So Abercrombie or Bakker?

Ghjhero

Hmm I probably will end up reading both. But you're saying the third trilogy will take 20 years later, so the second trilogy should end well since the time gap means it kind of has to?

I also keep hearing of Bakker's brutal tales, is he as bad as I've heard haha?

I've also heard Abercrombie has some additional books set in the same world as the FL. Are they worth reading as well?

Good point RE 20 years later. The characters stories should almost conclude along witht the objective of the second trilogy. I guess the "big" things may be left unresolved along with the "what next".

The additional books are the stand alones - I'll nip the question that never fails being asked right here. They are set after The first law trilogy. You should read them after TFL and read the stand alones in the order they were released (as the stories are chronological).

He has a YA series that is set in a different world but is classic Abercrombie but with a super slick pace.

The Prince of Nothing trilogy was a truly seminal work of modern fantasy, however, I would go with Abercrombie first. As others have noted, it is a much smaller investment and you don't have to worry about reading a story without a conclusion; the series is already finished and the standalones you can read at whatever pace suits you (supposing that you enjoy the series and decide to continue). Whereas Bakker's 20 year gap is more likely to take place in real life than in Eärwa.

Abercrombie's are quick reads and entertaining. They often read more like a modern, hard-boiled, action thriller than like fantasy.

Bakker is extremely ambitious and not for everyone (I have been stuck in the 3rd book for a few months, so I am not yet sure whether it is for me...). There are very few likable characters (for me, at most one of the main ones and maybe one or two subsidiary ones). The main character is insufferable in almost every respect.

It's in some respects extremely "high fantasy" (apocalyptic, over the top battles, super powerful magic/quasi-magic skills), in other respects pseudo-historic, dark and brutal, and even tries to balance some of the magic with anti-magic-kryptonite.

It is also rather slow going, there are two prologue-like chapters at the beginning and then it apparently starts anew and it takes about half a book until the strains come together.

Shorter than Malazan by a good margin - at least 200 pages shorter and closer to 500 pages shorter. The last book is supposed to be huge, but until it comes out Erikson wins handily in the size department.

We don't know it's going to be 20 years later. I think Madness explicitly refused to say anything about the next series in that way.

Dude Madness doesn't know anything about the last series. 20 year quote is straight from the horse's mouth, albeit from a long time ago.

Very different series but both very good. I couldn't put Bakker's down and staid up all night to finish the first trilogy. Ive reread it a few times and will continue to do so.

Abercrombie's trilogy was enjoyable bit I probably won't read it again, although I am looking forward to the stand alones.

If you like a series where it feels like there is a lot 'at stake', I'd highly recommend the Bakker.

But yeah read them both.

Dude Madness doesn't know anything about the last series. 20 year quote is straight from the horse's mouth, albeit from a long time ago.
I think you're thinking very much about what was said about the second series, not the third. If you can find a quote about that it'd be ideal.

I think you're thinking very much about what was said about the second series, not the third. If you can find a quote about that it'd be ideal.

I'm not and I'm not your quote hunting bitch. JFGI. It'll be on the old three seas forum. Maybe captured on Madness's forum.

Yep, Abercrombie fans make fart jokes and talk about amusing things with the author on these boards. Bakker fans apparently get riled up about details of books that aren't even started yet so much that they become hostile to other Bakker fans.

Bet you can't wait to start discussing the Bakker books now, huh!

Yep, Abercrombie fans make fart jokes and talk about amusing things with the author on these boards. Bakker fans apparently get riled up about details of books that aren't even started yet so much that they become hostile to other Bakker fans.

:lol:

Well played.

Very different series but both very good. I couldn't put Bakker's down and staid up all night to finish the first trilogy. Ive reread it a few times and will continue to do so.

Abercrombie's trilogy was enjoyable bit I probably won't read it again, although I am looking forward to the stand alones.

Good point. I’m the same. I’ve read all of Abercrombie’s (and have signed copies). But only once. Bakker I’ve reread multiple times.

I vote Bakker but mainly because I just love the scriptural tone of his books, amazing prose plus a good story. That said I also really like Abercrombie great ending if what you look for in a book is your soul getting ripped out and trampled upon, which as it happens I do.

Really you should read both, their both amazing. Also be aware they can both start kind of slow in the sense that with Bakker it takes a while for to get he hang of the names and factions. With Abercrombie it can take a while for it to seem as more than standard fantasy with excellent dialogue.

If you're enough of a fantasy nut to read all of Malazan then you definitely should read both Bakker and Abercrombie, as they're both at the top of the modern fantasy food chain. Also, don't listen to people trying to play it off like Bakker's gonna leave some unsatisfying, unfinished mess of a series. I finished his first trilogy with no knowledge whatsoever that there were any other books following it, and loved it enough to do a reread before I ever knew the second trilogy was even a thing that was gonna happen. He's also done nothing but improve as a writer since, so I don't see this next finale being any less satisfying of a conclusion.

Archived