Six Pups in the Snow: A Direwolves Reread

Wonderful work on Bran V! I pretty much agree, so I don't have much to add, But I do, I found some stuff in the chapters between Eddard VII and Bran V.

Tyrion IV –Cat takes Tyrion to the Vale

“All his life Tyrion had prided himself on his cunning, the only gift the gods had seen fit to give, and yet this seven-times damned she-wolf had outwitted him at every turn.”

• Lyanna, Arya, and Sansa are called she-wolf (or a variation of it), so it’s a nice way to show a connection among the four of them.
  • Tyrion sees Cat as a Stark while Cat’s feelings on the subject are more complicated.
  • Tyrion’s feelings toward Cat while comparing her to a wolf aren’t complimentary. IIRC he’ll later do the same towards Sansa –referencing that Sansa is a Stark/wolf when feeling bitter towards her.

Arya III –Arya chases after a cat in the Red Keep.

Some stray thoughts:

• Many of Arya’s thoughts are about emulating animals.
  • And Arya’s attempt to warn Ned reminds of the direwolves trying to warn the Stark kids.

“She found the wall again and followed, blind and lost, pretending that Nymeria was padding along beside her in the darkness.”

• Arya III is one of my favorite chapters because every time I read it, there’s something new. There’s so much foreshadowing. A lot has already come to fruition. The quoted portion reminds me of what happens to Arya after being blinded –being lost in the dark yet able to plod on with some assistance from warging.
  • But even keeping things focused on this chapter, the quote shows how important Nymeria is to Arya despite the separation.

“Jon Snow, he’s in the Night’s Watch too, you must know him, he has a direwolf, a white one with red eyes.”

• Who needs a driver’s license when you have a direwolf? Seriously, using a direwolf to i.d. a person as a Stark does become a plot point. There may also be something to read into about when a Stark doesn’t have a direwolf around to remind them about their heritage. Arya and Sansa who are the most separated from their direwolves are the ones who have to hide that they’re Starks the most. You also have instances of Robb and Jon’s more temporary separations from their wolves, but they also seem lose themselves a bit during those times.

Eddard IX –On his way back from the brothel, Ned encounters the Kingslayer.

“’The direwolf must be a prickly beast,” said Littlefinger with a sharp twist of his mouth.”

“’The wolves are howling,’ their leader [Jaime] said. Ned could see rain running down his face. ‘Such a small pack though.’”

• Once again we House Stark’s enemies referencing direwolves in an insulting manner.
  • Jaime’s insult is also a warning about the dangers facing a small pack, which is a nice segue into Bran V.

Hunters

When they want to go home, Robb decides to look for the direwolves in the wolfswood with a somewhat sinister suggestion:

“Let’s hunt down the hunters then,” Robb said.

The “hunters” are, of course, the direwolves. The direwolves also stand for House Stark though. Soon enough, these hunters (as they are “hunting down the hunters”) will be hunted down by a ragged group of outlaws. The sentence also brings back to mind Jaime’s attack on Eddard (lion versus direwolf), and it even foreshadows the hunt where Bran and Rickon will be the hunted, while the hunter will be Theon, who, with his bow and arrows and love of hunting, is the very image of a huntsman in this chapter.

The hunting theme is reinforced as they hear the howl of the wolves, which is this time directly compared to the wind:

They were on the far side when they heard the howl, a long rising wail that moved through the trees like a cold wind. Bran raised his head to listen. “Summer,” he said. No sooner had he spoken than a second voice joined the first.

“They’ve made a kill,” Robb said as he remounted. “I’d best go and bring them back. Wait here, Theon and the others should be along shortly.”

If the howling winds mean winter and the howl of the wolves means approaching danger, then this howl should perhaps be taken as a warning. The direwolves may have made a kill, but they may just as well be sensing the impending danger.

Note that the wolves are probably together – or at least in communication with each other. The Starks should follow their example, and Robb probably shouldn’t leave Bran alone, not even for a few minutes.

Theon Greyjoy sauntered closer. “Give her to the wolves,” he urged Robb.

…………………

“She’s a woman,” Robb said.

We see a marked difference here between Theon, who likes the sight of a dead enemy, and the Starks, who do not enjoy watching the carnage, not even when they have nothing to fear. The exchange also highlights Robb’s natural chivalry towards any woman and Theon’s obvious lack of it.

The discussion of hunting and hunters reminded me that House Tarly's sigil is a huntsman. Yet Samwell Tarly is one of the few characters who isn't afraid or hostile to the direwolves. Meanwhile, I agree with your assessment that Theon is the image of a huntsman. I'll even take it a step further and say Randyll Tarly would approve of Theon. Sam and Theon are such wonderful foils; I'm really digging the comparisons and contrasts between them.

I don't want to wander too far away from the direwolf focus, but Robb sparing Osha can also be compared to Jon sparing Ygritte in their initial meeting.

I agree Robb sparing Osha is comparable to Jon and Ygritte. Like Sandor, I consider Ygritte a direwolf substitute. So we'll see if Osha fits into that role too.

So Stiv is like Theon in wanting the direwolves to die. Maybe he is also like Theon in threatening to kill Bran. But Theon didn't kill Bran - and was it Theon or Ramsay who killed the miller's boys? Ramsay hunts human beings, but here Theon "hunts" a human being: Stiv. Specifically, Ramsay hunts women using packs of dogs and then names the dogs after women he has hunted. Stiv calls he direwolves dogs and Theon wants to let the direwolves kill Osha.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is that Stiv / Theon / Ramsay are all jumbled together in one sort of mosaic image in the traits displayed and in the foreshadowing contained in this scene. As you point out, the idea of "hunting the hunter" is played out symbolically by the turning of the tables with the Stark contingent going out to hunt animals, being threatened by the deserters and wildlings, and then regaining the upper hand and killing most of the wildlings. But the blurring of lines between hunter and hunted also seems to foreshadow that Ramsay / Theon arc. Within that arc, the lines are again blurred among Ramsay and Theon and Reek who swap identities as Ramsay sees fit. Robb, Bran, Theon and Ramsay also all claim the title of Prince of Winterfell (Robb is King in the North) at one point or another. Many jumbled identities as well as hunting, warring, murdering interactions among the players.

I don't want to wander too far away from the direwolf focus, but Robb sparing Osha can also be compared to Jon sparing Ygritte in their initial meeting.

Reading your summary, it also struck me for the first time that Theon's killing of Stiv is witnessed by Osha. We don't know anything about Stiv but I wonder whether this is where Theon causes the "kinslayer" offense that wildlings later accuse him of committing.

Seams, the “mosaic image” foreshadowing a later swap of identities is a very exciting observation.

Theon does not kill Bran, but in this scene he can see him taken hostage, a situation Theon can clearly relate to. I wonder if his smile (which still irritates Bran) this time has something to do with this fact… His observation that “A dead enemy is a thing of beauty” sounds somewhat ambiguous in hindsight.

Theon suggests feeding Osha to the direwolves despite the awful carnage that has just taken place and despite the fact that Osha has yielded. It seems he does not realize the true horror of this idea (giving humans to predator animals as prey) before he experiences how Ramsay hunts human beings with dogs, before he is in a situation where he can also become prey.

This blurring of lines between hunter and hunted could also symbolize how society works in general. Human predators prey on human victims, but any predator can fall prey to a stronger predator any time.

Robb sparing Osha and Jon sparing Ygritte: Both Robb and Jon were brought up by Ned (who would never approve of execution by direwolves). Technically, Theon was brought up by him, too, but since he does not consider Ned a father figure (there is no bond of love between them), he does not try to emulate him.

I agree Robb sparing Osha is comparable to Jon and Ygritte. Like Sandor, I consider Ygritte a direwolf substitute. So we'll see if Osha fits into that role too.

That will be an interesting angle to consider when we get to the Jon-Ygritte storyline. :)

Thanks for the direwolf observations regarding the “in-between” chapters.

wow just caught up.....what Great Reading! I've always been attracted to the wolfy storyline thanks for the wonderful insights looking forward to more :drool:

Welcome!

This is a very nice reread you've put together. Congrats!

On the hunters becoming the hunted there's a high level bit of foreshadowing in that the symbolic direwolves, the Stark children, are going to become the hunted ones. This is probably most true with regard to the Boltons. We even have a wearing a wolf skin reference here which seems to fit with the Bolton flaying history.

“Yet I’m told there’s nothing like a wolfskin cloak to warm a man by night.”

Cersei also wanted Lady's pelt and Roose goes wolf hunting.

But the other two had only been pups. Lord Bolton gave orders for the skins to be sewn into a blanket for his bed. “Cubs still have that soft fur, my lord,” one of his men pointed out. “Make you a nice warm pair of gloves.”

I've always liked Osha's character and she is the interesting one in this lot. The two deserters seem to be rangers who clearly know about the White Walker threat (I can't see how two stewards would hook up with two spearwives.) They display a rather typical disdain for nobles we see often elsewhere in the series and they seem intent on stealing a bit of coin or other valuables with little regard to the long term consequences. Hali seems a raider and of a very similar mindset.

Osha is clearly fleeing because she's afraid. Her thoughts of selling Bran to Mance show she's still emotionally invested in her home, but terrified of the Other threat. She also displays a certain sense of honor and mercy in that she wants only the horses and the venison. That also helps show how her primary concern is survival. There's a certain pragmatism in her choice too. Steal a horse or two and a deer from the Starks and they might send out a party to hunt for you. Kidnap or kill a Stark and an army will hunt you. There's also the difference in punishments for the two crimes should one get caught.

The other interesting thing about Osha is how terrified she is of these direwolves relative to the future choices she makes and the advice she will give Bran. Given the timeframe here I imagine Mance made it back from the Winterfell feast with tales of the six children of Ned Stark each having a direwolf. Wildlings are familiar with wargs and Osha has to be pretty sure all these Starks are wargs by the end of this encounter. Her attitudes will parallel the undertones of Ghost at the Wall that Mormont eventually comes out and explicitly says:

“I think you were meant to be here, and I want you and that wolf of yours with us when we go beyond the Wall.”

There seems to be an attitude amongst the old gods believers that these direwolves have a power that can stand in opposition to the walking dead. That's better left to future chapters where Bran and Osha actually have those discussions, but it is worth noting the terror that is her starting point with these wolves.

“Osha, kill the wolves and get his sword.”
“Kill them yourself,” she replied. “I’ll not be getting near those monsters.”

“Give her to the wolves,” he urged Robb. The woman’s eyes went to what was left of Hali, and just as quickly away. She shuddered. Even the guardsmen looked queasy.

Theon's line about a dead enemy being a thing of beauty is also used by Tyrion to Tywin regarding Mandon Moore's death after the Blackwater. Nothing direwolf relevant comes to mind from it though.

Osha's fealty to Robb is worth keeping in mind for the future too.

She threw down her spear. “Mercy, m’lord,” she called to Robb.
“Give me my life, m’lord of Stark, and I am yours.”
“Mine? What would I do with an oathbreaker?”
“I broke no oaths.
Stiv and Wallen flew down off the Wall, not me. The black crows got no place for women.”

Curious that Theon witnesses this first pledge of fealty to the Starks.

On Robb's sparing Osha, the Stark children seem to have two "beheading" scenes each that refer back to Ned's lessons on First Men justice. Robb spares Osha and beheads Karstark. Jon spares Ygritte and beheads Slynt. Arya spares Sandor and... well she has quite a list, but Dareon seems to be her First Man justice kill. Sansa is more complicated and so far more metaphorical (I suspect her whole LF ordeal is a long First Men justice parallel.) Sansa is the one without a wolf and so far the one without First Men beheadings to her name.

Seams, the “mosaic image” foreshadowing a later swap of identities is a very exciting observation.

Theon does not kill Bran, but in this scene he can see him taken hostage, a situation Theon can clearly relate to. I wonder if his smile (which still irritates Bran) this time has something to do with this fact… His observation that “A dead enemy is a thing of beauty” sounds somewhat ambiguous in hindsight.

Theon suggests feeding Osha to the direwolves despite the awful carnage that has just taken place and despite the fact that Osha has yielded. It seems he does not realize the true horror of this idea (giving humans to predator animals as prey) before he experiences how Ramsay hunts human beings with dogs, before he is in a situation where he can also become prey.

This blurring of lines between hunter and hunted could also symbolize how society works in general. Human predators prey on human victims, but any predator can fall prey to a stronger predator any time.

Robb sparing Osha and Jon sparing Ygritte: Both Robb and Jon were brought up by Ned (who would never approve of execution by direwolves). Technically, Theon was brought up by him, too, but since he does not consider Ned a father figure (there is no bond of love between them), he does not try to emulate him.

Your mention of Theon's irritating (to Bran) smile reminded me of Theon's beloved horse, Smiler, who will be set on fire when Ramsay sacks Winterfell and takes Theon hostage. I had been pondering Theon and Smiler again recently when someone brought up in another discussion this line spoken by Stannis:

Which would you have as Lord of Winterfell, Snow? The smiler or the slayer?”

— JON IV, A DANCE WITH DRAGONS

Although Stannis talking about marrying one of his bannermen to the "wildling princess" Val and setting up the new couple as lords of the North, to me the "smiler or the slayer" alludes to two other characters we have seen: Theon is associated with the word "smiler," and Samwell Tarley is called "the slayer." I'm not sure yet how this fits with the scene we are analyzing here. Like Robb sparing Osha and Jon sparing Ygritte, maybe it's just another sign of the interwoven events in Robb (or maybe Bran's?) and Jon's storylines. Or maybe Ramsay is the slayer in this arc and there are different smilers and slayers in Jon's storyline. That would make sense, as Ramsay displaces Theon as "Prince of Winterfell."

Something to put on the back burner until we get further along in the reading perhaps. File away under "mosaic image."

This is a very nice reread you've put together. Congrats!

On the hunters becoming the hunted there's a high level bit of foreshadowing in that the symbolic direwolves, the Stark children, are going to become the hunted ones. This is probably most true with regard to the Boltons. We even have a wearing a wolf skin reference here which seems to fit with the Bolton flaying history.

“Yet I’m told there’s nothing like a wolfskin cloak to warm a man by night.”

Cersei also wanted Lady's pelt and Roose goes wolf hunting.

But the other two had only been pups. Lord Bolton gave orders for the skins to be sewn into a blanket for his bed. “Cubs still have that soft fur, my lord,” one of his men pointed out. “Make you a nice warm pair of gloves.”

I've always liked Osha's character and she is the interesting one in this lot. The two deserters seem to be rangers who clearly know about the White Walker threat (I can't see how two stewards would hook up with two spearwives.) They display a rather typical disdain for nobles we see often elsewhere in the series and they seem intent on stealing a bit of coin or other valuables with little regard to the long term consequences. Hali seems a raider and of a very similar mindset.

Osha is clearly fleeing because she's afraid. Her thoughts of selling Bran to Mance show she's still emotionally invested in her home, but terrified of the Other threat. She also displays a certain sense of honor and mercy in that she wants only the horses and the venison. That also helps show how her primary concern is survival. There's a certain pragmatism in her choice too. Steal a horse or two and a deer from the Starks and they might send out a party to hunt for you. Kidnap or kill a Stark and an army will hunt you. There's also the difference in punishments for the two crimes should one get caught.

The other interesting thing about Osha is how terrified she is of these direwolves relative to the future choices she makes and the advice she will give Bran. Given the timeframe here I imagine Mance made it back from the Winterfell feast with tales of the six children of Ned Stark each having a direwolf. Wildlings are familiar with wargs and Osha has to be pretty sure all these Starks are wargs by the end of this encounter. Her attitudes will parallel the undertones of Ghost at the Wall that Mormont eventually comes out and explicitly says:

“I think you were meant to be here, and I want you and that wolf of yours with us when we go beyond the Wall.”

There seems to be an attitude amongst the old gods believers that these direwolves have a power that can stand in opposition to the walking dead. That's better left to future chapters where Bran and Osha actually have those discussions, but it is worth noting the terror that is her starting point with these wolves.

“Osha, kill the wolves and get his sword.”

“Kill them yourself,” she replied. “I’ll not be getting near those monsters.”

“Give her to the wolves,” he urged Robb. The woman’s eyes went to what was left of Hali, and just as quickly away. She shuddered. Even the guardsmen looked queasy.

Theon's line about a dead enemy being a thing of beauty is also used by Tyrion to Tywin regarding Mandon Moore's death after the Blackwater. Nothing direwolf relevant comes to mind from it though.

Osha's fealty to Robb is worth keeping in mind for the future too.

She threw down her spear. “Mercy, m’lord,” she called to Robb.

“Give me my life, m’lord of Stark, and I am yours.”

“Mine? What would I do with an oathbreaker?”

“I broke no oaths. Stiv and Wallen flew down off the Wall, not me. The black crows got no place for women.”

Curious that Theon witnesses this first pledge of fealty to the Starks.

On Robb's sparing Osha, the Stark children seem to have two "beheading" scenes each that refer back to Ned's lessons on First Men justice. Robb spares Osha and beheads Karstark. Jon spares Ygritte and beheads Slynt. Arya spares Sandor and... well she has quite a list, but Dareon seems to be her First Man justice kill. Sansa is more complicated and so far more metaphorical (I suspect her whole LF ordeal is a long First Men justice parallel.) Sansa is the one without a wolf and so far the one without First Men beheadings to her name.

Ragnorak, welcome to the reread! :) It’s great to see you posting here!

Osha’s behaviour during the attack makes it clear that she is not intent on killing, especially not intent on killing a child if it can be avoided. (That is another reason why Robb does the right thing when he spares her: She does not deserve death.) It’s an intriguing observation that Osha may not simply be afraid of the direwolves as very dangerous wild animals but as magical animals, perhaps as animals belonging to the old gods. In this respect, killing the direwolves may not only be difficult but also a sin; while pledging fealty to the Starks also means she remains faithful to the old gods even south of the Wall.

The mercy Robb shows towards Osha makes it possible for Bran and Rickon to survive later. Had he listened to Theon, Bran and Rickon would have lost a very valuable supporter, who was instrumental in saving their lives. Osha calls Robb “m’lord of Stark”, which he soon will be. Symbolically, sparing Osha can be regarded as Robb’s very first action as Lord Stark, and it turns out to be a deed that ensures the survival of his brothers and of House Stark.

Your mention of Theon's irritating (to Bran) smile reminded me of Theon's beloved horse, Smiler, who will be set on fire when Ramsay sacks Winterfell and takes Theon hostage. I had been pondering Theon and Smiler again recently when someone brought up in another discussion this line spoken by Stannis:

Although Stannis talking about marrying one of his bannermen to the "wildling princess" Val and setting up the new couple as lords of the North, to me the "smiler or the slayer" alludes to two other characters we have seen: Theon is associated with the word "smiler," and Samwell Tarley is called "the slayer." I'm not sure yet how this fits with the scene we are analyzing here. Like Robb sparing Osha and Jon sparing Ygritte, maybe it's just another sign of the interwoven events in Robb (or maybe Bran's?) and Jon's storylines. Or maybe Ramsay is the slayer in this arc and there are different smilers and slayers in Jon's storyline. That would make sense, as Ramsay displaces Theon as "Prince of Winterfell."

Something to put on the back burner until we get further along in the reading perhaps. File away under "mosaic image."

Seams, this smiler and slayer find – just wow. Amazing. Just let me add that the slayer must be Ramsay. Sam the Slayer has nothing to do with Winterfell, and the options Stannis mentions to Jon are meant to be both bad ones. Ramsay is quite obviously a slayer – even a kinslayer. If I remember correctly, he kills his half-brother, Bolton’s true-born heir.

Ragnorak, welcome to the reread! :) It’s great to see you posting here!

Osha’s behaviour during the attack makes it clear that she is not intent on killing, especially not intent on killing a child if it can be avoided. (That is another reason why Robb does the right thing when he spares her: She does not deserve death.) It’s an intriguing observation that Osha may not simply be afraid of the direwolves as very dangerous wild animals but as magical animals, perhaps as animals belonging to the old gods. In this respect, killing the direwolves may not only be difficult but also a sin; while pledging fealty to the Starks also means she remains faithful to the old gods even south of the Wall.

The mercy Robb shows towards Osha makes it possible for Bran and Rickon to survive later. Had he listened to Theon, Bran and Rickon would have lost a very valuable supporter, who was instrumental in saving their lives. Osha calls Robb “m’lord of Stark”, which he soon will be. Symbolically, sparing Osha can be regarded as Robb’s very first action as Lord Stark, and it turns out to be a deed that ensures the survival of his brothers and of House Stark.

Seams, this smiler and slayer find – just wow. Amazing. Just let me add that the slayer must be Ramsay. Sam the Slayer has nothing to do with Winterfell, and the options Stannis mentions to Jon are meant to be both bad ones. Ramsay is quite obviously a slayer – even a kinslayer. If I remember correctly, he kills his half-brother, Bolton’s true-born heir.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Most of the really interesting stuff about Osha will unfold in future chapters. Her starting perspective of the wolves is what gets established here and that's a terrible fear of White Walkers and the supernatural force that drives them and a first hand experience of being on the receiving end of this direwolf attack.

We don't get a tremendous amount of explicit feedback about the direwolves or at least how others tend to perceive them. A big part of that is that our POVs tend to have direwolves. Here we learn that the guards are queasy and a servant pukes when coming upon the scene, but what does that mean? How do they feel? What do they believe about these wolves?

We get a tremendous amount of talk about the antler that killed the direwolf mother being a sign. Cat reflects on it and it is gossip all around Winterfell. Oddly we never hear about Ned Starks children, even the bastard named Snow, all getting direwolf pups from that same ominous omen. There's Summer's howling that seemed to keep Bran alive, Summer saving Bran's life from the hired knife, and now this rescue. The people around Winterfell and the greater North where these rumors spread have to think something. In the opening of the chapter the man drops the firewood and most everyone else has grown used to the sight but we have to infer what that means.

Had this been a completely uneventful ride, the talk in the common room of the Smoking Log would have been mostly laughing at or about the man who dropped the firewood. What would that have looked like? How is it changed by the attack and this strange wildling woman prisoner they've brought back? What are the people saying as they drink in the ale house the night after Bran V ends? I suspect saving Bran again makes a big impact and the wildling being left alive and shown mercy somewhat mitigates the horrors of how the others died-- stands in contrast to the savagery associated with these animals.

The hunting theme is reinforced as they hear the howl of the wolves, which is this time directly compared to the wind:

They were on the far side when they heard the howl, a long rising wail that moved through the trees like a cold wind. Bran raised his head to listen. “Summer,” he said. No sooner had he spoken than a second voice joined the first.

“They’ve made a kill,” Robb said as he remounted. “I’d best go and bring them back. Wait here, Theon and the others should be along shortly.”

If the howling winds mean winter and the howl of the wolves means approaching danger, then this howl should perhaps be taken as a warning. The direwolves may have made a kill, but they may just as well be sensing the impending danger.

Note that the wolves are probably together – or at least in communication with each other. The Starks should follow their example, and Robb probably shouldn’t leave Bran alone, not even for a few minutes.

This is curious. Summer howls first followed by Grey Wind. It is Grey Wind with the blood on him when the wolves show up so he's the one that made the kill, not Summer who howls first. Robb senses the kill that his direwolf made. Bran wants to come and has these vague feelings of unease once he's left alone. It can definitely be read as Summer's howl being a warning though even if Martin had this firmly in his mind he's left in deliberately ambiguous as he does with most magical portrayals. So one interpretation is that each Stark senses the meaning of the howl from his own wolf or that Robb subconsciously feels the kill the way the wolf senses subtly come through and misses the true meaning of the howl.

We see how the other wolves listen to other Starks that are not the warg partner but with limits. Robb calls back both wolves but only Grey Wind comes to his side. Summer halts at his command but won't back off from the man threatening Bran. We'll get more of this with Summer and Shaggy Dog later and eventually Jon will give us comparative material as he encounters other skin changers beyond the Wall. Is there a greater supernatural element at play with the human Stark pack and the direwolf pack or is it just the wolves sensing and respecting the more mundane emotional family bonds among the siblings?

• 3 weeks later...

This is curious. Summer howls first followed by Grey Wind. It is Grey Wind with the blood on him when the wolves show up so he's the one that made the kill, not Summer who howls first. Robb senses the kill that his direwolf made. Bran wants to come and has these vague feelings of unease once he's left alone. It can definitely be read as Summer's howl being a warning though even if Martin had this firmly in his mind he's left in deliberately ambiguous as he does with most magical portrayals. So one interpretation is that each Stark senses the meaning of the howl from his own wolf or that Robb subconsciously feels the kill the way the wolf senses subtly come through and misses the true meaning of the howl.

We see how the other wolves listen to other Starks that are not the warg partner but with limits. Robb calls back both wolves but only Grey Wind comes to his side. Summer halts at his command but won't back off from the man threatening Bran. We'll get more of this with Summer and Shaggy Dog later and eventually Jon will give us comparative material as he encounters other skin changers beyond the Wall. Is there a greater supernatural element at play with the human Stark pack and the direwolf pack or is it just the wolves sensing and respecting the more mundane emotional family bonds among the siblings?

In the previous Bran chapter, when the direwolves were unfriendly towards Tyrion, each Stark boy called back his own wolf, so yes, either the wolves are trained to obey one person only or it is part of the warg bond (without any training). On the other hand, Summer probably has a strong protective instinct, too, and he has already learned that Bran needs to be guarded and protected. He was with Bran when Bran fell, he apparently kept Bran alive while Bran was in a coma and he saved Bran's life when the assassin attacked him. Summer has quite a history of protecting Bran in real danger so he won't leave his side now, whoever calls him. Grey Wind's first duty is towards Robb, however.

I'm sorry for the delay. Hopefully, RL has gotten itself back to the status quo, and I will have the next post up by the end of the day. Thank you so much for your patience!

Looking forward to your post. :)

Robb says to Bran in Bran POV V, Book I AGoT: "Still . . . the honor of the north is in my hands now. When our lord father took his leave of us, he told me to be strong for you and for Rickon. I'm almost a man grown, Bran."

Bran thinks this as Robb guides Dancer over the stream and water sprays in Bran’s face: “It made him smile. For a moment he felt strong again, and whole.”

In the following actions performed by Robb, Martin “maybe” revealing that a pre-warging connection is occurring between Robb and Grey Wind, demonstrated by Robb’s uncanny physical strength; if Bran can grow “stronger” physically through his connection to Summer [bran’s heart beats stronger when the window in his sick room is opened so that he can hear his wolf sing], then maybe Robb is gathering strength through Grey Wind that allows him to lift an elk unaided and hoist the corpse over his gelding’s back.

Robb leaves Bran alone to check out the kill that the direwolves have made.
Robb says specifically to Bran that he will locate the direwolves “faster by myself”, which indicates to me that Robb is not in the company of others when he locates the direwolves and their kill: "I'll find them faster by myself." Robb spurred his gelding and vanished into the trees.

Robb returns to find Bran surrounded by two women and four men who are threatening him, demanding that Bran hand over his silver pin.

"Put down your steel now, and I promise you shall have a quick and painless death," Robb called out.
“Bran looked up in desperate hope, and there he was. The strength of the words were undercut by the way his voice cracked with strain. He was mounted, the bloody carcass of an elk slung across the back of his horse, his sword in a gloved hand.”

Truthfully, I do not think Robb is gone any longer than fifteen minutes. When he returns, Robb has an elk slung across his gelding; obviously the direwolves took down the elk.
Robb is fifteen, and nowhere has Martin indicated that Robb has the superhuman strength of a Jean Valjean. How does Robb hoist a dead body of a rather large animal on the back of his gelding with no assistance? Martin does not indicate that the elk is a calf, and I am assuming it has a rack that indicates it is an elk as opposed to a deer, stag, or buck. Even yearlings are a good size – not easily lifted up by one person to sling over a horse.
In Vol.II of the graphic novel AGoT, the art that depicts Robb on horseback with the dead elk may be exaggerated – but the elk is near the size of Robb’s gelding. In the HBO series, the elk is a good size as well.
To add to this troubling “inconsistency” is that whenever blood is spilled near the horses in countless other scenes, the horses rear, buck, toss their rider, and often bolt. Yet Bran and Robb’s mounts have no such reaction when Robb, Grey Wind, and Summer attack the six ill-reputes in the wolfswood, causing such a bloody scene that Maester Luwin is shocked and a Stark retainer is so sickened he vomits.

The Wiki says the following regarding size and weight of an average cow and bull: “Elk cows average 225 to 241 kg (500 to 530 lb), stand 1.3 m (4.3 ft) at the shoulder, and are 2.1 m (6.9 ft) from nose to tail. Bulls are some 40% larger than cows at maturity, weighing an average of 320 to 331 kg (710 to 730 lb), standing 1.5 m (4.9 ft) at the shoulder and averaging 2.45 m (8.0 ft) in length.[19][20] . . . The smallest bodied race is the Tule elk (C. c. nannodes), which weighs from 170 to 250 kg (370 to 550 lb) in both sexes.”[22] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk

So, maybe Martin is “hinting” at a pre-warg bond forming between Robb and Grey Wind through Robb’s excessive strength? And what power is “whispering” to the horses to keep them calm?

Not only would lifting a dead elk be difficult, but horses do not easily accept the dead body of an animal on their backs unless it is quartered and packaged. Horses as a rule can give a rider some difficulty, like "not" standing still while a dead animal is positioned so that it will not slide off?

I also do not think Robb had time to gut and bleed out the elk, unless the direwolves only left "part" of an elk, and ate the rest????

Lastly, Grey Wind’s performance during the battle is impressive; he takes down more of the offenders than any other combatant. Likewise, Robb demonstrates his prowess as a warrior, and he and Grey Wind fight side by side, joined by a common cause. Robb’s aggressiveness during the fight mirrors Grey Wind’s aggressiveness.

Thus, through Robb’s actions, Martin may be suggesting that Robb and his direwolf are uniting symbolically if not literally, with Robb drawing from Grey Wind’s strength, his aggressiveness, and his “wolf” spirit.

Setting a definite deadline, what was I thinking? This is probably going to be long, so I'm going to break this up into a few posts.

Ragnorak and evita mgfs, welcome and thank you! Julia H., thank you as always for the boost of confidence!

In the previous Bran chapter, when the direwolves were unfriendly towards Tyrion, each Stark boy called back his own wolf, so yes, either the wolves are trained to obey one person only or it is part of the warg bond (without any training). On the other hand, Summer probably has a strong protective instinct, too, and he has already learned that Bran needs to be guarded and protected. He was with Bran when Bran fell, he apparently kept Bran alive while Bran was in a coma and he saved Bran's life when the assassin attacked him. Summer has quite a history of protecting Bran in real danger so he won't leave his side now, whoever calls him. Grey Wind's first duty is towards Robb, however.

Looking forward to your post. :)

I'm also of the opinion that the direwolf to their respective Stark relationship trumps all other relationships including those to their sibling wolves and other Starks. We saw Nymeria wanting to follow Ghost, but she stayed with Arya. We've seen Shaggydog keep Grey Wind and Summer away from Rickon. Whether it's due to the warg bond or normal training... It's probably safest to say it's a combination of both.

In the following actions performed by Robb, Martin “maybe” revealing that a pre-warging connection is occurring between Robb and Grey Wind, demonstrated by Robb’s uncanny physical strength; if Bran can grow “stronger” physically through his connection to Summer [bran’s heart beats stronger when the window in his sick room is opened so that he can hear his wolf sing], then maybe Robb is gathering strength through Grey Wind that allows him to lift an elk unaided and hoist the corpse over his gelding’s back.

Wow, I had never thought of any of this! It makes sense. And I think it's important to note that Robb's warg skills are developing, and I think they continue to continue to grow at a rate comparable to Jon's skills until he takes the arrow at the Crag.

Tyrion V

Tyrion demands trial by combat.

Eddard X

Ned dreams about the tower of joy and is reaffirmed in his position as Hand.

Cat VII

Tyrion’s trial by combat

Jon V

Summary

Thorne announces who is ready to take their vows. Jon ponders his future and pays a visit to Maester Aemon

Observations

• Jon’s lack of appetite contrasts with Ghost’s need to hunt.
  • Jon has gotten comfortable with letting Ghost be on his own.
  • When Jon goes to see Maester Aemon, no mention of whether Ghost is with him.
  • Ghost is mostly relegated to the background.

Analysis

“A deep restlessness was on him as he went back to Hardin’s Tower for Ghost. The direwolf walked beside him to the stables. Some of the more skittish horses kicked at their stalls and laid back their ears as they entered. Jon staddled his mare, mounted, and rode out from Castle Black, south across the moonlit night, Ghost raced ahead of him, flying over the ground, gone in the blink of the eye. Jon let him go. A wolf needed to hunt.”

“Ghost returned as he crested a rise and saw the distant glow lamplight from the Lord Commander’s Tower. The direwolf’s muzzle was red with blood as he trotted beside the horse.”

• Unlike the decisions Jon will make at the end of AGOT and ASOS respectively, Ghost doesn’t really seem directly involved in Jon’s thought process. Ghost’s hunting seems to be more of a parallel to Jon mulling over his future in that Jon is trying to find out what is satisfy him the way food fills Ghost’s needs. I think mentioning that the direwolf’s muzzle is red with blood sets up the tone of for the rest of chapter that Jon has mentally replenished himself.

“’I [Aemon] often spend half the night with ghosts…So tell me, Jon Snow, why have you come calling at this strange hour?”

• Here we have another reason for why Ghost is aptly named.
  • Another example of an ASOIAF dream foretelling the future

“’Animals seem to like him [sam]. Ghost took to him straight off.'”

• Unlike Sam, other animals don’t seem to like direwolves. Horses act skittish. There was the stag in Bran I and the dog confrontation in Jon I. It’s fairly common in fantasy stories to have animals act uneasy around the supernatural. But I also see the other animals’ uneasiness as symbolic of the Starks gaining enemies. Just in this chapter alone, Jon makes another enemy in Chett.
  • I like how Jon is lending Sam the respect he earned through Ghost.
  • Jon using Ghost as part of his argument to Aemon provides a contrast with how Jon used Ghost to intimidate Rast into not bullying Sam. It’s good to see Jon finding alternative ways to use Ghost’s talents.
  • I consider Ghost’s attitude toward Sam not just a reflection of Jon’s friendship but also as an indication of Sam having importance to the old gods/Bloodraven.

Tyrion VI

Tyrion and Bronn travel the High Road and encounter the Hill Clans

Observation

There isn’t anything direwolf related in this chapter, but something that stuck out to me were the potential similarities among Shagga and Rickon and Shaggydog.

The name

Shagga son of Dolf. The names Shagga and Shaggydog are similar and become even more similar when the nickname Shaggy is used. Dolf rhymes (or could rhyme with depending on your pronounciation) with wolf or could be considered direwolf with some letters missing.

Skins

I know everyone is using animal skins for clothing –even the “civilized” characters. However, Shaggy being dressed in skins is explicitly mention. Of course when I think of being dressed in skins, I think of skinchanging, Cersei wanting (and Ned denying her) Lady’s pelt, and the Bolton obsession with skins –wolf and human.

Catchphrase

The catchphrase of “chop off your manhood and feed it to the goats” reminded me Shaggy fighting a “goat” in ADWD.

I don’t know if any of this is supposed to mean anything, or I’ve really gone off the reservation. But I thought of these things, specifically in regards to Rickon, because it seems like everyone is envisioning Rickon as being very similar to Shagga and the others when he comes back on the scene.

Eddard XI

Ned holds court.

Ned wears “Black and white and grey, all the shades of truth.”

• They’re also the colors of the direwolves (minus brown, which rarely gets mentioned). It seems fitting for him to be wearing colors representing his children (could even extend that to colors representing the kids he tries to protect, not just those of his blood). It’s also symbolic of the unity he represents, which also dies with him.

Sansa III

Ned tells his daughters he’s sending them back to Winterfell.

• Sansa defends the Hound, and there quite a few references to Lady. So we have both Sandor becoming more and more like a direwolf substitute while Sansa still misses and mourns Lady.
  • The other thing in this chapter is when Sansa is describing her and Joffrey’s potential children, she attributes the trait of bravery to the wolf, and which if IIRC remains a consistent attribute in Sansa’s chapters –see her thoughts on her brothers, Kettleblack’s words on her wedding day.

Eddard XII

Ned confronts Cersei in the godswood.

No direwolf references, but the gods being present is a major motif that continues in Ned and Jon’s chapters.

Daenerys V

Viserys receives his golden crown.

Eddard XIII

Robert returns from hunting.

“He was walking through the crypts beneath Winterfell… The Kings of Winter watched him pass with eyes of ice, and the direwolves at their feet turned their great stone heads and snarled.”

• It feels similar to when Ned was in the crypts back in Eddard I. The difference being the Kings of Winter are no longer blind, and the direwolves are actually snarling and moving instead of the shadows making it seem like they do.
  • I'm torn between this dream symbolizing it being too late for Ned or whether it was his last warning to avoid his fate.

“…as he [Ned] was pressing the direwolf seal into the soft white wax.”

• Does anyone recall if it’s more common for sealing waxes to be the background color of the House banner rather than the device color? Regardless, Ned using a white wolf instead of grey wolf to seal the letter stands out to me because the white wolf is Jon’s symbol. Something I’ve long wondered is whether Ned identifies more with Jon than with the children of his body, not just in looks and personality but also as a fellow outsider. Ned feels guilty and uneasy about his place in a way Robb, Sansa, Bran, Rickon, and arguably Arya don’t. We already knew from Eddard I and Catelyn II that Ned still thinks of Brandon as the rightful heir and everything belonged to him. Even in this chapter, he feels uneasy among his ancestors. Is this a consequence of being fostered in the Vale? Despite being best friends with Robert, and many other people, did he feel like an outsider due to cultural, religious, and/or personality differences? Did he feel like an outsider among his siblings when he came back to Winterfell? Or is it due to something else?

Jon VI

Summary

The newest brothers of the Night’s Watch receive their assignments. Jon and Sam venture beyond the Wall to swear their vows in front of the old gods.

Observations

• Like in the past two Ned chapters, the presence of the gods, especially the olds gods is a big theme.
  • Sam’s choice to take his vows in front of the old gods seems to stem from his awareness of Jon sticking up for him and arranging his advancement. While he says the Seven never answered his prayers, I think he recognized the old gods’ authority through his friendship with Jon and Ghost.
  • This is the first chapter where I can recall any sort of tension between Jon and Marsh.

Analysis

“Marsh turned his smile on Jon.”

If Ramsay's the slayer, then Marsh is the smiler. IIRC, in ASOS, Jon describes Marsh as "amiable enough," so being a "smiler" seems to be a considerable part of Marsh's character.

“The Lord Steward’s garron whickered and backed away from the direwolf. ‘Do you mean to take that beast?’"

• I was wrong in thinking Thorne would be the only senior member of the NW that would have a problem with Ghost.
  • It's such a simple line that I never paid much attention to before, but there is so much foreshadowing. GRRM definitely knew where he was taking Marsh since AGOT.
“The dried sap that crusted in the eye was red and hard as ruby… And suddenly Ghost was back, stalking softly between two weirwoods. White fur and red eyes, Jon realized, disquieted. Like the trees…”

• This passage feels like a culmination of a lot things we’ve discussed. We finally have a direct comparison between Ghost’s eyes and rubies. Ghost really is a synthesis of Stark and Targaryen symbolism.
  • When he said the old gods sent the wolves to the Starks in Bran I, I think Jon was just using any argument he could think of. This chapter is the first time where I think Jon really believes the old gods sent the wolves.

• Does anyone recall if it’s more common for sealing waxes to be the background color of the House banner rather than the device color?

As far as I can remember sealing wax is always the background color. The background is the primary color of the family and is used more prominently - like in weddings. The device color is only really used when referring specifically to the device.

As far as I can remember sealing wax is always the background color. The background is the primary color of the family and is used more prominently - like in weddings. The device color is only really used when referring specifically to the device.

Thanks! I think you're right. Boltons have been using pink. I think there was mention of blue wax for Arryn. And so on. What has been nagging me is that I couldn't remember if what was the color of the seal Stannis used when wrote back to Jon about Deepwood Motte or whether Jon mentioned a grey wolf seal when he thinking about how Lyanna Mormont would respond to a letter from Jon Stark.

Ned wears Black and white and grey, all the shades of truth.

Eddard XIII

He was walking through the crypts beneath Winterfell The Kings of Winter watched him pass with eyes of ice, and the direwolves at their feet turned their great stone heads and snarled.

• I'm torn between this dream symbolizing it being too late for Ned or whether it was his last warning to avoid his fate.
  • as he [Ned] was pressing the direwolf seal into the soft white wax.

Thank you for giving us lots to think about! I never put much thought into the clear disapproval being expressed toward Ned in this crypt dream. Jon gets the, "You don't belong here" message in one of his crypt dreams, and we guess its because of the secret of his paternity. But why would Ned get that kind of vibe from Stark ancestors? As you point out, maybe the dream comes from Ned's self-consciousness about having taken Brandon's rightful place as Lord of Winterfell. It seems like there's more to it, though. The stone portraits are no longer blind but have eyes of ice. Particularly in close association with Ned, an ice reference seems like an allusion to the sword. So that could be foreshadowing of Ned's fate. But ice eyes kinda seem WhiteWalker-ish, don't they? I wonder whether there's foreshadowing here about an extra layer of Ned's fate, after his death? Lady Dustin tells us later that Ned's bones have not yet made it to Winterfell, after Catelyn viewed them at Riverrun. Or maybe the Stark ancestors and the stone direwolves are expressing their disapproval that Ned has broken up the pack: by getting involved in the Baratheon legitimacy issue, Ned is putting his own pups at risk.

My reading of the white wax on the letter is that it refers back to the passage you cite describing black/white/grey as shades of truth. Ned knows this letter carries the truth.

Jon VI

• This is the first chapter where I can recall any sort of tension between Jon and Marsh.
Marsh turned his smile on Jon.

If Ramsay's the slayer, then Marsh is the smiler. IIRC, in ASOS, Jon describes Marsh as "amiable enough," so being a "smiler" seems to be a considerable part of Marsh's character.

Excellent! So we seem to have a smiler/slayer pair in Ramsay and Theon, and another smiler/slayer pair in Bowen Marsh and Sam Tarly. In the former pair, the slayer is the worse bad guy. In the latter pair, the smiler (Marsh) will end up being what seems like a bad guy, while the slayer (Sam) is a loyal best friend who only slays White Walkers. So far, at least. I wonder whether there are others of these pairs in the books, and are they all in the North in and around Jon's storyline?

Thank you for giving us lots to think about! I never put much thought into the clear disapproval being expressed toward Ned in this crypt dream. Jon gets the, "You don't belong here" message in one of his crypt dreams, and we guess its because of the secret of his paternity. But why would Ned get that kind of vibe from Stark ancestors? As you point out, maybe the dream comes from Ned's self-consciousness about having taken Brandon's rightful place as Lord of Winterfell. It seems like there's more to it, though. The stone portraits are no longer blind but have eyes of ice. Particularly in close association with Ned, an ice reference seems like an allusion to the sword. So that could be foreshadowing of Ned's fate. But ice eyes kinda seem WhiteWalker-ish, don't they? I wonder whether there's foreshadowing here about an extra layer of Ned's fate, after his death? Lady Dustin tells us later that Ned's bones have not yet made it to Winterfell, after Catelyn viewed them at Riverrun. Or maybe the Stark ancestors and the stone direwolves are expressing their disapproval that Ned has broken up the pack: by getting involved in the Baratheon legitimacy issue, Ned is putting his own pups at risk.

• This dream opens the Ned chapter after the his confrontation with Cersei in the godswood, which many regard to be Ned's biggest mistake, so in a way it's not surprising Ned is getting disapproval from his ancestors, like you say they know he put the Starks at risk. Those harsh kings of winter (and Cregan Stark) wouldn't approve of how Ned is handling the situation.
  • I also think the dream, as well the toj dream, are not entirely a product of Ned's subconscious. I think Bloodraven is sending the dreams. The reason why I wonder whether these dreams represent Ned's last chance is because I don't think it's a coincidence that these dreams are about Jon's heritage and are (probably) being sent by the guy who is the "Jon Snow for King" campaign manager. It does feel like the dreams want Ned to take action in regards to Jon. I don't believe Bloodraven is in control of everything, but I do think he has very specific objectives to fulfill and that he does have control over when and how he intervenes in a situation. If Ned decided to reveal Jon's heritage and crown him, then perhaps Bloodraven would've saved him --let Bran remember Jaime shoving him off the tower, leading Arya to the Black Cells, or something. Alas, Ned was always going to be an obstacle to Jon being king, so Bloodraven had to sacrifice him.
  • Yes, the ice eyes are ominous. Bolton eyes are described as dirty ice. There's also Brandon Ice Eyes, who seemed like a very harsh figure even in comparison to other kings of winter.

Excellent! So we seem to have a smiler/slayer pair in Ramsay and Theon, and another smiler/slayer pair in Bowen Marsh and Sam Tarly. In the former pair, the slayer is the worse bad guy. In the latter pair, the smiler (Marsh) will end up being what seems like a bad guy, while the slayer (Sam) is a loyal best friend who only slays White Walkers. So far, at least. I wonder whether there are others of these pairs in the books, and are they all in the North in and around Jon's storyline?

Don't forget Royce's contemptuous smiles, and Arya trains in front of a mirror to command her smile and call it forth like a servant, which she does in a later WoW gift chapter.

There's also Jaime who could be considered both "smiler" and "slayer," and I predict he's going to have a huge role in the northern storyline.

Archived