Early Theories Since Disproved

Ser Cold Fingers

Yes, certainly. Although you wouldn't believe it when you read one of those 'when did you start liking Stannis' threads. They are full of people who claim that they loved the Stanman with a passion from day one. As if somehow, you can only be a Stannatic if you loved him from the get go. Stannis wasn't an amiable man in ACOK and early ASOS. Perfectly logical not to like him then. The end of ASOS and then his fantastic presence in ADWD and Theon's sample chapter for tWoW (one of the best chapters GRRM has written to be sure, even anti-Stans must admit) turned many to his side.

Initially I hated Stannis, I kinda blamed him for Ned's death. Although that's probably not fair.

I respected him for the "peach" monologue. Gave a bit of depth to him. His reaction to the loss at the black water and his respect for Davos mean I can never really dislike him.

I didn't like him until I watched the show. "...and then the cats, never liked cats, so fine. I do like dogs, good animals, loyal, but fine we ate them....".

Jojenpaste is more dead now than it ever was. If Jojen death had such a specific role (being ground into paste to awake Bran's powers), he wouldn't have been blown into smithereens. Apart from the fact that it was always bullshit, because no way would all this drama happen of stage.

The only thing the show has confirmed is that Jojen will die. I don't think many people who opposed Jojenpaste thought Jojen was in the running for a happy ever after ending, so nobody has seen his alternative theory going to waste. I believe we'll see Jojen die on page, in tWoW.

The Jojenpaste theory is based on things that happened in the last Bran chapter of the most recently published book, so it's certainly not an early theory. As for being disproven, I don't think the show's depiction makes a difference either way.

I just did a Google search with the search dates that predate AFfC.

Then searched ASOIAF Theories.

So apparently the R+L=J has been around a LOOONNNG time.

Here are some I read.

• That Ned was still alive and Varys put a pretender in his place and is hiding Ned
  • Arya will end up with Daenerys
  • Sam becomes a great warrior similar to how Rhaegar was first booksmart then one day decided he needed to become a warrior

I suppose this is part of the whole "Sam is Rhaegar's son" theory.

Well, he and Jon appear to have been born at just about the same time.

He's sent to the Wall just after his 15th nameday, and Jon's up there and his 15th passes without Benjen being back for it the way he was supposed to have been.

Well, he and Jon appear to have been born at just about the same time.

He's sent to the Wall just after his 15th nameday, and Jon's up there and his 15th passes without Benjen being back for it the way he was supposed to have been.

And a book later it is specifically stated that Sam is older than Jon.. while Sam had already turend 16, Jon is still 15..

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know, that didn't happen. He did say a few people have worked out some of the major points, but nothing about changing the ending or about any one person having figured out the whole thing.

Quite so. He said he'd be cheating if he altered the endings, simply because some readers had figured them out.

The Black hawk was a master in these kind of threads XD

My favourite absurd theories are:-

1. Dany is an allegory for Jesus Christ.

2. Dany is the child of Rhaegar and Rhaella.

3. Sansa is LF's daughter, after he rode to Winterfell, drugged Catelyn and raped her.

Archived