Jaime will bring retribution upon the Freys

So I've been rereading Jaime's last chapter from AFFC, and there's some interesting stuff...

He asks for all the hostages by the king's behest. Maybe he wants to keep them safe so he can kill Lord Walder??

I think he plans to do so, but not personally, because Edwyn says ...

"My lord grandfather will expect recompense for these prisoners." to which Jaime thinks And he'll have it as soon as a grow a new hand. Obviously this could just mean he's not giving Lord Walder shit.

On the next page when Jaime's asking more about prisoners one of the freys say "We found a thousand corpses afterward. Once they've spent a few days in the river they all look much the same"

"I've heard the same is true of hanged men," said Jaime before he took his leave."

Okay I'm a big believer in Chekov's gun when it comes to GRRM's books, so I believe this little dialogue is not meaningless. It displays Jaime's disdain for the Freys and the red wedding, and also sets up a situation where it would have the hostages out of sight. With Jaime and Brienne heading for stoneheart as we speak in AWOW, I see it entirely possible that Stoneheart tasks the two of them with a little slaughter-some-freys mission at the twins. I'm a believer of the fact that it would be anti-climatic for stoneheart to just straight up murder Jaime. Maybe they both die trying to do this??

Thoughts?

It's possible, of course, but I fail to see how the quotes you have provided have anything to do with your scenario. Note that Chekhov's Gun is BS as seen by Robb's battle plans for Moat Cailin.

yeah good point, I guess there are some things that get put by the way side.

And I feel the hanged man quote just enforces Jaime's sentiment toward the freys and alludes to stoneheart

Yeah, those quotes don't seem to point to anything that Jamie is planing to take out the Freys.

In my opinion, he is disgusted by them, and should anyone (ie the Blackfish and BWB) go after them in force, I don't think he would care, or even lift a finger to help the Freys.

Maybe that is a thought for taking the hostages with him. Take away their shield and let them fend for themselves.

Jamie may not be at the head of any force to take out the Freys, but he also wont be at one to bail them out.

Jaime's treatment of the Freys present at the riverrun siege still stands as the third best put down on pages of that heinous family after Lady Stoneheart's epilogue hangings and Manderly's cheerful cannibalism. It's made with only snark rather than deathly force but on the plus side it's against a somewhat meaningful Frey instead of Red Shirts.

Which highlight the fact these guys have it way too easy so far rather than Jaime's willingness to destroy the Freys!

As a fan of Jaime and a hater of the Frey, it's nice to imagine him taking on Walder but that's really just wishful fantasies IMO.

I came up with this theory back in July but the forum swallowed my post. Except I added in that he *should* forsake his oath and claim his right to casterly rock and call all his banners to defend him and march on the Frey's to destroy them completely. That, would be too convenient of course. For him to uproot everything his father accomplished

Jaime has been a little careless, he has started to change but he still will pay for those mistakes. Now he's in the middle of the mess. The good thing is that he learns, he is not stubborn.

Not to mention he can't be happy that his name was tied into the Red Wedding (Jamie Lannister sends his regards) when he had nothing to do with it.

He didn't have anything to do with the Red Wedding, who could imaging such a nasty thing. But he knew Tywin and Roose were up to something, and that couldn't be anything nice for Robb Stark. He actually told Roose to send Robb his regards, but it was in a reckless and meaningless way.

"The Trident is in flood," he told Jaime. "Even at the ruby ford, the crossing will be difficult. You will give my warm regards to your father?"
"So long as you give mine to Robb Stark."
"That I shall."
(ASoS. 44, Jaime VI)

Jaime has been a little careless, he has started to change but he still will pay for those mistakes. Now he's in the middle of the mess. The good thing is that he learns, he is not stubborn.

He didn't have anything to do with the Red Wedding, who could imaging such a nasty thing. But he knew Tywin and Roose were up to something, and that couldn't be anything nice for Robb Stark. He actually told Roose to send Robb his regards, but it was in a reckless and meaningless way.

Roose Trollton is loose.

I think it's very clear, that he has very little respect for the Freys and wouldn't give a flying f**k if the House was destroyed. That being said. The quotes you provided, show very little in way of him personally having an open hand in the act. However; I fully expect that he will be used by LS, to either help retake Riverrun or free the hostages on their way to CL.

Honestly, I have idea who takes down Walder, the Freys and the Twins. In this series; we hardly see the ones wanting revenge actually getting it themselves. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Dany, is the one who burns the Twins to the ground.

If Jaime were to kill the Frey's house Lannister would loose all remaining credibility among their allies and make many more enemies Jaime is not a idiot. Im sure he dislikes the Frey's, pretty much everyone does however he won't be the one to kill them at least not without coercing

There is a pretty good theory that Catlyn will use Jaime to get into Riverrun for Davens wedding, I personally think Jaime would do almost anything to save Brienne.

Will he kill the one family member he still has a healthy relationship with though? I'm curious to see what he would do if he had to prove himself to LS and the BwB by not only helping massacre the wedding but personally execute his cousin.

Archived