Six Pups in the Snow: A Direwolves Reread

Welcome to the reread, Eiko Dragonhorn, Ornittorinca and Avlonnic! :) I look forward to seeing you taking part in our future discussions.

That's a very interesting detail, thanks for bringing it up!

We are somewhat behind schedule, but finally here's the next chapter:

Jon IV

Overview

Jon Snow could only stand and watch. Like the snowfall on the barrowlands, it seemed the tears would never end.

It was Ghost who knew what to do. Silent as a shadow, the pale direwolf moved closer and began to lick the warm tears off Samwell Tarly’s face. The fat boy cried out, startled… and somehow, in a heartbeat, his sobs turned to laughter.

Once again, Ghost is likened to a shadow, pale and silent. Once again, he acts in reaction to Jon’s emotions, expressing what Jon cannot express, only, unlike in Tyrion’s case early on, here Ghost shows sympathy and compassion rather than suspicion or anger.

Once again, it is worth noting that Samwell, though startled, isn’t really afraid of the huge direwolf.

Jon Snow laughed with him. Afterward, they sat on the frozen ground, huddled in their cloaks with Ghost between them. Jon told the story of how he and Robb had found the pups newborn in the late summer snows. It seemed a thousand years ago now. Before long he found himself talking of Winterfell.

Once again, Ghost’s presence promotes communication, understanding and friendship between Jon and another human being. As they are talking about the pups found in the snow, they are sitting on frozen ground, but they have broken the ice between them. It is Jon who opens up first and starts talking about Winterfell and telling Sam about his crypt dream, a very personal experience.

Thanks for the welcome! Great point on how Ghost facilitates the friendship between Jon and Sam, thus helping him move outside his somewhat solitary, isolated existence. Though he undoubtedly loves Robb, Arya and the rest of the Stark kids, maybe he didn’t feel like he was on equal footing with them; with Sam he can share some of the hopes and fears that he’d dwelt on internally before. As Franziska said, Jon does display many leadership qualities. Sometimes, though, and especially on a personal level, he needs that extra push to get started (so far, we’ve seen Tyrion helping him learn how to befriend the other new recruits and now Ghost helping him connect with Sam).

Embers are a form of fire, so this is one instance where Ghost's eyes are compared to fire rather than blood, although blood is also mentioned in the scene.

Perhaps when looking at the description of Ghost’s eye color and how it relates to Jon as a connection to his Stark heritage and (potential) Targaryen identity, we should consider the situation at hand. Considering his eyes as "fire" - How often has Ghost looked threatening so far? Once at the feast (when he defends his right to the chicken against a dog), twice with Tyrion and now with Rast. (Did I miss any other instances?) The first incident with Tyrion was more a warning than a threat, but in the second encounter, Tyrion ends up hurt, bleeding from the mouth. In fact, the word “blood” is mentioned twice. Although the description does not lean in either direction – garnet or ruby, blood or fire – Tyrion certainly is impressed by Ghost’s eyes, and they are perhaps the most memorable aspect of the direwolf, even more than its teeth. I say this because of how he uses the word “those” to refer to Ghost’s eyes.

“The damned thing never made a sound. He only looked at him with those bright red eyes, and showed him his teeth, and that was more than enough.”

“…those red eyes never left Tyrion.”

Those red eyes” sounds more foreboding and conjures up a mental image more than “his teeth” do. It also echoes back to the feast at Winterfell, where Jon notices how Ghost transfixes the dog with “those hot red eyes.” And as Julia H. said in this most recent analysis, when Ghost threatens Rast, Jon notes that “his eyes burned red as embers.” Obviously none of these will be “FIRE&BLOOD!!!” descriptions but as has been suggested by others in this re-read, the idea of Ghost’s eyes normally being tied to blood seems like an allusion to his family tree. So can the few instances when his eyes are tired to fire. Also, it is when Ghost/Jon is feeling threatened that the “fire” aspect shows itself in Ghost’s eyes. Finally, I think it’s interesting that it’s Jon who picks up on the varying colors of Ghost’s eyes, while Tyrion simply sees them as memorably (and terrifyingly) red.

We don't really see other people walking about with the live versions of their sigils following.

Not 'til the end of this book, anyway! :)

The Jon IV analysis you presented provides a good piece of evidence to contradict Jon's observation in ADwD "Like so much else, heraldry ended at the Wall." He has introduced Ghost as a sigil of his father's house; Many people refer to Lord Commander Mormont as "the Old Bear;" Dolorous Edd makes a remark about pomegranates after an encounter with Bowen Marsh. Even if they are not wearing their sigils, NW brothers who are from noble families are identified with their old allegiances. It also seems significant that each shield is returned to the Night's Watch man when he dies - showing that the connection to the Night's Watch ends at death? This could be particularly significant for Jon's story.

I think this is a great observation. Not only in terms of sigils, it also follows in the vein of characters who've hidden/shed their identities for diverse reasons. Sometimes the men of the NW themselves show that old allegiances die hard (Denys Mallister’s feelings towards the Ironborn Cotter Pyke, and vice versa, for example). One of Jon's biggest struggles is with this. We can only speculate about what is happening to Jon right now, but yes, that last bit certainly does seem like it could be relevant to his future. The vows state "It shall not end until my death," right?

Edited for a quote mishap and to add Bolding.

Great chapter and great analysis by all above!

Brothers

Jon will not let anyone hurt Sam, and he knows how to convince people:

Jon persuaded some, cajoled some, shamed the others, made threats where threats were required. At the end they had all agreed … all but Rast.

Isn’t it interesting that Jon knows how to convince people – except those who are not willing to listen to any arguments?

Hours later, as the castle slept, three of them paid a call on his cell. Grenn held his arms while Pyp sat on his legs. Jon could hear Rast’s rapid breathing as Ghost leapt onto his chest. The direwolf’s eyes burned red as embers as his teeth nipped lightly at the soft skin of the boy’s throat, just enough to draw blood. “Remember, we know where you sleep,” Jon said softly.

Here Ghost actively helps Jon to achieve a goal. He knows exactly just what to do to scare Rast without hurting him too much – even though he draws blood, he refrains from doing anything more, a surprising feat of discipline in the case of a predator animal.

I find this the most interesting part. First Jon takes on a leader role and then shows he knows how to work people, using different approaches on different people. He can read them and adept to their characters to get what he wants. Just before he wondered what Tyrion would think about Sam. Tyrion is another man who can adept quickly and can convince others, he also often has a unique perspective on people and situations. Seems Jon has picked up on that and has seen the value in that. Where a lot of others in the books seem very single-minded Jon realizes every new challenge may ask for a new strategy.

Perhaps he should remind this later on as LC, I think his lack of communication is the main reason for the daggers... but that is a long time away so let's take it a chapter at a time.

It's the second part that has been bugging me a few days.

As Julia noted: Here Ghost actively helps Jon to achieve a goal. He knows exactly just what to do to scare Rast without hurting him too much – even though he draws blood, he refrains from doing anything more, a surprising feat of discipline in the case of a predator animal.

I think that is still an understatement. I know when training a police dog one of the hardest things to teach is to get the dog all hyped up, send him after a 'bad guy' and then call him back just before he reaches the target. From some of the wolf dreams we know wolfs can get high on the smell and taste of blood, I can imagine how hard it is for Ghost not to just rip out that throat!

No matter what, Jon is either taking a HUGE risk with Rast's life or he is ABSOLUTELY DEAD CERTAIN about what Ghost will do. There is no margin for error, if Ghost would go further than scratching skin it is immediately too late because Rast will die before Jon can interfere.

So we can conclude that he has just no doubt whatsoever considering Ghost's actions:

* We know Jon well enough to know he doesn't gamble with lifes nor does he take them easily.

* If Ghost would kill Rast it would be clear to everybody how he died, repercussions would be severe. Probably a dead wolf and perhaps a dead bastard as well. Another huge risk.

* There are several alternatives that are less risky and still as effective. Consider a bit of strangling or a sharp dagger if you want to draw blood for dramatic effect.

To throw your direwolf on top of a guy when you JUST want to scare him is (without hindsight) a completely stupid thing to do!

So the obvious explanation (doh!) is that Jon is a warg. He is either controlling the wolf's action (though from his POVs we don't learn he has that ability, or not yet) or their minds are completely synced here: Jon knows what Ghost will do just as Ghost knows what Jon wants him to do. The latter seems more likely to me, we find more evidence for that like the very first moment Jon finds him by hearing the mute wolf; he is in his mind. Problem solved.

But what is bugging me is that I can't think of other events where Jon puts so much trust in knowing every detail of Ghost's actions. In fact he seems to be uncertain about what Ghost would do several times. Sometimes he is even surprised at what he does. It seems to me he can't reach the same level of cooperation later on, at least not at will.

This made me think maybe these events are connected: Jon takes a leading role, is successful in convincing his brothers and is probably exuding confidence and charismatic leadership at that point. When turning to Ghost he is taking firm command and his mind is overpowering when they connect. Remember Jojen telling the wolf can consume the boy if the boy doesn't take command (paraphrasing, don't have the text here) it is easy to loose yourself in warging, the wolf has a strong mind as well!

It's just something I thought of today, I'm gonna keep my eyes open to find more correlations of Jon's state of mind and confidence influencing his bond with Ghost.

I would also like to make a quick detour in the chapter before this one (Edddard V)

When catching on to this thread I read somebody wanted to keep track on the use of scents. Can't find back the post now (grrrr).

Anyway in this chapter there are several occasions where sweet smells are appearing. It is the part where Ned questions Pycelle about the death of Jon Arryn. There are sweet smells, Pycelle serves iced milk extra sweetened and then feeds sweet words to Ned. With this reread in mind it suddenly seemed to me that Martin was silently shouting: "Ned you are a wolf! Use your nose, smell the lies!" Unfortunately Ned talks a lot about wolfs but doesn't often act as one. Words are wind, Ned :)

Excellent analysis, Julia H.! You have highlighted so many threads that become important to Jon's story, and helped me to become more aware of Ghost's central role in the motifs and symbols surrounding Jon.

I feel fairly certain that GRRM shows Jon gathering his new brothers and/or "wolf pack" around him in a way that symbolizes his personal growth. Each new friend or former enemy or ally represents Jon's maturing sense of self. For instance, Benjen tells Jon he is "green" when he is new to the Night's Watch. Soon Jon overcomes and befriends Grenn (green) and Pyp (a pip is a seed and we know seeds are important from Jon Arryn's "The seed is strong," to the role of the pomegranate - sigil of Bowen Marsh - in Jon's story). Later, Satin, Leathers and Horse become some of Jon's "go to" guys in the Night's Watch, with Satin probably representing Jon's sexual awakening, Leathers representing his identification with the wildlings and Horse representing his sense of freedom (or, perhaps, his lingering temptation to run from his NW commitment).

As you demonstrate here, Sam is immediately Jon's closest friend, brother and ally. The importance of Jon and Sam's bond is demonstrated by Sam and Ghost's immediate comfort with each other. Sam is so important and complex that he may represent a few aspects of Jon's growth but this chapter highlights his innate fear of the NW life that has been thrust upon him. In the early pages of the first book, Eddard teaches Bran that fear is an essential sign of bravery:

Jon and Robb do not recognize that fear and bravery go together at the point the Bran is schooled by Ned, but maybe the friendship with Sam shows that Jon has now learned that lesson.

I think it's also deliberate that GRRM constantly uses the word "craven" in connection with Sam. Lord Mormont has a pet raven, and Jon now has a pet craven - along with his pet direwolf. Members of the Night's Watch are known as crows, but a raven is bigger than a crow, and it talks a bit and carries messages in this world. Maybe the points you highlighted in this good analysis, about Jon referring to the direwolf as his father's sigil, show that Jon is now adopting his own sigil at this moment. Or, at least, amending the direwolf sigil by adding his own symbol to it. And that sigil may be Sam the Craven = Raven.

Even if the craven/raven becomes a symbol or an aspect of Jon's maturation, the direwolf remains central to Jon's daily life and his growth as a character in the larger narrative. I can't remember if it was earlier in this discussion or in another discussion where we noted that the white wolf may represent the white cape of the King's guard that surrounds and defends the king of Westeros. Your focus on Jon's introduction of Ghost as the sigil of his father's house brought to mind another scene late in Jon's story that may help to explain Ghost's role:

At the wall, sigils of a brother's former family are represented by their retired shields. If ghost is the Stark sigil, he may function as Jon's shield (although I realize Jon had never been knighted). Jon's description of this dining hall in his last ADwD POV seems super significant in connection with his crypt dream, in my opinion. There is a very good thread discussing the relationships of a few dreams by major characters, all of which are crypt and feast-related dreams: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/112729-a-feast-for-the-dead-a-snow-in-the-tombs-a-dream-in-dust/ It will probably be important to analyze the Shieldhall as a symbolic feast location in relation to the feast and dream motifs and the images they present for life and death.

The Jon IV analysis you presented provides a good piece of evidence to contradict Jon's observation in ADwD "Like so much else, heraldry ended at the Wall." He has introduced Ghost as a sigil of his father's house; Many people refer to Lord Commander Mormont as "the Old Bear;" Dolorous Edd makes a remark about pomegranates after an encounter with Bowen Marsh. Even if they are not wearing their sigils, NW brothers who are from noble families are identified with their old allegiances. It also seems significant that each shield is returned to the Night's Watch man when he dies - showing that the connection to the Night's Watch ends at death? This could be particularly significant for Jon's story.

(I don't know what the etiquette is on repeating points made in other threads - I apologize if I am repeating myself too much. Julia H.'s good analysis here hit on so many points I have been trying to clarify that I can't help bringing them back into the discussion here. I also want to share a blog link someone recommended on another thread, and that I found extremely enlightening about the use of sigils at the wall and in Jon's story arc in particular. It presents a theory about wildling sigils and Jon's family history, so don't read it unless you want to gain a potentially enriching insight into a future plot point: http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/Queen.html.)

Thanks, Seams. Very interesting observations, I especially like your points about shields and sigils, heraldry and the Wall. I’ve never thought of it that way, but you are right – for all the talk about giving up one’s allegiances, family and even shields, the black brothers (especially those who belong to the nobility) are still defined to a large extent by their former allegiances and families. Similarly, although former crimes are forgiven on the Wall, past experiences are not wiped off so easily.

Thanks for advertising the thread “A Feast for the Dead…” It is one of my favourite threads, one of those that really enhanced the experience of reading ASOIAF. Thanks for the other link, too. (I have only taken a first look at it yet, but I’m looking forward to reading it in full.)

First of all. Thanks for your analysis Julia.

<snip>

As Julia mentioned before, here we really see Jon acting as the leader/alpha wolf. One “snarl” and his packmates back up in bullying the newest member.

Even more, Jon may not be the most pleasant person, but he has a remarkable skill with other people. He knows exactly how to get, what he wants. Even with people like Rast.

Side note:

Somehow I wonder how much about Jon’s actions already reached Mormont. Mormont himself later claims he didn’t become Lord Commander for being blind. I’m sure Thorne will complain about the recruits disobedient behavior in Mormont’s presence, I at least would. So… Jon you’re watched.

LOL, yes, good point about the “snarl”.

Even if Thorne does not complain, Maester Aemon will probably tell Mormont about Jon after Jon talks to him in connection with Sam. Mormont does not seem to pay attention to Jon at this point, but he is definitely not blind.

Thanks for the welcome! Great point on how Ghost facilitates the friendship between Jon and Sam, thus helping him move outside his somewhat solitary, isolated existence. Though he undoubtedly loves Robb, Arya and the rest of the Stark kids, maybe he didn’t feel like he was on equal footing with them; with Sam he can share some of the hopes and fears that he’d dwelt on internally before. As Franziska said, Jon does display many leadership qualities. Sometimes, though, and especially on a personal level, he needs that extra push to get started (so far, we’ve seen Tyrion helping him learn how to befriend the other new recruits and now Ghost helping him connect with Sam).

Perhaps when looking at the description of Ghost’s eye color and how it relates to Jon as a connection to his Stark heritage and (potential) Targaryen identity, we should consider the situation at hand. Considering his eyes as "fire" - How often has Ghost looked threatening so far? Once at the feast (when he defends his right to the chicken against a dog), twice with Tyrion and now with Rast. (Did I miss any other instances?) The first incident with Tyrion was more a warning than a threat, but in the second encounter, Tyrion ends up hurt, bleeding from the mouth. In fact, the word “blood” is mentioned twice. Although the description does not lean in either direction – garnet or ruby, blood or fire – Tyrion certainly is impressed by Ghost’s eyes, and they are perhaps the most memorable aspect of the direwolf, even more than its teeth. I say this because of how he uses the word “those” to refer to Ghost’s eyes.

Those red eyes” sounds more foreboding and conjures up a mental image more than “his teeth” do. It also echoes back to the feast at Winterfell, where Jon notices how Ghost transfixes the dog with “those hot red eyes.” And as Julia H. said in this most recent analysis, when Ghost threatens Rast, Jon notes that “his eyes burned red as embers.” Obviously none of these will be “FIRE&BLOOD!!!” descriptions but as has been suggested by others in this re-read, the idea of Ghost’s eyes normally being tied to blood seems like an allusion to his family tree. So can the few instances when his eyes are tired to fire. Also, it is when Ghost/Jon is feeling threatened that the “fire” aspect shows itself in Ghost’s eyes. Finally, I think it’s interesting that it’s Jon who picks up on the varying colors of Ghost’s eyes, while Tyrion simply sees them as memorably (and terrifyingly) red.

<snip>

Ghost’s eyes being usually blood-red but sometimes fiery intrigues me. Ghost seems to be all about the North and the Starks, yet, could it be an accident that his eyes are also compared to fire, as a reference to Jon’s “fire” side?

Great chapter and great analysis by all above!

I find this the most interesting part. First Jon takes on a leader role and then shows he knows how to work people, using different approaches on different people. He can read them and adept to their characters to get what he wants. Just before he wondered what Tyrion would think about Sam. Tyrion is another man who can adept quickly and can convince others, he also often has a unique perspective on people and situations. Seems Jon has picked up on that and has seen the value in that. Where a lot of others in the books seem very single-minded Jon realizes every new challenge may ask for a new strategy.

Perhaps he should remind this later on as LC, I think his lack of communication is the main reason for the daggers... but that is a long time away so let's take it a chapter at a time.

It's the second part that has been bugging me a few days.

As Julia noted: Here Ghost actively helps Jon to achieve a goal. He knows exactly just what to do to scare Rast without hurting him too much – even though he draws blood, he refrains from doing anything more, a surprising feat of discipline in the case of a predator animal.

I think that is still an understatement. I know when training a police dog one of the hardest things to teach is to get the dog all hyped up, send him after a 'bad guy' and then call him back just before he reaches the target. From some of the wolf dreams we know wolfs can get high on the smell and taste of blood, I can imagine how hard it is for Ghost not to just rip out that throat!

No matter what, Jon is either taking a HUGE risk with Rast's life or he is ABSOLUTELY DEAD CERTAIN about what Ghost will do. There is no margin for error, if Ghost would go further than scratching skin it is immediately too late because Rast will die before Jon can interfere.

So we can conclude that he has just no doubt whatsoever considering Ghost's actions:

* We know Jon well enough to know he doesn't gamble with lifes nor does he take them easily.

* If Ghost would kill Rast it would be clear to everybody how he died, repercussions would be severe. Probably a dead wolf and perhaps a dead bastard as well. Another huge risk.

* There are several alternatives that are less risky and still as effective. Consider a bit of strangling or a sharp dagger if you want to draw blood for dramatic effect.

To throw your direwolf on top of a guy when you JUST want to scare him is (without hindsight) a completely stupid thing to do!

So the obvious explanation (doh!) is that Jon is a warg. He is either controlling the wolf's action (though from his POVs we don't learn he has that ability, or not yet) or their minds are completely synced here: Jon knows what Ghost will do just as Ghost knows what Jon wants him to do. The latter seems more likely to me, we find more evidence for that like the very first moment Jon finds him by hearing the mute wolf; he is in his mind. Problem solved.

But what is bugging me is that I can't think of other events where Jon puts so much trust in knowing every detail of Ghost's actions. In fact he seems to be uncertain about what Ghost would do several times. Sometimes he is even surprised at what he does. It seems to me he can't reach the same level of cooperation later on, at least not at will.

This made me think maybe these events are connected: Jon takes a leading role, is successful in convincing his brothers and is probably exuding confidence and charismatic leadership at that point. When turning to Ghost he is taking firm command and his mind is overpowering when they connect. Remember Jojen telling the wolf can consume the boy if the boy doesn't take command (paraphrasing, don't have the text here) it is easy to loose yourself in warging, the wolf has a strong mind as well!

It's just something I thought of today, I'm gonna keep my eyes open to find more correlations of Jon's state of mind and confidence influencing his bond with Ghost.

I would also like to make a quick detour in the chapter before this one (Edddard V)

When catching on to this thread I read somebody wanted to keep track on the use of scents. Can't find back the post now (grrrr).

Anyway in this chapter there are several occasions where sweet smells are appearing. It is the part where Ned questions Pycelle about the death of Jon Arryn. There are sweet smells, Pycelle serves iced milk extra sweetened and then feeds sweet words to Ned. With this reread in mind it suddenly seemed to me that Martin was silently shouting: "Ned you are a wolf! Use your nose, smell the lies!" Unfortunately Ned talks a lot about wolfs but doesn't often act as one. Words are wind, Ned :)

About Ghost and Rast… I don’t know, my general impression is that Jon usually trusts Ghost to the utmost, but we’ll see as we proceed. This scene may also be an instance of early, not fully conscious warging. Jon can sense what Ghost is doing and what he is about to do. He has noticed before that Ghost is very obedient. He has told Tyrion that Ghost won’t hurt him while he (Jon) is there. He has also experienced that he can call back Ghost when he wants to – when Ghost attacks Tyrion, for example. Through his reaction to Sam, Ghost has also shown that he is not an ordinary direwolf. We are in Jon’s POV, and he does not seem to think that he is putting Rast’s life in danger. But he probably thinks that Sam’s life will be in danger if Rast continues to seriously attack him.

Jon has already tried every other method to convince Rast (like the others) – so now he resorts to teaching him a lesson and showing him what it is like to be threatened by someone stronger. I don’t think using a dagger or a bit of strangling would be just as effective here. Those are methods that anybody could use, but only Jon has a direwolf in the whole NW. Ghost brings it home to Rast that Jon is not just the ordinary guy he may seem to be at first sight, but one who commands a direwolf, i.e. someone with special (magical) abilities – and that is exactly what Jon proves here. It gives Jon a certain unofficial authority among the youngsters of the NW, which he uses in the interest of others - and not only in the interest of Sam alone. After all, Thorne’s insistence that the boys must attack, hurt and humiliate Sam (which obviously won’t make Sam a warrior) is harmful to the spirit of brotherhood in the Night’s Watch. In addition, Ghost may also be setting an example to Rast. If a direwolf can refrain from killing a human being who is weaker than him, where does it put Rast, who enjoys hurting a brother who has done him no harm and who does not know how to defend himself? I think Jon is making an important point with Ghost, and I believe it is more effective than using any other type of physical threat.

The sweet smell: I have read it on these forums that sweet is usually associated with death or killing in ASOIAF. This is a good example. Jon Arryn was poisoned and Pycelle is symbolically “poisoning” Ned. It’s an interesting point that a “direwolf” should be able to “smell” the deadly intent.

It is an interesting point. My original assumption was that only the blood of the Starks could bond (warg) with direwolves, so Theon never had a chance to get a wolf pup; but now that you are mentioning it, I wonder if there might have been seven direwolf pups (a magical number), one for each of the kids growing up in Winterfell, but since Theon rejected the direwolves, he could not get one. Of course, the Stark girls and Rickon got their direwolves even though they weren't present, so the Stark blood must have counted for something, but Jon, on the other hand, found his own direwolf pup only after proving himself worthy of one.

In defence of Theon, his reaction to the direwolves is not so different from that of everyone else who is not a Stark.

Welcome! :)

Yes, it is Jon alone who can hear Ghost. I wonder if there will ever be another moment where Ghost makes a sound that Jon hears. Then again, perhaps it is not necessary any longer, since he can "sense" Ghost more accurately than simply hearing him.

Another mystery is how the direwolves got south of the Wall. I don't know that, but it seems that the huge, dead mother wolf may not only symbolize the near future (the conflict with the Baratheons) but also the past of the Starks - a history that is great and intimidating, but nurturing, too, and, by now, dead. The young pups are the promise of a future, a Stark future that necessitates a return to something ancient and forgotten.

It has just occurred to me that the young Starks (and possibly even Theon) who have seen the dead mother wolf are the ones who will return to the past of the Starks in some way. Robb will claim the ancient crown of the Kings-in-the-North, Bran will witness scenes of the distant past firsthand, and Jon will rediscover the original duty of the Night's Watch, i.e., to protect the realms of all men against the Others, which is also a return to the past of the Starks, as well as, in a more general sense, a return to the past of the North.

When Ed saw the dead Mother he said Winter is Coming, He knew there was a possibility of another dark, long winter as had fallen the first men.

One little thing caught my eye in Ned last chapter.

I also never paid much attention to Sansa’s dream of Bran. Somehow I have now the feeling, that it was not just some dream, but something more. Even with Lady lost, Sansa is a skinchanger, so it could be some kind of greendream. But this is Ned’s POV, the man who does not pay attention to signs and dreams, so we obviously don’t get more information about Sansa’s dream.

She was sleeping in front of a weirwood, likely at its roots. Jaime got a weirwood dream sleeping on a weirwood stump, Theon get weird dreams sleeping on Ned's weirwood bed.

She was sleeping in front of a weirwood, likely at its roots. Jaime got a weirwood dream sleeping on a weirwood stump, Theon get weird dreams sleeping on Ned's weirwood bed.

She's sleeping in front of a heart tree, yes. But the heart tree in the Red Keep is an oak tree.

Good point, I completely forgot that. There still may be a connection because Ned says he can still 'feel' his gods.

Well, it IS a godswood, so after 300 years of existence it can't be totally worthless. Sleeping there might also give a protagonist a more "spiritual" dream.

But my point was more that, even with Lady dead, Sansa still is a warg and without a host her powers might develop different from those of Jon and her siblings.

To all newcomers, welcome! To everyone, thank you so much for all the great discussion and finds. And Julia H., you're analysis is amazing as usual!

Eddard VI

Summary: Ned pays a visit to Tobho Mott.

“The direwolf is the sigil of House Stark, is it not? I could fashion a direwolf helm so real that children will run from you in the street.”

• This offhand comment has made me quite reflective. Just last chapter we saw a real direwolf scare a child, and we saw plenty examples of direwolves scaring children (and adults) before that incident. On the other hand, we know quite a few kids who aren’t scared of real direwolves.

• Ned is probably the last person who would want to own something that scares children.

Catelyn V

Summary: Cat and Rodrick stop at the Inn of the Crossroads.

“…the Starks know no music but the howling of wolves.”

• We’re introduced to another Stark stereotype.

• We also get another comparison between wolf howling and music.

• Besides logistics, do you think there is another reason why singers avoid Winterfell? Could Bael the Bard have something to do with it? If a singer has already made it to White Harbor, why not go to Winterfell?

Sansa II

Summary

Sansa attends the Hand’s Tourney.

Observations

• More white as snow imagery for Kingsguard’s cloaks.
  • Joff’s arm is still hurting him.

Analysis

“Ser Jaime wore the white cloak as well…with a lion’s head helm.”

• Jaime wears a lion’s-head helm, providing another contrast with Ned who refused the direwolf helm.

• I wonder if Mott made the helm.

• Similarly, I wonder if the helm looks real enough to scare children, which would be fitting for Jaime considering what happened with Bran.

“She [sansa] had never seen a man die before. She ought to be crying too, she thought, but the tears would not come. Perhaps she had used up all her tears for Lady and Bran. It would be different if it were Jory or Ser Rodrick or Father she told herself. “

• This reminds me of the story of Alyssa Arryn as well as the dichotomy of how tears are viewed in the north and south. Not crying seems to be a more northern approved reaction.

“At first she thought she hated him [Joffrey] for what they had done to Lady, but after Sansa had wept her eyes dry, she told herself it had not been Joffrey’s doing, not truly. The queen had done it; she was the one to hate, her and Arya.”

• This train of thought is interesting in light of what Sandor reveals to Sansa about his brother at the end of the chapter. I wonder if Sansa feeling wronged by Arya is another reason she’s sympathetic to Sandor.

• Arya has some queen associations –Nymeria’s name, Ned’s comment that she’ll be queen, etc. Later on two other queens are going to make trouble for Sansa. So Lady’s death heralds the motif of queens harming Lady Sansa.

Eddard VII

Observations

Sandor is definitely acting as a direwolf substitute. He knocks down a Lannister, and he saves someone a Stark wanted protected. Both are things we’ve seen the direwolves do in previous chapters.

“I am sorry for your girl, Ned. Truly. About the wolf, I mean. My son was lying, I’d stake my soul on it.”

• Like in Sansa II, the most direct references to direwolves during the tournament chapters have to do with Lady’s death. We’re still feeling the impact of it. However, it gets brushed aside due to all the other problems facing the characters.

“…Sansa was watching it all moist-eyed and eager.”

Then when the Mountain attacks Loras, she does cry. Have the events of the last chapter given Sansa back her tears? At the very least it’s an indication that she has become emotionally invested in the Hound.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so thrilled to join this re-read!

I will work on unpacking my thoughts so far but until I have time for that, I had a new thought about the name Grey Wind.

I first realized Grey Wind sounds like the name of a boat. Which would be strange in Winterfell, however Theon GREYjoy appears to be Robs closest friend. I'm not sure of all the implications, but we have to skip ahead a bit to tie it up with Theon naming his boat sea bitch Ie. Female dog.

I will work on unpacking my thoughts so far but until I have time for that, I had a new thought about the name Grey Wind.

I first realized Grey Wind sounds like the name of a boat. Which would be strange in Winterfell, however Theon GREYjoy appears to be Robs closest friend. I'm not sure of all the implications, but we have to skip ahead a bit to tie it up with Theon naming his boat sea bitch Ie. Female dog.

Asha's longship is called black wind, and it bugs Theon

Welcome!

Interesting observation... As you say, Robb and Theon were friends, so Theon may have suggested ideas when Robb named Grey Wind. It could have been a way of making amends when he realized how serious the Starks were about the direwolves, and he may have recalled boat names he had heard in his early childhood.

I will have to look this up. Great catch!

Good job again, Harlaw's Book the Sequel!

To all newcomers, welcome! To everyone, thank you so much for all the great discussion and finds. And Julia H., you're analysis is amazing as usual!

Catelyn V

Summary: Cat and Rodrick stop at the Inn of the Crossroads.

“…the Starks know no music but the howling of wolves.”

• We’re introduced to another Stark stereotype.

• We also get another comparison between wolf howling and music.

• Besides logistics, do you think there is another reason why singers avoid Winterfell? Could Bael the Bard have something to do with it? If a singer has already made it to White Harbor, why not go to Winterfell?

Few wandering singers ventured as far as Winterfell, but she knew his like from her girlhood in Riverrun.

Harsh weather aside, I suppose "real" singers are more at home in the southron courts and in knight culture providing the primary material for their songs. Bael and Mance represent a different type of singers - the part-time singers or warrior singers, who don't make a living as bards (they both happen to be Kings-beyond-the-Wall). I would venture the opinion that Northern culture does not support the idea of professional singers living entirely off their audience (when the white winds blow and food becomes scarce, who would want to feed somene who does not work or fight?) - but there are people who can also sing and maybe play a musical instrument besides what they otherwise do and their talent is appreciated. Yet, from the viewpoint of southron singers, the North seems simply uncultured.

In addition, it may have been just another wise precaution for Ned to keep singers and musical instruments well out of the reach of Rhaegar's son. The last thing he needed was for Jon to show an interest in songs and a talent for playing music...

But then again, Sansa seems to know all the songs that there are, so she must have heard them from someone.

Sandor is definitely acting as a direwolf substitute. He knocks down a Lannister, and he saves someone a Stark wanted protected. Both are things we’ve seen the direwolves do in previous chapters.

Random observations:

Sandor is called a "dog", yet he is definitely much more ferocious and unpredictable than Lady, the wolf, ever was.

A "gift" of her "betrothed": a female direwolf replaced by a male "dog", just as Sansa's interest is turning towards men.

While Lady was absolutely ladylike, Sandor rejects even the idea of knighthood.

I've been working on an idea related to the dog/wolf/cat connection.

What really caught my attention was a few chapters back,

" Arya was in her room, packing a polished ironwood chest that was bigger than she was. Nymeria was helping. Arya would only have to point, and the wolf would bound across the room, snatch up some wisp of silk in her jaws, and fetch it back"

The observation has alrady been made that Nymeria has the most human name and is acting the most human. What I took note of was that Nym is willing to fetch for Arya, where earlier Summer wouldn't "fetch" for Bran, she is said to be helping.

To speculate a bit off topic, Bran seeing other creatures as "less than" is a big of a theme for him, where as Arya seems to be able to find allies everywhere.

My next connection comes from Lady. Some have said she is described like your favorite family dog. I think this is accurate. But, we know she's not a dog, she's a direwolf, right?

I own huskies. Huskies are known for being very catlike and wolfish. When I picture Lady I always see my huskies more catlike qualities.

Lady and Sana both come off as catlike. Which brings some new comparison to her mother "Lady Stark".

To bring it back to where we are now, I think Sandor is an obvious stand in for Lady in this chapter. But I think there's something more to be discussed here. Along the lines that ,although we are reminded many times that a direwolf is not a dog, they still share some (arguably many) traits.

This is way longer than I intended so I'm going to close this with one more thing Shaggy DOG is the most wolfish direwolf.

Compared to the other Great Houses, the Greyjoys don't seem as obsessed with their sigil. The feeling seems to have transferred to their ships instead, so I think it makes sense to think of the Greyjoy ships as the counterparts to the Stark direwolves as opposed to the kraken. I think the names of Theon and Asha's ships are as meaningful as the direwolves' names.

Good job again, Harlaw's Book the Sequel!

Few wandering singers ventured as far as Winterfell, but she knew his like from her girlhood in Riverrun.

Harsh weather aside, I suppose "real" singers are more at home in the southron courts and in knight culture providing the primary material for their songs. Bael and Mance represent a different type of singers - the part-time singers or warrior singers, who don't make a living as bards (they both happen to be Kings-beyond-the-Wall). I would venture the opinion that Northern culture does not support the idea of professional singers living entirely off their audience (when the white winds blow and food becomes scarce, who would want to feed somene who does not work or fight?) - but there are people who can also sing and maybe play a musical instrument besides what they otherwise do and their talent is appreciated. Yet, from the viewpoint of southron singers, the North seems simply uncultured.

In addition, it may have been just another wise precaution for Ned to keep singers and musical instruments well out of the reach of Rhaegar's son. The last thing he needed was for Jon to show an interest in songs and a talent for playing music...

Thanks! I like your reasoning for why singers would avoid Winterfell. And I agree Ned probably had the same fears about Jon that Uncle Owen had Luke Skywalker. This makes me wonder if Ser Rodrik was appointed Master of Arms before Robert's Rebellion or afterwards. If afterwards, Rodrik's "no music for boys" attitude might have been a factor in why he got the job. Regardless, I always had the feeling Ned tacitly approved of Rodrik's attitude for Jon's sake.

I've been working on an idea related to the dog/wolf/cat connection.

What really caught my attention was a few chapters back,

" Arya was in her room, packing a polished ironwood chest that was bigger than she was. Nymeria was helping. Arya would only have to point, and the wolf would bound across the room, snatch up some wisp of silk in her jaws, and fetch it back"

The observation has alrady been made that Nymeria has the most human name and is acting the most human. What I took note of was that Nym is willing to fetch for Arya, where earlier Summer wouldn't "fetch" for Bran, she is said to be helping.

To speculate a bit off topic, Bran seeing other creatures as "less than" is a big of a theme for him, where as Arya seems to be able to find allies everywhere.

My next connection comes from Lady. Some have said she is described like your favorite family dog. I think this is accurate. But, we know she's not a dog, she's a direwolf, right?

I own huskies. Huskies are known for being very catlike and wolfish. When I picture Lady I always see my huskies more catlike qualities.

Lady and Sana both come off as catlike. Which brings some new comparison to her mother "Lady Stark".

To bring it back to where we are now, I think Sandor is an obvious stand in for Lady in this chapter. But I think there's something more to be discussed here. Along the lines that ,although we are reminded many times that a direwolf is not a dog, they still share some (arguably many) traits.

This is way longer than I intended so I'm going to close this with one more thing Shaggy DOG is the most wolfish direwolf.

Interesting! I agree there is a serious wolf/dog/cat connection GRRM is building. I would also toss birds into the mix.

I didn't realize the cat symbolism with Sansa until you pointed it out. It becomes another compare/contrast point between her and Arya. While Arya embraces cat connotations, Sansa resents the cat associations (her marriage to Tyrion), or she can't use it (Littlefinger not letting allowing the name "Cat" as an alias).

So I have been away for a while, I have a lot to catch on. But just throwing my two cents...

Tyrion III

Overview

On his last night in Castle Black, Tyrion is having dinner with the officers of the Night’s Watch. He makes fun of Ser Alliser and gets called a “giant” by Maester Aemon. Afterwards he talks to the Old Bear, who asks him to speak up for the Night’s Watch in King’s Landing. Later, following a sudden whim, Tyrion goes up the Wall, where he meets Jon Snow, who is on guard duty. Ghost is with Jon.

Giant

Yet, the direwolf makes Tyrion uncomfortable in one respect:

The beast came up as high as his chest now. Another year, and Tyrion had the gloomy feeling he’d be looking up at him.

Jon is also described as looking bigger as he is dressed for night guard:

He looked bigger and heavier in his layers of fur and leather, the hood of his cloak pulled down over his face.

Now let us consider an earlier moment in this chapter:

“I think he is a giant come among us, here at the end of the world.”

Both Jon and Ghost have grown recently, or so it seems to Tyrion, and the idea that Ghost will soon be bigger than Tyrion may imply that Jon will also grow “larger” (not simply in the physical sense) than Tyrion, who was called, earlier in this chapter, a “giant”.

So first, great job Julia.H ! I really like this chapter as well.

- Jon's first real encounter with Tyrion is outside the Winterfell feast. Tyrion is sitting over a door and is described as looking like a gargoyle. I know there are ongoing motifs with doors and stones, so these two symbols have to be significant in this first encounter of two major characters. That Jon chapter concludes with light from the open door casting a shadow that makes Tyrion look as "tall as a king." So he goes from being a stone monster, in Jon's POV, to being a king. Another "Tyrion as Giant" reference?

I find this two scenes when Tyrion is compared to a giant or a King really interesting because each times it is preceeded or followed by a comparison between Tyrion and Jon's height.

In the first meeting we have that, just a few lines before the Tyrion's shadow making him looks "as tall as a King":

He rose. Standing, he was taller than the dwarf. It made him feel strange.

On Ghost, "white shadow" and Kingsguard:

Your analysis led me to wonder whether Ghost in his white coat is playing the role of King's Guard for Jon. If the speculation is correct that Jon has a royal destiny, it makes (literary) sense that he would have a white guard to protect him.

I totally love the idea of Ghost being Jon's Kingsguard! It brings to mind Jaime's weirwood dream, where the members of the old Kingsguard appear as ghosts.

I would say that yes, Ghost definitely plays the role of Jon's Kingsguard. Allow me to jump a little ahead.

From ADWD :

Ghost padded after him, a white shadow at his side.

Ghost ran with them, a white shadow at Jon's side.

Dany glimpsed Ser Barristan sliding closer, a white shadow at her side.

I'm grateful that you called attention to the emphasis on black in association with Jon while the direwolf and the wall are white. I was recently struck by similarities between Arya participating in the House of Black and White and Jon's joining of the Night's Watch. The colors are one of the major clues that we are supposed to draw a parallel.

This is really interesting Seams, I never thought about that.

Arya II

Overview

“Let me tell you something about wolves, child. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.”

In a sense, all of the Stark children will become “lone wolves”. Arya will wander the Riverlands, then she will make the voyage to Braavos… Sansa will be left alone and vulnerable in KL. Robb will leave behind Winterfell and go South to be killed brutally. Bran and Rickon’s ways will part, too. Jon has already left the pack. Will they survive? How will it be possible?

Of course, sometimes it is possible to find a new pack, as Nymeria does. Other times, the lone wolf, facing death, can still think of the survival of the pack – hence Robb’s will. Still other times, the “wolf blood” must be hidden, for example when Sansa assumes the bastard name Stone. Yet, “the survival of the pack” can also be interpreted as the “lone wolves” retaining the pack feeling despite the separation. Perhaps when Winter is truly here, the scattered, surviving Starks and their direwolves will return and unite, saving the pack.

Any thoughts?

Well this is certainly one of the most quoted and importance sentence of the series, for the future of the Starks at least. I hope you right and that this means that the Stark kids are going to find each other and stay close during the winter.

“We had to throw rocks,” she said miserably. “I told her to run, to go be free, that I didn’t want her anymore. There were other wolves for her to play with, we heard them howling, and Jory said the woods were full of game, so she’d have her deer to hunt. Only she kept following, and finally we had to throw rocks. I hit her twice. She whined and looked at me and I felt so ‘shamed, but it was right, wasn’t it? The queen would have killed her.”

I had forgotten that Jory helped Arya to make Nymeria run away (because of the Tvshow I think), now I'm feeling so sad that he died :crying: . Bad, bad Jaime !

More later. Great job again Julia.H !

Whilst looking for the white shadow references in Clash I came across Ghost being a "pale shadow" but, what I found was that the wights are often referred to as white shadows.

'"What gods?" Jon was remembering that they'd seen no boys in Craster's Keep, nor men either, save Craster himself.

"The cold gods," she said. "The ones in the night. The white shadows."'

'"We do not ride for the Wall. We ride north, after Mance Rayder and these Others, these white shadows and their wights. We seek them, Gilly. Your babe would not be safe with us."'

Thanks, Ellfoy!

I just want to let everyone know that I haven't forgotten that it's my turn to post the next direwolf chapter. I really hoped to do it this weekend... but I must ask your patience yet.

In the meantime, I look forward to seeing your comments and observations here.

Bran V

Overview

Bran rides out for the first time in his special saddle with Robb, Theon and various other people. Robb tells him about the attack on Eddard and his men in King’s Landing, about Jory Cassel’s death and their father’s injury. Later Bran is left alone for a short time in the woods, where he is attacked by a group consisting of outlaws and wildlings. Robb and the direwolves come to the rescue, but in the end, it is Theon who saves Bran’s life with a precisely aimed arrow. Robb is furious. The boys take one of the attackers – a woman called Osha – captive.

Observations

- Bran can ride, thanks to Tyrion Lannister. Eddard is injured, while Jory and others are dead, because of Jaime Lannister.

- I find the Bran – Robb – Theon dynamics in this chapter fascinating.

- In Bran I, Bran believed the Night’s Watch deserter to be a dangerous wildling. Now he meets both wildlings and deserters ganged up against him.

Analysis

Winter is coming

In a special saddle and with a specially trained horse, Bran can ride again. On this very special trip, the Stark boys are accompanied by guardsmen and Joseth, the new master of horse, as well as Maester Luwin – and the direwolves. Theon rides with them, too. The thrill of the ride evokes happier times, but the winter town reminds them that winter is coming – and indeed, Robb has bad news to share with Bran. I find the imagery and the choice of words especially interesting here:

When the snow fell and the ice winds howled down out of the north, Old Nan said, farmers left their frozen fields and distant holdfasts, loaded up their wagons, and then the winter town came alive.

…………

“Did you hear Summer howling last night?”

Grey Wind was restless, too.”

The direwolves howl just like the ice winds, and they came “down out of the north”, too. Even their names remind us of the wind and the weather. Just as the ice winds signal the coming winter, the howling of the direwolves is a sign that something bad is happening, something bad is coming.

“Sometimes I think they know things … sense things…” Robb sighed.

Brilliant observation, Robb. It would be a good idea to keep that in mind…

We also get to observe, again, people’s reaction to the wolves:

A few villagers eyed the direwolves anxiously as the riders went past, and one man dropped the wood he was carrying as he shrank away in fear, but most of the town-folk had grown used to the sight.

It is good to be reminded that the direwolves are still not cuddly dogs, and they are fearsome to everyone not used to them.

Hunters

When they want to go home, Robb decides to look for the direwolves in the wolfswood with a somewhat sinister suggestion:

“Let’s hunt down the hunters then,” Robb said.

The “hunters” are, of course, the direwolves. The direwolves also stand for House Stark though. Soon enough, these hunters (as they are “hunting down the hunters”) will be hunted down by a ragged group of outlaws. The sentence also brings back to mind Jaime’s attack on Eddard (lion versus direwolf), and it even foreshadows the hunt where Bran and Rickon will be the hunted, while the hunter will be Theon, who, with his bow and arrows and love of hunting, is the very image of a huntsman in this chapter.

The hunting theme is reinforced as they hear the howl of the wolves, which is this time directly compared to the wind:

They were on the far side when they heard the howl, a long rising wail that moved through the trees like a cold wind. Bran raised his head to listen. “Summer,” he said. No sooner had he spoken than a second voice joined the first.

“They’ve made a kill,” Robb said as he remounted. “I’d best go and bring them back. Wait here, Theon and the others should be along shortly.”

If the howling winds mean winter and the howl of the wolves means approaching danger, then this howl should perhaps be taken as a warning. The direwolves may have made a kill, but they may just as well be sensing the impending danger.

Note that the wolves are probably together – or at least in communication with each other. The Starks should follow their example, and Robb probably shouldn’t leave Bran alone, not even for a few minutes.

In the wolfswood

Robb whistled. They heard the faint sound of soft feet on wet leaves. The undergrowth parted, low-hanging branches giving up their accumulation of snow, and Greay Wind and Summer emerged from the green. Summer sniffed the air and growled.

“Wolves,” gasped Hali.

“Direwolves,” Bran said.

I love the way the direwolves emerge against the background of the wolfswood. Who could be more at home here than they?

We also get a description of their typical direwolf features:

Still half-grown, they were as large as any wolf he had ever seen, but the differences were easy to spot, if you knew what to look for. Maester Luwin and Farlen the kennelmaster had taught him. A direwolf had a bigger head and longer legs in proportion to its body, and its snout and jaw were markedly more pronounced. There was something gaunt and terrible about them as they stood there amid the gently falling snow. Fresh blood spotted Grey Wind’s muzzle.

The description of Grey Wind reminds me of Jon’s crypt dream in ASOS:

But it was only a direwolf, grey and ghastly, spotted with blood, his golden eyes shining sadly through the dark…

Yet, one of the wildlings makes an obvious mistake by denying the truth of what he is facing:

Dogs,” the big bald man said contemptuously. “Yet, I’m told there’s nothing like a wolfskin cloak to warm a man by night.”

And now we truly get a glimpse of what the direwolves are capable of. The carnage is appalling even to the humans who are being saved by the wolves. However, Robb has to call the wolves back when Bran is taken hostage.

“Now kill the wolves.”

Robb did not move.

“You do it. The wolves or the boy.”

No!” Bran screamed. If Robb did as they asked, Stiv would kill them both anyway, once the direwolves were dead.

A cruel choice, but not unlike many others we will see forced on various characters in the books. Yet, Bran is right – there is nothing to gain by obeying this command. It is a typical stalemate situation: If Robb does nothing, Stiv can’t do anything either – if he kills Bran, Robb will have no reason to restrain the direwolves any longer. Of course, if Stiv panics, he might kill Bran anyway. What is Robb going to do? Negotiating would be the best tactics, keeping the direwolves close to him so that Osha does not dare to get closer. After all, the rest of the party must arrive soon… Theon solves the situation by taking a risky move. The risk pays off, yet we (and Robb) can see how hotheaded and irresponsible Theon can be.

Theon Greyjoy sauntered closer. “Give her to the wolves,” he urged Robb.

…………………

“She’s a woman,” Robb said.

We see a marked difference here between Theon, who likes the sight of a dead enemy, and the Starks, who do not enjoy watching the carnage, not even when they have nothing to fear. The exchange also highlights Robb’s natural chivalry towards any woman and Theon’s obvious lack of it.

When they want to go home, Robb decides to look for the direwolves in the wolfswood with a somewhat sinister suggestion:

Lets hunt down the hunters then, Robb said.

The hunters are, of course, the direwolves. The direwolves also stand for House Stark though. Soon enough, these hunters (as they are hunting down the hunters) will be hunted down by a ragged group of outlaws. The sentence also brings back to mind Jaimes attack on Eddard (lion versus direwolf), and it even foreshadows the hunt where Bran and Rickon will be the hunted, while the hunter will be Theon, who, with his bow and arrows and love of hunting, is the very image of a huntsman in this chapter.

In the wolfswood

... one of the wildlings makes an obvious mistake by denying the truth of what he is facing:

Dogs, the big bald man said contemptuously. Yet, Im told theres nothing like a wolfskin cloak to warm a man by night.

Now kill the wolves.

Robb did not move.

You do it. The wolves or the boy.

No! Bran screamed. If Robb did as they asked, Stiv would kill them both anyway, once the direwolves were dead.

... Theon solves the situation by taking a risky move. The risk pays off, yet we (and Robb) can see how hotheaded and irresponsible Theon can be.

Theon Greyjoy sauntered closer. Give her to the wolves, he urged Robb.

Shes a woman, Robb said.

We see a marked difference here between Theon, who likes the sight of a dead enemy, and the Starks, who do not enjoy watching the carnage, not even when they have nothing to fear. The exchange also highlights Robbs natural chivalry towards any woman and Theons obvious lack of it.

Very nice work! There is so much direwolf-related stuff in this chapter that it's hard to know what to single out.

The things that struck me in your analysis were the parallels between the "hunt the hunters" elements and past and future events in Theon's story line. When the wolf pups were newly discovered, Theon had advocated killing them. This NIght's Watch deserter, Stiv, is now advocating killing the direwolves.

Stiv also mentions dogs, wolfskin and having a bedwarmer. A lot of this points toward Ramsay Snow, to my mind. We will learn that Ramsay hunts down and kills women for sport. Underscoring the comparison, Theon advocates feeding Osha to the wolves - a sentiment worthy of his future Bolton captor. (But before he is taken prisoner by Ramsay, doesn't Osha become Theon's bedwarmer for a time? Or am I thinking of the tv show?) Of course, the wolfskin is strongly linked to the Bolton flayed man and their ancient practice of flaying Starks and making cloaks of their skin. But Theon resolves the standoff between Stiv and Robb by shooting Stiv with an arrow - a hunting weapon.

So Stiv is like Theon in wanting the direwolves to die. Maybe he is also like Theon in threatening to kill Bran. But Theon didn't kill Bran - and was it Theon or Ramsay who killed the miller's boys? Ramsay hunts human beings, but here Theon "hunts" a human being: Stiv. Specifically, Ramsay hunts women using packs of dogs and then names the dogs after women he has hunted. Stiv calls he direwolves dogs and Theon wants to let the direwolves kill Osha.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is that Stiv / Theon / Ramsay are all jumbled together in one sort of mosaic image in the traits displayed and in the foreshadowing contained in this scene. As you point out, the idea of "hunting the hunter" is played out symbolically by the turning of the tables with the Stark contingent going out to hunt animals, being threatened by the deserters and wildlings, and then regaining the upper hand and killing most of the wildlings. But the blurring of lines between hunter and hunted also seems to foreshadow that Ramsay / Theon arc. Within that arc, the lines are again blurred among Ramsay and Theon and Reek who swap identities as Ramsay sees fit. Robb, Bran, Theon and Ramsay also all claim the title of Prince of Winterfell (Robb is King in the North) at one point or another. Many jumbled identities as well as hunting, warring, murdering interactions among the players.

I don't want to wander too far away from the direwolf focus, but Robb sparing Osha can also be compared to Jon sparing Ygritte in their initial meeting.

Reading your summary, it also struck me for the first time that Theon's killing of Stiv is witnessed by Osha. We don't know anything about Stiv but I wonder whether this is where Theon causes the "kinslayer" offense that wildlings later accuse him of committing.

Archived