Diplomacy: Midlands Turn 2 Months 4-6(Spring)

Lord Syv Aldlark

Sending Cleon Demetrius to squire for Lord Prime

The mighty Prime looks forward to leal service from this squire, he'll need it to defeat the deceptors... :D

Send Danelle Perrey to marry Optimus Prime

The great Lord Prime also needs his bed warming, ruling these cold islands can be lonely work, and the locals all have the heads of fish...and the bottoms as well, the worst kind of mermaid.

Thanks.

Lord Robert buries his father: "He lived a long and joyful life, I'll live up to his legacy and lead our House to honor and success."

1/1 rent to House Rylland

Return Payne Hall to House Rylland

2/2 Build a food castle at Thurrock

2/0 Build a goldmine at Thurrock

Lord Robert leads some participants to the new tourney:

Duel with Sword: Lord Robert, Theon, Edmure, Damion

Fist Fights: Lord Robert, Theon, Edmure, Damion

Should any squire wish to participate in the tournament as well, they are free to do so.

Additional orders:

2/2 Build a food castle at Glitterdell

2/0 Build a goldmine at Glitterdell

You misunderstand; the host isn't able to confirm or deny trades, its part of the intricacy of the game; you can't know for sure whether someone is working with you. If there is a confirmation then you run into problems like when are you allowed to cancel trades, and in general makes it way harder to back stab people. This is Diplomacy and the game of thrones, its all about back stabbing and uneasy alliances slurms lol

2/2 to colonize Old Wyk.

Give Sealskin point to House Shadestone.

Give 2/2 to House Shadestone.

Send Asha Wyndseer to Crown Crag, to marry Emric Perrey.

Welcome Maeve Perrey to Pebbleton and marry her to Fitz Wyndseer.

2/2 to colonize Ashemark.

You misunderstand; the host isn't able to confirm or deny trades, its part of the intricacy of the game; you can't know for sure whether someone is working with you. If there is a confirmation then you run into problems like when are you allowed to cancel trades, and in general makes it way harder to back stab people. This is Diplomacy and the game of thrones, its all about back stabbing and uneasy alliances slurms lol

Oh sorry, my bad, I misunderstood. I thought you were just having a go at people for not understanding the game.

I'm finding Syv's confirmations very helpful as I'm learning the ropes.

Oh sorry, my bad, I misunderstood. I thought you were just having a go at people for not understanding the game.

I'm finding Syv's confirmations very helpful as I'm learning the ropes.

No worries the most important thing is still to teach you guys how to play and it's still early game. Just wanted to make a reminder about one of the game's more important rules ;D

I will. I longer be telling people what they can or can't do via resources. If someone has a question I will answer in pm. But if you do something and it isn't possible I will not just tell you after this point..

I will continue to confirm trades via pms. To me trades are instantaneous. That's what allows someone to give someone a plot of land and 2/0 and then that person can spend and build on that plot the same turn.

I will no longer be confirming trades to the sender. This will eliminate any worry about people finding out about secret trades the turn of. The sent resource will float in limbo unless they realize and then will we put back into savings.

New turn should be up in 3-4 hours once I'm done with work

I will. I longer be telling people what they can or can't do via resources. If someone has a question I will answer in pm. But if you do something and it isn't possible I will not just tell you after this point..

I will continue to confirm trades via pms. To me trades are instantaneous. That's what allows someone to give someone a plot of land and 2/0 and then that person can spend and build on that plot the same turn.

I will no longer be confirming trades to the sender. This will eliminate any worry about people finding out about secret trades the turn of. The sent resource will float in limbo unless they realize and then will we put back into savings.

New turn should be up in 3-4 hours once I'm done with work

That gives way too much strength to alliances; there are supposed to be inherent risks involved with trading and making such alliances, and confirming trades just greases the gears of larger alliances. Trades aren't instantaneous, they happen during the levy phase or another of the phases as I see it. The game of diplomacy is all about sending orders and not knowing the results, also confirming trades is just more work for the host. Trades also are secret while the gifting of lands must needs be a board public action

I hate to be such a stickler, but a lot of the rules were designed with this stuff in mind and are that way for a reason. The host should have little to no input to give a player aside from simple questions and examples and friendly conversation, they are just a conduit for the players and act as game master when the rare need arise

I don't see the point of confirming to the receiver and not the sender, as the sender would already know they sent it lol...

In the end the choice is of course the host's, but the game already lends enough to alliances without keeping at least a few layers of subterfuge. The game was made this way for a reason, otherwise every game will be the same as the last, with large polarizing alliances and a clash between two sides, rather than a many faced and sided game as Diplomacy is at heart. By confirming trades and moving of nobles, you take away two more tools of guile and push it ever closer to a game of war and hop-on-the-bandwagon

Tldr; Leo thinks this is a very important rule in regards to the spirit of the game and asserts that trades should remain totally secret. Large alliances need layers of bureaucracy like secret trades

TLDR, don't make trades with Leo. ;)

ETA: I think the main reason Syv was pointing things out was for the new folks, who are still getting the hang of things, and he said already that he'd do it via PM instead of the thread from now on.

For new players is one thing, but he also said he was confirming trades by pm, and that's an old rule was my point

Leo honors all his agreements and arrangements, and fought to the death for his allies last game ;D

Who is Primus btw, I know he's an old hand at this but I can't figure it out with the name change lol

Archived