Football 124: Another year, another Arsenal injury crisis

Mexal

We all know Mesut Ozil is out 3 months but how about Laurent Koscielny being sent home by France due to chronic tendinitis in both his achilles tendons. Losing a defender was my biggest nightmare since we barely have any senior defenders left. It looks like Koscielny can probably play on it, but he'll be less effective and risk damaging it significantly. Isaac Hayden time?

I'm assuming plenty of rest is what he should be getting as the first step, it's a problem that is long standing, the good thing is we don't play until next weekend so the medical team have ample amount of time to figure out a management plan for him.

I was just about to start this thread and call it something about Arsenal players going to the glue factory.

Koscielny's achilles problem doesn't sound like something to get too worried about yet... Precautionary rather than season ending at this point.

John Stones is out for three months though which is so terribly unlucky for Everton

I'm assuming plenty of rest is what he should be getting as the first step, it's a problem that is long standing, the good thing is we don't play until next weekend so the medical team have ample amount of time to figure out a management plan for him.

Yea, I think it can be managed. The issue really is that there isn't any cover for Koscielny so if he continues to play 2-3 games a week, he's likely to continue to aggravate it even more. Wenger really needs to use Hayden in the coming weeks to ensure Koscielny doesn't hit the training table for a few months.

I was just about to start this thread and call it something about Arsenal players going to the glue factory.

Koscielny's achilles problem doesn't sound like something to get too worried about yet... Precautionary rather than season ending at this point.

John Stones is out for three months though which is so terribly unlucky for Everton

Stones is a huge loss for Everton. That really blows.

Yeah, I'm going off the top of my head but rest + pain relief is what's generally advised unless you've got long-standing pain associated with the tendon. Need to get through the next 10 or so weeks, at least after that we have the option of looking for a player to cover that position.

Everton seem to have plenty injured too it seems, at least the few everton fans I follow seem to think so.

Stuart Brennan from the MEN confirms that the winners of Europe's top 7 leagues plus the holders go into Pot 1 of the Champion's League next year, as it fucking should be. That's a real step towards making the competition fairer. Too late for City this year but will benefit us in the future. It's just a rule which makes perfect sense.

ETA: Spelling

ETA2: For reference, that would mean that this year Barcelona, Chelsea, Arsenal and Porto would not have been in Pot 1 in favour of teams who were actually Champions of their respective leagues and didn't get in via, for instance, the play offs again.

Stuart Brennan from the MEN confirms that the winners of Europe's top 7 leagues plus the holders go into Pot 1 of the Champion's League next year, as it fucking should be. That's a real step towards making the competition fairer. Too late for City this year but will benefit us in the future. It's just a rule which makes perfect sense.

ETA: Spelling

ETA2: For reference, that would mean that this year Barcelona, Chelsea, Arsenal and Porto would not have been in Pot 1 in favour of teams who were actually Champions of their respective leagues and didn't get in via, for instance, the play offs again.

So you're saying Barcelona and Chelsea were less deserving of being seeds than the likes of City, Juventus and CSKA Moscow? Really?

This year? Yes, because we qualified as Premier League Champions, so should have been given preference in the Champion's League.

The coefficient system keeps the same teams in Pot 1 to get easier draws, and hence they have a greater chance of getting through every year, thereby increasing their coefficient so they get an easy draw the next season and so on and so forth, regardless of how they get in. Apologies to Raja and Mexal, but the obvious case is Arsenal who qualify in third of fourth place/through the play offs every year and get to be in Pot 1 basically forever despite not having been Champions of anything outside of the Emirates Cup for over a decade.

No one can argue that's fair, surely? It's not just me saying it btw. I'm not some maverick throwing this out there alone.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. One can argue about Arsenal, but that means every year either Barcelona or Real Madrid, and possibly Chelsea and (if they manage to lose the Bundesliga one year, which is looking increasingly unlikely) Bayern will be second seeds while underachievers in Europe like Juventus and City and whoever wins Russia are first seeded.

This same system is used here in South America for the Libertadores and the results are teams from the likes of Bolivia, Peru and Venezuela end up getting top seeds and groups with 2nd tier teams while there others full of with stronger teams that could challenge for the title if they get got out of the group.

The system is adopted here despite everyone knowing it's ridiculous because Conmebol is deeply corrupt and just wants to please the voters, and in case UEFA adopted it would be only for the same reason.

Emirates Glue-All?

Were I not phone-posting from a meeting, I'd Photoshop it myself.

Teng Ai Hui:

What does the SC stand for? At first, I thought it meant South Carolina. (Then I remembered it's Columbia, SC and Columbus, Ohio.) Does it mean soccer club?

Yes, it's Soccer Club.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. One can argue about Arsenal, but that means every year either Barcelona or Real Madrid, and possibly Chelsea and (if they manage to lose the Bundesliga one year, which is looking increasingly unlikely) Bayern will be second seeds while underachievers in Europe like Juventus and City and whoever wins Russia are first seeded.

This same system is used here in South America for the Libertadores and the results are teams from the likes of Bolivia, Peru and Venezuela end up getting top seeds and groups with 2nd tier teams while there others full of with stronger teams that could challenge for the title if they get got out of the group.

The system is adopted here despite everyone knowing it's ridiculous because Conmebol is deeply corrupt and just wants to please the voters, and in case UEFA adopted it would be only for the same reason.

Why do the teams you mention get an automatic free pass? If they're that much better then surely they will win their league titles and get into Pot 1? And if they're really that good then surely being in Pot 2 for one season won't hinder them?

I am constantly amazed at football fans general enthusiasm for defending the established aristocracy of the game. No one has a god given right to be on top forever and arguing that they do goes against the meritocratic principles football was founded on. And hey, maybe these "underachieving" clubs (who have proven themselves to be the best teams in their respective countries) might do better if they are given a fairer throw of the dice? Crazy idea, I know

ETA: Spelling again, *sigh*

It would give more incentive to clubs to compete for the national title instead of "making it to Champions' League is a trophy" mentality we have nowadays.

I'd like to see the good-old-boys club shaken up a bit and not have second/third/fourth-placed teams from big leagues basically coast through group stages.

Group D (Dortmund, Arsenal, Galatasaray, Anderlecht) illustrates the point perfectly - Arsenal and Dortmund not getting through would be a sensation!

On the other hand, Group E (Bayern, City, Roma, CSKA Moscow) is more like it! Every club must go all out in each game to go through or even make it to the Europa League.

I agree with making it champions-in-pot-1.

Because not being in it will have ravaged our coefficient, especially since it was already being propped up by strong performances a few years ago over weaker ones more recently, but then next year we'll be right back as top seeds again.

I agree with making it champions-in-pot-1.

Because not being in it will have ravaged our coefficient, especially since it was already being propped up by strong performances a few years ago over weaker ones more recently, but then next year we'll be right back as top seeds again.

That's the spirit!

Archived