The Dragon's Mercy: The Violent Future Path of Daenerys Targaryen

BryndenBFish

Was thinking about Dany's fate recently and also how the Faceless Men tie in to the big picture.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Queen of Dragons, whose mission has been to abolish slavery, is murdered by the Faceless Men who are looking to protect the world from (Valyrian) slavery?

I believe the Faceless Men are plotting to get rid of the dragons. After all, they were founded by slaves in the pre-Doom mines who killed their Valyrian masters. Dictatorship by Dragon has not exactly been kind to the world. Tyrion explains in one chapter that the only surviving copy of "The Death of Dragons" by Septon Barth resides in the locked vaults of the Citadel. Jaqen D'Hagar's mission could be to retrieve that book to learn the secrets of killing dragons. He'd previously got himself locked up in the Black Cells at Kings Landing to infiltrate the Nightswatch — perhaps to explore the Library at Castle Black — that plan went awry when the Black-Brothers-to-be got in the way of the Lannisters' burning and pillaging.

I don't think the FM are what they appear to be. This is my take on the FM.

I don't think the FM are what they appear to be. This is my take on the FM.

Yes, I agree with much of your theory.

I believe there are strong connections between the Iron Bank and Faceless Men, as well as the Citadel potentially.

As the World (of Ice and Fire) is developing these organisations are seeking stability and a global economy.

The Iron Bank maybe seeks to dominate the whole world with everyone indebted to it. Their muscle is the Faceless Men and their preachers are the maesters out of the Citadel.

Magic and Dragons are not good for business

Part 3 is great as all your other work.As I have seen for now the influences mentioned are:Ironborn,Moqorro,Dothraki and Marwyin.What about Tyrion and Jorah?Even if Marwyin respects and practices magic he still represents the Faith, so his advice will be opposite to Moqorro's.And from Quaithe's prophecy she will mistrust Moqorro.So I don't see her to believe to Rhlor.

Very eloquently written, wtih insight and a discerning mind. A good read and i must say that i agree up to a point about some of your conclusions. However i do have some minor squabbles and a bigger one.

The minor ones are that: Up till now, analyzing the people who will try to shape Dany, you have not mentioned Tyrion, who we all know will play an important role in shaping Dany's future, as much as she will play shaping his.

Also in your analysis of the dual nature of Dany, you do not seem to take into account how these two facets came about, meaning how Dany grew up. The fact that she was a victim -of fate and others- for the most part growing up, and its later pairing with the realization of power and significance, was almost bound to lead to the creation of a dynamic personality with an affinity towards helping and protecting those in need, while at the same time being overtly harsh -rightly so, some would say- on anyone who is perceived to have done wrong. Maybe you take that as a given, however i did not think it was obvious from what i read.

My big gripes with your analysis, are the following:

You write of Dany's potential turn as a villain, however i am almost entirely certain that Dany will never be portrayed as a villain. I mean that up till now in the five books the only villainous characters we have met are Ramsay Bolton (by far), Joffrey, the Masters (for the crucifying of 163 children) and the White walkers. Most of everyone else is written as a person with both flaws and strengths, capable of performing actions that are perceived good and bad (others leaning more towards one than the other). For that reason Dany will never truly be a villainous figure. Unless of course you also consider Aegon the conqueror a villainous figure.

Also you write about the two facets of Dany being at war with one another and one winning over the other at certain times. I do not believe that one ever truly wins over the other. For even when Dany is in a mother of Dragons mode, her actions are still tampered by the Mysha character and vice versa. One can not be separated from the other because they are who Dany is. Dany could possibly decide to do a morally ambiguous (by her standards) action in Mother of dragons mode, however that decision will stem from the Mysha facet of her character which wants to protect those that need it and leave the world a better place (as she considers it). And that is why i believe she is one of the fan favorite characters and one of the most powerful ones in the story. Because these two facets exist at the same time and influence one another.

Ultimately i believe that Dany can not be considered a villain (even in the future), because if she were to prevail (by any means necessary- as Aegon once did) the world of Westeros would probably be a better place for it. Such characters are better judged by history.

“Daario might piss on us if we were burning. Elsewise do not look to him for help. Let the Stormcrows choose another captain, one who knows his place. If the queen does not return, the world will be one sellsword short. Who will grieve?”

“And when she does return?”

“She will weep and tear her hair and curse the Yunkai’i. Not us. No blood on our hands. You can comfort her. Tell her some tale of the old days, she likes those. Poor Daario, her brave captain … she will never forget him, no … but better for all of us if he is dead, yes? Better for Daenerys too.”

This is why, if Shavepate will use this opportunity to get rid of rival Great Masters, he will not have blood in his own hands. He will have some independent person do the killings and take the risk of Dany's possible wrath. Victarion fits this profile.

• 2 months later...

At very long last, part 4 of The Dragon's Mercy is finally complete. This one is entitled "The Embers of Essos." In it, you'll find speculative analysis on:

• The role of the Tattered Prince in Dany's arc in TWOW
  • Tyrion Lannister's fateful impact on Dany's fire and blood campaign across Essos
  • The sack of Yunkai
  • The Slave Revolt of Volantis and the Coming Siege of the Inner City of Volantis
  • The Cruel Fate that Awaits Pentos
  • A prediction on Dany's final chapter in TWOW and where she'll end up at the very end of The Winds of Winter.

I've attempted to keep the analysis closely tied to some of the foreshadowing that GRRM has written into his stories. I really hope you enjoy this part has been a long time coming. I started writing it around May 2014, and it's a year later. Enjoy!

• 6 months later...

To Brynden,

I read your essay series, and I found it very interesting. However, you forgot to mention who you think will end up sitting on the Iron Throne. If Daenerys turns into a villain, she will kill Stannis and Aegon. There is no way the Lannisters will be able to keep the throne. And I personally can't buy Jon Snow taking the throne. He doesn't want it. So who will rule Westeros when the series has ended. The only other candidate I can think of is Sansa Stark, and she has no claim, unless she were to marry another claimant.

Archived