Captain America 3: Civil War -- Hang onto your Underoos

Bastard of Boston

• 2 weeks later...

First, never read the comics. Only watched the movies. So, please be gentle... :)

Also, if this has been already brought up, please refer me to the appropriate post. The entire "Civil War" plot, doesn't it seem A BIT too much like X-men 2? Registration of superheroes, two sides... I mean, what's the catch with this? What's new?

First, never read the comics. Only watched the movies. So, please be gentle... :)

Also, if this has been already brought up, please refer me to the appropriate post. The entire "Civil War" plot, doesn't it seem A BIT too much like X-men 2? Registration of superheroes, two sides... I mean, what's the catch with this? What's new?

That Civil War has the tier 1 heroes fighting against each other. X2 had Stryker and a few mind-controlled mutants plus some villains teaming up. Imagine instead if Wolverine, Cyclops and Jean had disagreed irreconcilably with Professor X, Storm and Rogue, and all the heroes had split between their factions and gone to war. X-Men 2 was resolved by having Stryker, the villain, lose. Here, one faction of main heroes has to lose.

That Civil War has the tier 1 heroes fighting against each other. X2 had Stryker and a few mind-controlled mutants plus some villains teaming up. Imagine instead if Wolverine, Cyclops and Jean had disagreed irreconcilably with Professor X, Storm and Rogue, and all the heroes had split between their factions and gone to war. X-Men 2 was resolved by having Stryker, the villain, lose. Here, one faction of main heroes has to lose.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case... 

One of the differences is that in X-Men, that's all part of the racism allegory that franchise has going on, whereas with Civil War, it's played more as a security-vs-freedoms issue. It's still not exactly an original idea though, given that it's been done in everything from Watchmen through to the Incredibles.

I always found it interesting that Cap and Stark took the stances they did, given ther characters. I'd expect Cap to be pro-registration in order to make the security of the people easier. And I'd expect Stark to be anti-registration, for the reasons Cap is anti (freedom of choice and valuing freedom over security).

I always found it interesting that Cap and Stark took the stances they did, given ther characters. I'd expect Cap to be pro-registration in order to make the security of the people easier. And I'd expect Stark to be anti-registration, for the reasons Cap is anti (freedom of choice and valuing freedom over security).

People usually see this, but in the comics it's clear why they pick the sides they do.

Captain America is about freedom, etc. This is the complete opposite of freedom, especially since they pretty much force him to agree or go to jail. 

Stark, on the other hand, is a guy that thinks about the future. He thinks this is the best course of action for the future and his survival, which is being pro-registration. 

In the movies, i agree they make the choices a bit weirder, but in the comics it's pretty clear. 

cap is not and has never been a security guy other than in the ultimates. He is the ideologue, and would preach Ben Franklin to you.

Tony stark is about being practical.

Iron Man 2 Stark certainly didn't look very pro registration ... I think they've had this planned for a good while, which is why Cap 2 leaves Cap with a deep mistrust of institutions, and Age of Ultron leaves Stark with a strong sense of how dangerous people can be when left unchecked.

I'm still praying Agents of SHIELD is finally given some slack to build up properly to Civil War, it's make or break for me. If they can't tie in effectively with a widespread dispute that SHIELD is at the centre of, what's the point?

I wouldn't have thought early-movies Stark would be in favour of registration, but I can definitely see "I want to put a suit of armour around the world" Stark from AoU coming around to that way of thinking.

On top of that there's my pet theory of Tony finding out that Hydra killed his parents, and that Bucky was the one to actually do the deed. Stark wants revenge, Steve wants to save Bucky, now you have personal as well as ideological conflict.

Stark is in favor of the SHRA because Stark is in charge.

Also, I think it was confirmed in Winter Soldier that Bucky killed the Starks.

It's a shame though that T'challa and Tony don't already know each other well enough for this to happen: http://comicsalliance.com/files/2012/07/pantherslap.png

Probably just as well. I don't think the world is ready for a black man from Africa slapping a white American industrialist.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case... 

as a non comic-fan, I've been thinking this, I also think that X2 is too recent to be remade just yet (not that that ever stops Hollywood).
It's a good base story, but will need to be done well to overcome the obvious similarities. Non comic-fans won't really care that it he primary characters instead of secondary.

as a non comic-fan, I've been thinking this, I also think that X2 is too recent to be remade just yet (not that that ever stops Hollywood).
It's a good base story, but will need to be done well to overcome the obvious similarities. Non comic-fans won't really care that it he primary characters instead of secondary.

Just to be clear, inside the current X-Men Universe,  did X2 happen? i know that Days of the future past led X3 to oblivion but did it also change X2 events?

I think this might be different. Here we talk about real Civil War where people choose sides, and in X-men it wasn't difficult to know who the good guys are. So, choosing sides in this one might be more problematic.

Just to be clear, inside the current X-Men Universe,  did X2 happen? i know that Days of the future past led X3 to oblivion but did it also change X2 events?

I think this might be different. Here we talk about real Civil War where people choose sides, and in X-men it wasn't difficult to know who the good guys are. So, choosing sides in this one might be more problematic.

This is entirely the wrong thread, but: Days of future past happened in '73 and affected every mutant character, and Stryker. So everything set after that will have been affected. Meaning X-Men, X2, X-Men: TLS, Origins:Wolverine and The Wolverine. First Class is the only one unaffected. No one will remember the events of those six films, except for Wolverine when he gets to the point he wakes up at the end of DoFP (but he will also forget everything that happened to him between '73 and then,) and what parts Xavier picked up from his mind. Although we know that Wolverine will still likely go through Weapon X, as Mystique was pretending to be Stryker and hinting at it.

• 2 months later...

really liked Iron Man's line ''You think I accept limitations? We're no better than bad guys.''.

I heard it as, "If we can't accept limitations, we're no better than bad guys." 

However, I didn't think the trailer was shot that well. There were a couple of cool scenes, mostly at the start, but a lot of it seemed too zoomed-in, too jarring and hard to see. There was not really a sense of epicness, which I'm hoping the later trailers will provide since it's meant to be a pretty huge event, right? :P

Maybe... this is a Captain America movie rather than explicitly an Avengers movie, so they may be playing it from a more personal perspective. It's a huge event, but our view of it may only be on a smaller scale.

Relate to Leap in the sense that it seemed to lack scale while simultaneously scoring points for personality. Remember, folks, the Civil War was a kinda stupid storyline with epic scope and ideas... I know I'll be grading Marvel on a curve with this one where I haven't previously.

When is the Black Panther movie due? I'll google it when I get a chance, but I do hope it's before this film so people know who the fuck he is.

Archived