SciFi/Steampunk series for fan of Wheel of Time?

Switchback the Second

WoT has been my favorite series and I find that I continue to return to it over and over because most of the fantasy series I pick up pale in comparison. Now, this is just personal taste to be clear, there are obviously many wonderful fantasy series and I don't want to get into a pissing match about the pros and cons of WoT.

But since I'm struggling to find something in fantasy to keep my attention, I'd like to try a huge scifi series, or a steampunk one (if it exists). But I like the high canvas of WoT, with hundreds of characters, a rich and interesting history to the world, ancient secrets, a bunch of competing factions with their own plots and manipulations, politics, etc. Are there comparable series in scifi with a similar feel?

But since I'm struggling to find something in fantasy to keep my attention, I'd like to try a huge scifi series, or a steampunk one (if it exists). But I like the high canvas of WoT, with hundreds of characters, a rich and interesting history to the world, ancient secrets, a bunch of competing factions with their own plots and manipulations, politics, etc. Are there comparable series in scifi with a similar feel?

I'm not sure if Jordan ever commented on it, but I've suspected that Dune might have been a big influence on him. The Aes Sedai and the Aiel feel a bit reminiscent of the Bene Gesserit and the Fremen. Dune certainly has a large cast of characters, plenty of background history and many competing factions.

I like the high canvas of WoT, with hundreds of characters, a rich and interesting history to the world, ancient secrets, a bunch of competing factions with their own plots and manipulations, politics, etc. Are there comparable series in scifi with a similar feel?

Julian May's Saga of Exiles might be worth a try.

You would think the standard Stanek/Goodkind/InsertShittyAuthor recs would be old by now, no? Are there any posters left on this board who actually find those funny?

Anyway, thanks for the recs. I've always meant to read the entire Dune series (read the first one years and years ago), so now may be a good time for that. That May series sounds really interesting too.

You would think the standard Stanek/Goodkind/InsertShittyAuthor recs would be old by now, no? Are there any posters left on this board who actually find those funny?

Anyway, thanks for the recs. I've always meant to read the entire Dune series (read the first one years and years ago), so now may be a good time for that. That May series sounds really interesting too.

The same ones that actually read and follow the Rec sticky threads find it hilarious

It'll never get old.

Besides. I thought your op was troll bait, with its wot theme. Those books are bad bad bad.

How about Hamilton? He seems to be the king of the long, epic sf series. And he has a new book coming out soon based in his Commonwealth universe, which I note has 2 finished series already. Any parallels in there, or in his Night's Dawn series?

this is actually a great call given the reasons you like WOT. Hamilton is epic and sprawling and goes into as many side plot details as Jordan minus the braid tugging. Start with Night's Dawn trilogy.

How about Hamilton? He seems to be the king of the long, epic sf series. And he has a new book coming out soon based in his Commonwealth universe, which I note has 2 finished series already. Any parallels in there, or in his Night's Dawn series?

Yes, Night's Dawn would definitely fit; haven't read his other stuff yet.

Mievilles Bas-Lag stuff is good.

Brilliant, but I wouldn't consider it to be very WoTish... (though I'm only three books in to WoT so far)

I just now finished reading WoT's The Eye of the World. I was five books into the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and I was starting to get a little weary of the darkness. Ice and Fire is dark but Malazan can get ridiculous. I wanted to try something back to basics and decided to finally get around to WoT. I find myself wondering if I should move onto the second book or find a new series. EotW was good, but wow, was it familiar and I often found certain facets of Jordon's writing to be a bit annoying. The war of the sexes stuff was tiring and contrite and Rand Al'Thor made for a pretty bland protagonist. I guess in that sense I've been spoiled by Martin, Erikson, Rothfuss and others. Having Jordan's clothing descriptions in place of Martin's food descriptions or Tolkien's scenery descriptions was not quite as engaging.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but Trollocs (Orcs), Fades (Nazghul), and Draghkar (Fell Beasts) were not overly frightening. There were definitely some better moments in EotW, but I've never read anything thus far that was so brazenly derived from Tolkien. I want to give the series a chance. Does it get any better?

EotW is definitely a Tolkein riff. The series deviates from that path significantly and even includes a definite Dune riff a few books later.

In much the same way you can't judge Malazan on its first book, I'd give WoT at least through book two or three before writing it off.

There were definitely some better moments in EotW, but I've never reead anything thus far that was so brazenly derived from Tolkien.

Read Sword of Shannara, then come back to WoT; you'll appreciate it a lot more ;) There's less of a focus on Rand in the next couple of books.

Archived