Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfus

Howdyphillip

Fun book.

Having just read it, have some questions or rather just thoughts,

It seems somewhat clear that Auri was sexually assaulted or raped based on one of her descriptions about a hand on a wrist and the smell of wine on breath. It helps explain her fractured state.

The ending seemed to be a nice foreshadowing (maybe) of her helping "rename" Kvothe (Kote).

Having had bad experience with my local bookstore with regards to release day availability, I pre-ordered from Amazon with shipping taking two weeks from release date because foreigners don't get release day delivery. I just checked the online store of my local bookstore and it is available. :crying:

On the bright side, I got the pre-order price and it is cheaper even with currency exchange and shipping charges. Also, The World of Ice and Fire which I ordered together is still not available locally. Yet.

So, I saw this thread and got really excited. I thought it was about the third book coming out. Shoulda known better. I quit following and reading anything about Rothfuss in social media probably a year ago when I realized he was doing all these side projects and there was never any hint at when the third book would be out.

Is that still the case? Or is this a precursor to something happening with the final Kingkiller book?

ETA: So I actually just looked into buying this. Stupid me. $10 for ~150 pages? No thanks. My scorn for Rothfuss has reached new depths.

OJ -

The back story behind the existence of this one is that it started as a short story for an anthology. But it got too big. So something else was written for the anthology. And then he decided* to finish this and was going to sell it to a small publishing house. But then his main editor liked it so it got published.

*My guess here is that this decision was made because writing this novella was fun, while finishing book 3 (with all the expectations and stress that come with it) is work. I don't love the decision Pat made, but I can understand why he did it.

Is that still the case? Or is this a precursor to something happening with the final Kingkiller book?

Word from the first three tour dates is that DAW asked him to focus on DoS. They had planned to publish Laniel's Tale next, but that's changed. According to one (and only one, so) attendee, he used the phrase "a year and change to get it ready." So the earliest we can expect it is mid 2016.

You know, it's been so long since I thought about Kingkiller, I had forgotten that the title of the last book is Doors of Stone.

So, about the price point of this book. I don't buy novellas, so I really don't have much frame of reference. But, $10 for an ebook that is ~150 pages? That seems exorbitant to me. Is that standard practice for the price of a novella, or is this a blatant money grab by a popular author?

You know, it's been so long since I thought about Kingkiller, I had forgotten that the title of the last book is Doors of Stone.

So, about the price point of this book. I don't buy novellas, so I really don't have much frame of reference. But, $10 for an ebook that is ~150 pages? That seems exorbitant to me. Is that standard practice for the price of a novella, or is this a blatant money grab by a popular author?

I buy a lot of short fiction (short story,novella's etc.) in ebook format and they are def. cheaper than novel length works.So, blatant money grab.

Could. Not. Finish. It's a vignette, not a story. Vignettes should not be 176 pages long, especially given the fact that I think that "vignette" is French for "No plot". Still looking forward to book 3, but man that was painful.

Not by the author, though. The publisher, certainly.

The year and change comnent has been confirmed snd revised with the addition of "at least" last night. So it's basically what I've been reporting for a couple years. Expect 2017, enjoy 2016.

Rothfuss is in that weird Martin-like position where there is a clearly a demand for anything he writes, but at the same time plenty of fans will have certain expectations of his work. I assume he breached his stringent no-spoiler policy for this book because he felt he didn't want to mislead readers about the story.

That said, I think this book is for those readers of the Kingkiller Chronicles who realise that Rothfuss' books are like icebergs and long to see the hidden portions.

Well, there is im talking about his female characters cup size on reddit, his hot women of fantasy calender thing he does, plus, uh, did you read WMF?

Not that I expect every discussion ever to have well cited background information in every post, but I've seen a lot of unsupported feces flinging in topics that caught my eye lately. I mean, I'd like it, y'know, a lot. But this post runs from legitimate concern to addressed issue to silly solid waste.

Cup size:

Worldbuilders 2013 AMA

[–]sciencedogheh 160 points

9 months ago

What is Fela's cup size?

For uh, science.

give gold

[–]PRothfussAMA Author[S] 180 points

9 months ago

Probably a generous C. Perhaps a D.

parent

give gold

[–]SchreckstoffScares 82 points

9 months ago

/u/PRothfuss answering the only questions that matter.

parent

give gold

[–]PRothfussAMA Author[S] 107 points

9 months ago

Well... they did say it was for science. I'm a big fan of... science.

Justin Landon, of Staffer's Book Review and Rocket Talk called him on it on twitter (still looking) and SBR and received generally positive responses. Liz Bourke, Tor.com writer, also of Rocket Talk, and 2014 Hugo nominee, took the opportunity to praise the SRB piece as exemplary of male allyship. A minor flurry of discussion whirled about for a few days.

The takeaways are that Pat was probably playing to his momentary audience which was successful given the number of upvotes and that, even so, it's incommensurate with the feminist persona he occasionally trades on. It's also the most recent (more on that in a sec) in a long line of microaggressions which, in aggregate, support critics highlighting sexism inherent across his output fictional and nonfictional.

The Calendar:

DRII is referring to this and this, from Worldbuilders 2011 and 2012. There wasn't one for 2013 and there will never be another one. He made a point of calling them sexist at appearances, in interviews ("We decided to leave the whole pin-up thing behind. It wasn’t a good fit with our charity. Too sexist."), and apparently even at relatively informal gatherings that weren't supposed to be filmed ("It's sexist and that made me uncomfortable.") He ran damage control during Worldbuilders 2012 with an interview featuring comments from the female authors who participated. A few months later, he'd parted ways with Lee Moyers and decried the whole thing as a mistake.

Have you read WMF?

I think so. That's the albedo of The Kingkiller Chronicle with the thousand page ring structure, right? We may have had a few discussions about it and the representations of women within it around here. I can't remember. What I can remember is an ultimately ambivalent depiction of women unfortunately seen through a chauvinist teenage murderer's eyes. The Felurian section draws on a long tradition surrounding a particular inhabitant of fairyland. When situated within this tradition and taken in the context of the novel, it's not in the least excessive.

As for the depiction of Auri in The Slow Regard of Silent Things, I can't figure out why it's "creepy bullshit."

Archived