The Ultimate Irony: Sansa & Tyrion

Queen.Sansa.Lannister

(Before I start this topic, yes, I "ship" Sansa/Tyrion. I know that is far from a popular concept here but please go easy on me.)

As readers, we seem to have come to the consensus that Sansa's arc is one of her coming into her own and being in control of her own destiny. This comes with the ability to choose who to love and marry (or remain married to).

I know many will choose this man to marry as Sandor, being the opposite of the sort of man she used to dream of. But what if it's Tyrion, instead?

Tyrion/Sansa also has elements of the Beauty and the Beast story, and also has the added irony of Sansa learning to love a man from the family that essentially murdered her family.

Would this outcome not play into GRRM's habit of subverting tropes?

(And no, I do not think that Sansa need choose any man at all.)

Discuss!

I can't see it happening and I don't want it to happen. She doesn't like him, he doesn't particularly like her, and there's a lot of bad history between them. And the circumstances of their marriage are really disgusting so I have no idea why Sansa would chose to continue being married to him if she could get out of it unless there was a worse alternative.

This would play well into the subversion of the beautiful girl ending up with the handsome prince trope. Sansa grows up and learns that looks don't matter and chooses a man who will be good to her instead. However, that could work with other characters too, it wouldn't have to be Tyrion.

If there's anyone in this story that needs to get over the idea that they deserve nothing less than to be loved by a specimen of physical perfection, it's Tyrion, not Sansa. Sansa, at thirteen, is already WELL past that kind of bullshit. Why is it always Sansa who has to "learn to love"? Tyrion is a grown man and is still as shallow and entitled as he ever was. I will hate it if he gets the girl of his adolescent level dreams while remaining the bitter, hypocritical man that he is.

If there's anyone in this story that needs to get over the idea that they deserve nothing less than to be loved by a specimen of physical perfection, it's Tyrion, not Sansa. Sansa, at thirteen, is already WELL past that kind of bullshit. Why is it always Sansa who has to "learn to love"? Tyrion is a grown man and is still as shallow and entitled as he ever was. I will hate it if he gets the girl of his adolescent level dreams while remaining the bitter, hypocritical man that he is.

I thought toward the end of ADWD we were seeing that Tyrion was moving past that stage of his life. And I said nowhere that Sansa needed to "learn to love." She is my absolute favorite character and I think she is kind and compassionate and quite possibly the most loving character in the series.

ETA: I would also hate it if Sansa/Tyrion ended up being "Tyrion gets the pretty girl because he deserves her." But I think it will end up playing out in a different way.

Nobody said she has to "learn to love" just that she has to get over judging people based on their appearances and expecting a fairytale life. Which she does seem to be getting over.

Nobody said she has to "learn to love" just that she has to get over judging people based on their appearances and expecting a fairytale life. Which she does seem to be getting over.

I am pretty sure she abandoned those notions by the time of her marriage to Tyrion, yet she was still miserable with him.

Ugh, no. Tyrion is a horrible person and Sansa deserves better. The fact that Sansa ending up with Tyrion would be a "subversion" of a trope doesn't change the fact that Tyrion is perhaps the worst POV character in the series, second only to Victarion in terms of being outright despicable (and in some ways they're really neck-and-neck).

doesn't change the fact that Tyrion is perhaps the worst POV character in the series, second only to Victarion in terms of being outright despicable (and in some ways they're really neck-and-neck).

Cersei and Jaime say hi.

I know many will choose this man to marry as Sandor, being the opposite of the sort of man she used to dream of. But what if it's Tyrion, instead?

Tyrion/Sansa also has elements of the Beauty and the Beast story, and also has the added irony of Sansa learning to love a man from the family that essentially murdered her family.

Would this outcome not play into GRRM's habit of subverting tropes?

Exactly. Was my gut feeling all along. Would be very much GRRM-ish.

I can't see it happening and I don't want it to happen. She doesn't like him, he doesn't particularly like her, and there's a lot of bad history between them.

She does not really know him, because she did not bother to (not without reasons, but those reasons did not have anything to do with his personality). The same for him, he scarsely knows her. As for bad history, it was their families' history, not their own. They saw each other more as a member of an antagonistic House than as a person. Their personal relationship, good or bad, haven't started yet.

My sentiment exactly. And do not forget "nobody gets what he/she wants in GRRM world". If she dreamed all life about a beautiful knight, it can be expected for her to end up with an ugly person who is no knight. And, yes, willingly and for love.

If Sansa and Tyrion choose to remain married, it would be down to politics, not love. It may be possible, but I find it an unlikely end. But, I'll insist, it would have nothing to do with each character's looks or personality. It would be about their political position.

I'm a Tyrion fangirl and I would love to see them compare notes and "do the math" wrt Littlefinger, but I can't ship them as a couple.

While she's mentioned in text several times as seeing him as kind to her, he's still a Lannister and that's a political train wreck for her in the North and Riverlands where the Lannisters are still hated.

If Sansa and Tyrion choose to remain married, it would be down to politics, not love. It may be possible, but I find it an unlikely end. But, I'll insist, it would have nothing to do with each character's looks or personality. It would be about their political position.

My feeling is, it is going to be love, maybe even going against politics. The most unlikely love... but entirely possible.

Archived