ASOIAF plot taken from Babylon5

Beorn121

I haven't watched Babylon 5 but this thread got me interested in reading that link and that link is very interesting.

It is possible that Babylon 5 and ASoIaF are based on a similar mythology and this Norse mythology of Ragnarok, which I don't know too much about, is basically an eco tale - the corrupted gods and men must be cleared from the world so it can flourish anew - which is very much in line with where I see ASoIaF heading.

And yes, Fire and Ice is classic 80s Swords and Sorcery.

There's a comment, supposedly from GRRM, that someone has figured out the entire plot of ASOIAF and already posted it online. My best guess is this post, or one very like it. Far too many coincidences, at the very least he's been massively influenced by it if not lifting the plot entirely.

I suppose that depends on what you think the 'plot' actually is. Because the first three are more based on history than any other fantasy/sci fi influences. The later two are still very much influenced by that but there is a noticable move towards the magical/fantastical. But to say his plot was "lifted" from Babylon 5 is probably the wrong conclusion. It seems as if that show did much more obvious lifting than he's done.

There's a comment, supposedly from GRRM, that someone has figured out the entire plot of ASOIAF and already posted it online. My best guess is this post, or one very like it. Far too many coincidences, at the very least he's been massively influenced by it if not lifting the plot entirely.

He said something along those lines but not "the entire plot." He said the ending, which isn't the former. And for me, the Ragnorak theories rely on too much coincidences and stretching of terms and people to match up.

He said something along those lines but not "the entire plot." He said the ending, which isn't the former. And for me, the Ragnorak theories rely on too much coincidences and stretching of terms and people to match up.

Yea, I don't think all characters have been matched up perfectly or that all character endings will be exactly the same - but the broader idea, wow - I don't think there is a better way he could end it, even if he tried.

The Ice/Jon/Frost Giants and Fire/Dany/Serpent do work essentially together but not in a way that anyone would be expecting. And The Winds of Winter, followed by A Dream of Spring - that could very well be Ragnarok and the new dawn.

I like it more than any other idea I've read. I'd give GRRM more kudos for successfully pulling off a Ragnarok ending then just about anything else I can think of.

Yea, I don't think all characters have been matched up perfectly or that all character endings will be exactly the same - but the broader idea, wow - I don't think there is a better way he could end it, even if he tried.

The Ice/Jon/Frost Giants and Fire/Dany/Serpent do work essentially together but not in a way that anyone would be expecting. And The Winds of Winter, followed by A Dream of Spring - that could very well be Ragnarok and the new dawn.

I like it more than any other idea I've read. I'd give GRRM more kudos for successfully pulling off a Ragnarok ending then just about anything else I can think of.

It's the idea that it's a song of ice and fire, not a conflict between the two but a harmony, that blew my mind first time I read it. He's definitely lifted the basic mythology and transferred it into the books, and I'm pretty damn sure that Jon is being set up as the next Nights King. Not totally convinced the Jamie is AA, probably taking things a little too literally.

I suppose that depends on what you think the 'plot' actually is. Because the first three are more based on history than any other fantasy/sci fi influences. The later two are still very much influenced by that but there is a noticable move towards the magical/fantastical. But to say his plot was "lifted" from Babylon 5 is probably the wrong conclusion. It seems as if that show did much more obvious lifting than he's done.

Yeah true. Better to say that the political and cultural plot around the fight for the Iron Throne takes it's cues from medieval history, particularly the war of the roses. However the magical/mystical plot, which lets face it will predominate in the next two books, seems directly lifted from Ragnarok.

Yeah true. Better to say that the political and cultural plot around the fight for the Iron Throne takes it's cues from medieval history, particularly the war of the roses. However the magical/mystical plot, which lets face it will predominate in the next two books, seems directly lifted from Ragnarok.

I've got a feeling Jamie is Odin, matching in with Cersie's Frigg and the final battle. Also, Stannis may be Thor - which might make Stannis fans think they have something to smile about, until they read bits of Ragnarok :D

Lets begin with that B5 copied names and plot from lord of the rings. that is well known and they dont try to hide it.

The idea of bran connected to the tree and being able to see everything in the kingdom is taken from there - drall and the machine that projects his concienceness to the universe.

I haven't actually seen Babylon 5 (though I probably will, at some point), but I believe the Bloodraven plot (and possibly the one you compare it to in B5) is really based on Odin from ancient Norse myth (with Bloodraven himself being Odin):

1) Connection to ravens (Odins Huginn and Muninn gathered information for him).

2) The giant tree, tree network or world tree (Yggdrasil).

3) The source of knowledge being at the roots of the tree (Mímisbrunnr, which Odin drank from to gain knowledge).

4) One of Bloodraven's eyes had a root through it, while Odin had to sacrifice one eye to the well in exchange for his knowledge.

etc

I haven't actually seen Babylon 5 (though I probably will, at some point), but I believe the Bloodraven plot (and possibly the one you compare it to in B5) is really based on Odin from ancient Norse myth (with Bloodraven himself being Odin):

1) Connection to ravens (Odins Huginn and Muninn gathered information for him).

2) The giant tree, tree network or world tree (Yggdrasil).

3) The source of knowledge being at the roots of the tree (Mímisbrunnr, which Odin drank from to gain knowledge).

4) One of Bloodraven's eyes had a root through it, while Odin had to sacrifice one eye to the well in exchange for his knowledge.

etc

Yeah I think the allusions are smashing us in the face, GRRM doesn't really do subtle. The Others are Craster's sons, Bran is the bound wolf, Bloodraven is Loki. If he wants to make an allusion clear he's very straightforward.

I think the basic premise that the CotF are behind all this and will use Bran to unite the dragons and the Others to destroy the kingdom of men and rid Westeros of the Andal seven is correct. Who will oppose Bran/Jon/Mel in the final battle is less obvious.

Yeah I think the allusions are smashing us in the face, GRRM doesn't really do subtle. The Others are Craster's sons, Bran is the bound wolf, Bloodraven is Odin. If he wants to make an allusion clear he's very straightforward.

I think the basic premise that the CotF are behind all this and will use Bran to unite the dragons and the Others to destroy the kingdom of men and rid Westeros of the Andal seven is correct. Who will oppose Bran/Jon/Mel in the final battle is less obvious.

Bran=Fenrir? Really???

Norse prophecy: from [Fenrir] great mischief and disaster would arise

So something can be predestined to be bad? That's the whole point of Fenrir as a character, he becomes bad because he was prophesied to be bad. No one gave him a chance to be good.

And the great mischief and disaster is exactly what those who bind or prejudge someone deserve - they get to reap what they have sown. You judge me bad, I'll show you bad, kind of thing.

Bran is written a lot more sympathetic than Fenrir but I can see that the overarching story is there. Bran's life was judged too harshly by Jamie, so (when Bran skinchanges into a dragon and burns them all - that's my personal take :D ), Bran will feel resolved of his judgement. EDIT - but he'll die for it, just like Fenrir.

Archived