I don't understand the love for Erikson/Malazan

Ser Daxos

Yeah, not as quality as some other posts, but if you can just get through this one, it'll get better the next time. Promise.

:lmao: don't apologise, "King of High House Goblin" has brought actual tears to my eyes.

I agree with pretty much everything you've posted so far (except I didn't really like Malazan that much ;)).

It's just that I didn't see a single reason to get so bent out of shape over some random guy's thoughts on the internet.

You can join any club you want, I don't see a reason why you'd be asking my permission ;)

Wasn't asking your permission, just a joke. But, I do see a reason to get pissesd off when someone questions my intelligence with a misuse of grammar. You know the reasons why, I stated so in my reply to you.

I'm not good enough to do it, but it would be great to have this thread summed up in the voice of Kruppe

Empathetic, exaggerated and humorous purple prose with a gleam in the eye? I am sure someone here could handle that. I'm tempted to try, but don't have time today as my children have various activities.

• 2 weeks later...

I admit that when you strongly dislike something that you feel is highly overrated you may be inclined to use hyperbole in conveying your disgust, but said ridiculous hyperbole should make the whole post very easy to shoot down then shouldn't it? I am legitimately curious as to why this series is ranked so high by some people and I'm completely serious about everything that I said even if it might come across as "ridiculous hyperbole" to you. That is how I feel about Erickson and Gardens of the Moon. Perhaps if I didn't feel it was so hugely overrated, I might have written a less scathing review of it, but I am thoroughly confused and perplexed by those who consider it one of the greatest in the genre.

It has the best action scenes in literature, in my opinion. The first half of the first book is a boring clutter of insanity, but the second half is good and the ending is great. The second book, having been written 8 or 9 years later is way better than the first. The writing is better, the plot is better, the action is better... The third book again improves on the second one. As many people have already said you can't judge Malazan by the first book. I had a real struggle getting through the first half of the first book (I was honestly thinking about reading the plot online and giving up reading the series) but finished it in the end and loved the rest of the books.

I completely agree I thought it was terrible, the characters seemed wooden, the prose was seriously bad, it reads like exactly what it is an over indulgent rpg wet dream, I didn't think it was even that complex which some people praise it for, and yeah I do think you can judge a series by the first book, if you don't like the first book you are not going to spend all that time, money and effort to slog your way through the rest

I completely agree I thought it was terrible, the characters seemed wooden, the prose was seriously bad, it reads like exactly what it is an over indulgent rpg wet dream, I didn't think it was even that complex which some people praise it for, and yeah I do think you can judge a series by the first book, if you don't like the first book you are not going to spend all that time, money and effort to slog your way through the rest

It is inspired by some table top game Erikson and his buddy created.

These guys formed an Empire 100 years ago then this other girl killed them and changed her name because she now rules Empire. Original guys only pretend to be dead and instead travel through a magical realm that allows them to have god like powers and go anywhere really quickly. There is a guy who broods with a big sword filled with angst. A guy called Traveller because he likes to travel and also has angst. Dinosaurs who may or may not have opposable thumbs. A God who is considered evil and does evil things but the good guys want to help because they're good. A race that are bendable like Stretch Armstrong. A fat person who rides a donkey.

Not complicated at all.

Archived