Arrow Season 3 (Spoilers)

Lol

is this a spoiler thread?

Going to assume it's a spoiler thread. Here's a buffer though:

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Damn I was hoping Sarah would stick around, but I suppose this was kinda inevitable since the showrunners want Laurel to be BC.

Still don't see the Felicity/Oliver thing, felt forced. Diggle having a daughter is interesting though, at least it helps to explain why he isn't in the field with Ollie & Roy.

Curious what Thea is up to.

Oh god, once again they're bringing up the 'it's not you, it's my enemies' excuse. Give me a break Oliver, you've loved Felicity for years and it's mutual (unlike that full retard Slade/Shado nonsense). You worked together for years and yes she's been in danger a couple of times, it's part of the job, didn't make you any less effective.

Double surprise for me seeing Sarah back and then seeing her killed. I enjoyed that but shame about the loss of the character.

The episode was pretty good. Ray Palmer actually has a better plan for the company and the city so besides Olly having no cash (which I get the impression he must have for their lives to work) it's a nice development.

Laurel was actually tolerable too.

Didn't like the contrived "hey, I only reminisce 5 years after the event, so you know, all of a sudden I'm reminded of the shit that went down in hong kong even though it could have been just as relevant to stuff that happened on the show 2 years ago". I also hated the coy "Hong Kong for one". The writers aren't tying themselves down too much by saying "and Russia" and it would have been fun to throw some other random place in eg "the moon, medieval england (robin Hood), Avengers Mansion" just to have us all wondering how he got there.

I don't have a problem with the relationship - I have a problem with the hackneyed "I can't BE with you" BS. The weird thing is that Felicity and Sarah call him out on this being BS meaning the writers know it's a bad idea. I wonder if CW imposes "tragic relationships" like HBO does "boobs" on the writers? I just hope they do something more original because unfortunately it looks like they'll go headlong into a "jilted Felcity shacks up with Ray Palmer only for Olly to get jealous and Felicity go all "you had your chance", etc etc"

Overall, it was OK. Agree with the hate of the 'it's not you, it's my enemies' riff. Still...

- More trick arrows! Yay!

- Go Roy! That was some fast development wasn't it?

- Yay! Canary! ... Aw, damn.

- Cops legitimize "Arrow". Yay! Wait... what?

And does the baby officially mean Diggle will be more out of the picture now? :(

Overall, it was OK. Agree with the hate of the 'it's not you, it's my enemies' riff. Still...

- More trick arrows! Yay!

- Go Roy! That was some fast development wasn't it?

- Yay! Canary! ... Aw, damn.

- Cops legitimize "Arrow". Yay! Wait... what?

And does the baby officially mean Diggle will be more out of the picture now? :(

I was worried they were also writing Diggle out. Odd as he didn't do much at all last season but now he's being sidelined. At least there's an in-story reason if we don't see much of him. I'm hoping he's got more of an "office" role which would make sense now that Roy is in full sidekick mode. HAve to say Roy does look like a child sidekick in the costume alongside Arrow. He does have the benefit of being genuinely unrecognisable though.

Whether the episode's ending was handled badly...

I don't see it. I understand that Sara fans are going to be disappointed, but this was a great way to catapult into the season. For one, it doesn't matter when someone we don't care about dies. Hello, Game of Thrones. For two, this is a season opener, and ideally, something which will set up the season arc. The next episode is entitled "Sara," and we don't know the murderer as of yet.

Sara's death will have a huge impact on the entire cast. Whereas I felt Moira's death was a little ridiculous, Sara's death can go a long way in setting up a lot of great stuff, and I don't feel like there was necessarily anywhere left to go with her character. I felt like her reunion with Nyssa was her full circle last season.

Could she have been better integrated into the episode? Maybe. But, I think the quick appearance contributed to the shock of her death. It wasn't telegraphed, which I liked.

Yeah, that's a good point about Sara coming full circle last season. There wasn't anywhere new they could take the character, and unless they were going to kill someone else off having her around on Team Arrow might make things way too easy for them fighting the weekly bad guy.

I guess the issue I have is Sara basically carried last season for a bit there, and it's not clear Laurel is the right fit character-wise for the BC role.

Anyway, if Ras is the villain this season they can always throw the body in a Lazarus Pit.

RE: Whether the episode's ending was handled badly...

I don't see it. I understand that Sara fans are going to be disappointed, but this was a great way to catapult into the season. For one, it doesn't matter when someone we don't care about dies. Hello, Game of Thrones. For two, this is a season opener, and ideally, something which will set up the season arc. The next episode is entitled "Sara," and we don't know the murderer as of yet.

Sara's death will have a huge impact on the entire cast. Whereas I felt Moira's death was a little ridiculous, Sara's death can go a long way in setting up a lot of great stuff, and I don't feel like there was necessarily anywhere left to go with her character. I felt like her reunion with Nyssa was her full circle last season.

Could she have been better integrated into the episode? Maybe. But, I think the quick appearance contributed to the shock of her death. It wasn't telegraphed, which I liked.

I do agree that, plot-wise, it's a good set up for the rest of the season. I am definitely coming at this from the Sara-was-probably-my-favorite-character viewpoint, but it was so abrupt, and we barely got to see her at all before she died. It is just such a shame, because I don't feel like I really got to say "goodbye" to her character--there was no moment like that, whereas the episode of Moira's death felt more like a proper send-off to a main character.

Anyway, if Ras is the villain this season they can always throw the body in a Lazarus Pit.

Seems like the League has got to be (i.e. should be) the season arc this season, what with Sara's death, how Nyssa will react to it, and the casting of Ra's and reappearance of Merlyn.

And, let me just say, I look forward to seeing one royally pissed off Nyssa make a reappearance. And, considering they weren't afraid to cast Ra's, I'm hoping Talia makes an appearance at some point.

I do agree that, plot-wise, it's a good set up for the rest of the season. I am definitely coming at this from the Sara-was-probably-my-favorite-character viewpoint, but it was so abrupt, and we barely got to see her at all before she died. It is just such a shame, because I don't feel like I really got to say "goodbye" to her character--there was no moment like that, whereas the episode of Moira's death felt more like a proper send-off to a main character.

I definitely enjoyed her as well and felt like Lotz was the female version of Amell, in that she really captured the physicality of the role. I'm putting faith in the show's ability to fill the void, I guess. I thought Rila Fukushima was great in Wolverine, and Katana could end up filling Sara's role nicely as the resident female ass-kicker.

I definitely enjoyed her as well and felt like Lotz was the female version of Amell, in that she really captured the physicality of the role. I'm putting faith in the show's ability to fill the void, I guess. I thought Rila Fukushima was great in Wolverine, and Katana could end up filling Sara's role nicely as the resident female ass-kicker.

Is she the wife of the man from Hong Kong, who spoke Japanese? Will she be showing up in the present at all?

Did we need yet another Arrow thread?

The killing was abrupt, brutal, and until I saw it, I was prepared to dismiss it as a ploy. I could have sworn I read we'd be seeing more of Lotz this season.

It may very well be a good move for the plot, but it will be a bad move in the end. Whether they intended it or not, trying to create a set up to bring Laurel to the Canary mask, they put a better character on screen than Laurel ever will be. I hope that there is a twist, even the lazurus pit...

And the killer is Thea.

Killing off the Canary is --IMO-- not a great idea... its so final, when she just as easily had her absence explained as being elsewhere... I'm not a DC guy, but doesn't she interact with the greater DC universe? ... seems kind of short sighted.... but then again, people come back from the dead all the time in comics LOL

Killing off the Canary is --IMO-- not a great idea... its so final, when she just as easily had her absence explained as being elsewhere... I'm not a DC guy, but doesn't she interact with the greater DC universe? ... seems kind of short sighted.... but then again, people come back from the dead all the time in comics LOL

Except the show Canary isn't the comics Canary. The show is trying to get to the comics Canary. Except the actress playing Laurel is horrible and not near as good as Lotz...

I was really hoping they'd kill off Laurel and have Sara as a regular. Pretty disappointed. This show just barely holds my attention as it is, more Laurel is going to seriously endanger my interest unless there are major changes. And if they intend to dwell on the Oliver/Felicity stuff... hard to say I'll keep watching much longer.

Is she the wife of the man from Hong Kong, who spoke Japanse? Will she be showing up in the present at all?

Correct. I'm assuming she will show up in the present. She's an interesting character. She has a sword which traps the souls of those it kills. Her husband being one. For awhile, they played with the idea of ambiguity -- not revealing whether it was true or she was just batshit crazy.

I think this one is being used as the spoiler thread.

It isn't shortsighted if you're using the comics as a guideline. Laurel is technically the "real" Black Canary, hence why everyone always assumed Sara would die at some point, and this would be the catalyst for Laurel's donning of the fishnets.

I really don't think Katie Cassidy is any less an actress than Lotz. Lotz benefitted from not having to deal with the baggage the writers heaped on Cassidy's character since season 1. The thing Lotz had over Cassidy was the physicality. We'll see how motivated Cassidy will be to followup in the role.

And, really, it's not a bad arc. If they rush it, then yes, it's hard to believe Laurel can become a superhero by the end of the season, but the whole disillusioned lawyer, with the cop father and dead assassin sister, deciding to take the law into her own hands -- especially with Green Arrow as a model and her sister as her totem -- is classic comics.

I think this one is being used as the spoiler thread.

It isn't shortsighted if you're using the comics as a guideline. Laurel is technically the "real" Black Canary, hence why everyone always assumed Sara would die at some point, and this would be the catalyst for Laurel's donning of the fishnets.

I really don't think Katie Cassidy is any less an actress than Lotz. Lotz benefitted from not having to deal with the baggage the writers heaped on Cassidy's character since season 1. The thing Lotz had over Cassidy was the physicality. We'll see how motivated Cassidy will be to followup in the role.

And, really, it's not a bad arc. If they rush it, then yes, it's hard to believe Laurel can become a superhero by the end of the season, but the whole disillusioned lawyer, with the cop father and dead assassin sister, deciding to take the law into her own hands -- especially with Green Arrow as a

I think they should just be done with the Canary, the team is big enough, and it would seem far fetched for yet another character to have their mythical training montage to elite ass kicker (Thea, Roy, etc)

The killing was abrupt, brutal, and until I saw it, I was prepared to dismiss it as a ploy. I could have sworn I read we'd be seeing more of Lotz this season.

It may very well be a good move for the plot, but it will be a bad move in the end. Whether they intended it or not, trying to create a set up to bring Laurel to the Canary mask, they put a better character on screen than Laurel ever will be. I hope that there is a twist, even the lazurus pit...

And the killer is Thea.

Now there's an interesting theory. I can totally see it. It sets up exactly the kind of drama that the CW will love. A man on a path of vengeance, and then oops, the person he swore to kill in revenge turns out to be his lil' sis. Awkward. Plus, it plays well with the "Thea is in Melfi (or wherever)" drop we had earlier in the episode. No, she wasn't in Melfi, she was planning how to murder Sara!

I will cross my fingers and sacrifice to the old gods and the new in hopes that Caity Lotz and Katrina Law get a prequel spinoff.

Archived