Is Quaithe Shiera Seastar?

Today, I was struck by the sudden realization that Quaithe is serving as a guide for Dany to in the South in same sense that Bloodraven is serving as a guide for Bran in the North. To add to this, Dany is a representative of the Targaryens (fire), while Bran is a representaitve of the Starks (ice). It would seem very strange to me if Dany and Bran's guides had no previous relationship with each other and just happened to decide to appear out of nowhere around the same time and help two underdog children become more powerful. We know that besides being half-siblings, Shiera and Bloodraven were also lovers. It would make sense to me if Shiera decided to guide Dany in the South because of her ties to Lys, while Bloodraven decided to help Bran in the North because of his ties to the Night's Watch, knowing full well what these children were destined to do from the days Dany and Bran were born. No matter who Quaithe is, she has definitely dabbled in the dark arts, and Shiera Seastar was known to be proficient in the dark arts.

Quaithe is hiding her face from something, and I'm assuming it's not because she wants to appear more mysterious. Surely wearing a wooden mask like she does all day must get very uncomfortable, especially considering Qarth seems to have the Westerosi equivalent of a Mediterranean climate, similar to what you would find in Southern Spain and Italy. Wearing even a light mask in that sort of climate would make it hard to breathe and leave you sweating after a while. I'm assuming she is hiding her face either because her face is disfigured or because her physical appearance was so legendary in her day that people would still recognize her, even though her being alive would mean she is around 120 years old. Her appearance was so legendary that poems were written about it:

"Duels were fought over the right to sit beside her, men killed themselves after falling from her favor, poets outdid each other writing songs about her beauty."

Quaithe has demonstrated extensive knowledge of Westerosi culture and speaks the Common Tongue flawlessly, which could be explained by her having lived there before as Shiera Seastar. Even well-traveled foreigners who come into contact with Westerosi on a frequent basis and speak the Common Tongue well enough, such as ship captains, usually are described as having a Braavosi accent, Tyroshi accent, etc.

Queen Alysanne provided a great breakdown of Quaithe's name in a previous post:

"Well I tried to break up the word Quaithe and I found some interesting clues.

Quai is a french word for dock, it also is an english word Quay meaning the same thing

-aithe is similar to the english word staithe which also means dock.

Docks are what ships connect to unload or load from land or unto land, perhaps the dock that unloads.

Now join the two together- Quay and staithe and you get Quaithe.

Docks are on sea which is another connection to shiera aka "seastar".

Perhaps the figurative dock that removes Dany from Essos and lands her on Westeros."

Some people have suggested that Quaithe has dark motives, but I believe that whoever she is, she wants to see Dany succeed, just like Bloodraven wants to see Bran succeed.

im a fan of the bloodraven + shiera = melisandre theory that was floating around awhile ago. it'd be interesting if quaithe turned out to be shiera, and how the future would play out if BOTH these theories were accurate

That certain seems plausible. But BR is so old. I felt like the only think keeping him alive were the trees. What is keeping Quaithe alive?

is bloodraven alive? is he?

im a conspiracy theorist unfortuantely, i think the same magic keeping the undead out, is whats keeping him IN (he is in fact, "trapped," on that throne of weirwood, isnt he?), that the barrier around the cave is imprisoning him there. i mean he's a corpse, blatantly, right there.

quaithe? hmm. quaithe would have to be old. and this is only if we take amoment to speculate quaithe IS shiera. the theory works if shiera is dead, but if she were alive? hmm.. how far do the powers of shadowbinding go?

is bloodraven alive? is he?

im a conspiracy theorist unfortuantely, i think the same magic keeping the undead out, is whats keeping him IN (he is in fact, "trapped," on that throne of weirwood, isnt he?), that the barrier around the cave is imprisoning him there. i mean he's a corpse, blatantly, right there.

quaithe? hmm. quaithe would have to be old. and this is only if we take amoment to speculate quaithe IS shiera. the theory works if shiera is dead, but if she were alive? hmm.. how far do the powers of shadowbinding go?

Egg tells Dunk how Shiera uses sorcery to keep herself young.

theres still that nagging feeling in me that quaithe is just danaerys' madness take form, and doesnt actually exist. danaerys wouldnt know about the glass candles though.

Let it go. Be free. Others were aware of Quaithe's presence.

the quartheen do in fact acknowledge her existence, yes.

Your answer leads to me believe that you either think the Qartheen are also fake or that Dany's "fake Quaithe" is projecting itself the Qartheens.

There is a lot of clues indicating Quaithe could be Shiera, but honestly, what the heck was she doing in Qarth?

Waiting for Dany? Like Bloodraven seems to be waiting for Bran.

Honestly, don't know. Maybe Quiathe saw the red comet and thought "ah yes. it is time!" Then came the news about the Mother of Dragons, so Quaithe set out with the other Qartheens to find Dany.

Jorah talked to her. The Dothraki saw her. She's real.

OP, Quaithe as Sheira is a real possibility. I also like the idea that she's Ashara Dayne. In either case she's hiding her eyes somehow (glamour, most likely).

I agree. Though, purple eyes wouldn't be as startling. There have been people who had them in living memory so your first instinct wouldn't be "Ashara Dayne!." But one green, one blue eye? That stands out quite a bit.

Quaithe's mask? Could it have weirwood as part of its structure? Rather than hiding her true identity, what if the mask is necessary as some form of healing? If Quaithe is Shiera, might she have burns, perhaps, from - wild guess - something to do with unsuccessfully hatching a dragon's egg.

There is another purpose the mask could be serving. Is it a way to connect with Bloodraven?

That certain seems plausible. But BR is so old. I felt like the only think keeping him alive were the trees. What is keeping Quaithe alive?

Im not really sure about Quaithe, but if Shiera is Quaithe, this might explain how. It has to do with the waif. There are also some new takes on Mel, Shiera and a few others.

Archived