Dating #18 - You might be a big fish in a little pond

someone ive had a major crush on for years and who is a good friend ND ONE of my favouritie people just told me im the coolest person theyve ever come acrosss ND atheyre engaged so why pick NOW to tell me that o god i had to go to my flat mates room lie on her bed and have a good cry damnit

Butting my head in again in this thread, just to say that this is a moment that you should (later on) appreciate, because it's a moment of all honesty, and truthful appreciation of who you are. I've been in that situation once. It sucked so so much at the time, but take the good stuff, hold your head high, and leave it with a feeling of being awesome. As you should.

So is this the norm now, the face-to-face interaction goes out the window when you break up with someone? I can understand with LDR relationship but I'd still prefer a phone call, rather than an email, text or post-it note.

breakups sure as hell don't happen in person anymore. I'm one of the only people in my social grow who still talks on the phone, let alone prefers breakups that way.

Theda, you're fucking awesome. It is known.

It is known.

PS I guess you could say I told my husband I was leaving him via text message. Considering our final face-to-face discussion ended with him blocking me from leaving the house while he screamed in my face I stand by that decision.

Yeah and I think people are getting too hung up over this "break up over text" thing. In reality, when people make the initial connections via instagram or FB or snapchat or any number of digital media, it seems perfectly legit to break up using some of these media. At least for the relatively short-lived relationshinps, like a month or two of casual dating. When both sides have invested more into the relationship then yeah, texting does seem a bit inadequate.

Being mad at the method in which someone breaks up with you is just misdirected hurt and anger at being broken up with. The ego no like.

I also hate telephones and refuse to use it unless there is no other option.

I can see plenty of situations where a phone or text would be fine to break up even a once serious relationship, especially if one partner has been unfaithful, absent, abusive, or if physical distance is involved.

Beyond that, in most typical situations, especially if you keep clothes and a toothbrush at my house, in person seems like the appropriate way to do it.

Personally I think text/social media would be appropriate if either it was LDR or if the relationship wasn't serious or it was casual or whatever, as long as there is a proper reason. I mean if I was married 10 years and my husband texted me saying 'I wanna divorce you' I'd want to shove my hand down his throat and pull his guts out for not being man enough to talk to me face to face. Serious relationships merit that, at least, from my point of view. And it would seem cowardly.

Being dumped will always suck, but there's still ways that are worse than others. I think if you're dumping a person solely because you're not that into them, and not because of something obvious to both parties (like cheating), you should do it in person or over the phone and actually explain yourself. I think if the relationship is serious at all, the person getting dumped is entitled to that minimal amount of respect.

Being dumped will always suck, but there's still ways that are worse than others. I think if you're dumping a person solely because you're not that into them, and not because of something obvious to both parties (like cheating), you should do it in person or over the phone and actually explain yourself. I think if the relationship is serious at all, the person getting dumped is entitled to that minimal amount of respect.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm God's own original coward and I always end things in person.

Archived