked by anyone. And then his line about. "Goodness had nothing to do with it." Was a great Companion experience/reflection for him.

The ending landed almost perfectly.

The Missy "tease" was a little too Mwahahahahaaaa. For my tastes.

My personal rating for those 2 episodes would be

Listen 9.2

Flatline 9.5

Ha, I've been having a look around online for reactions to the episode and it seems I'm not the only one with the notion that he's a potential showrunner. There's an extraordinary amount of discussion of the notion for someone who's done two episodes.

There's been a distinct shortage of appealing candidates for the role, and Mathieson has come up with two episodes that weren't stupid.

It's almost as though the Doctor seemed angry at these creatures for their two-dimensional evil, as it were

*LOL* Though I wish they hadn't turned out to be evil; the idea had a lot of potential which I think was squandered by degenerating into a standard being-chased-by-shambling-monsters plot. A good episode, but I think Mummy was better.

Douglas Mckinnon has also done a good job directing this season as well.

Jamie Mathieson is off to a very promising start. I think I'd rather have him throwing good single episodes out on a regular basis as opposed to running the show. Look what happened the last time the best episode writer got the job.

Moffat has been doing a better job this season though - except for his "most important girl in the universe" and so far pointless Missy arc.

If Mathieson can bring the sort of quality from Mummy and Flatline to an entire season then I'd love to see him take over from Moffat, who hopefully will be stepping down soon. Moffat is just too inconsistent. Now he's written some great standalone episodes, and the start of his long arcs are good: S5 was one of - if not the - best season of Doctor Who yet and the Cracks in Time were a great recurring plot point. But then season 6 and 7 where increasingly bad and convoluted.

There's been a distinct shortage of appealing candidates for the role, and Mathieson has come up with two episodes that weren't stupid.

*LOL* Though I wish they hadn't turned out to be evil; the idea had a lot of potential which I think was squandered by degenerating into a standard being-chased-by-shambling-monsters plot. A good episode, but I think Mummy was better.

Yeah, I thought of Edwin Abbot's Flatland and hoped that their killing was just misunderstanding three dimensions. Instead, they turned out to be like the gas creatures in the Dickens episode.

I have to admit, this might be my favorite of the season, with The Mummy and Time Heist close behind.

I have enjoyed most of the new season. In fact, the only episode I haven't felt the slightest inclination to rewatch on iPlayer is Kill The Moon. All the other eps have had interesting stuff in them, as well as generally decent dialogue/ humour.

Flatline is my joint favourite along with Mummy. Deep Breath is a close third.

Hahaha,very cute. I actually would like to have the tiny blue one. Replica that is just Tardis with no other function.

If there is to be any Doctor inside you know who I'd prefer :)

Ok episode,I agree with those who think this season is very enjoyable :)

BTW I want that tiny Tardis.

I saw one, somewhere years ago, and still have not been able to find it.

While not my fav's, the last 2 ep have been played out much better then they looked in ad's. Capaldi has played the Doctor the way I knew he would, but at least they have written the part to fit him. I know it may sound a bit stupid, but under Moffet writing/leadership both DT & MS Doctors seemed to have more in common then any other Doctors have ever had, and I was really worried about Capaldi being this way, while the writing kept the same way.

I am confused. I thought Clara was leaving during this season. Then had an ep about her leaving and she stayed, and we only have a few left this year. IF they...well not really wanting any spoilers but if they are doing the will she/won't she thing, its stupid. and they still have the Missy thing to deal, which should be more then one ep.

For some Doctor Who Merchandise. There is one of my all time favourite online store. ThinkGeek Tiny Tardis stuff galore. Oh did you see that Dalek plushie. Little huggable creature of hate.

Going to this online store is so dangerous.

I am confused. I thought Clara was leaving during this season. Then had an ep about her leaving and she stayed, and we only have a few left this year. IF they...well not really wanting any spoilers but if they are doing the will she/won't she thing, its stupid. and they still have the Missy thing to deal, which should be more then one ep.

I felt like in the last few episodes there were some potential companion replacements. Almost like the Doctor knows his time with Clara is almost up. (well she did tell him to get lost). That's the feeling I got. We are being transitioned. I don't mind Clara, but she isn't my favourite companion. I welcome a change. A better fit for the new Capaldi Doctor

For some Doctor Who Merchandise. There is one of my all time favourite online store. ThinkGeek Tiny Tardis stuff galore. Oh did you see that Dalek plushie. Little huggable creature of hate.

Going to this online store is so dangerous.

My 3 year old son has a talking plush dalek that he sleeps with. His little face lights up every time it says "Exterminate! Exterminate!"

I'm actually glad they didn't go the "they're just misunderstood" route, especially since we kind of just had that with Mummy. And with Listen. Sometimes the aliens really do want to take over!

Archived