Would House Stark or any other Northern houses adopt the phrase "The North Remembers" as their house words?

Robb_Warged

Clearly not the Starks because these group of Starks (Ned Stark and his kids) are not truly vengeful except for maybe Arya, but she can grow out of it because she is still young and there are 2 more books left to be written. Take for example in Robert's Rebellion, it was the Starks who suffered the most loss from the Targaryen King Aerys II and Ned did not command that all of the Targaryens should be slaughtered as payback for what the King did. He never believed in that. The King was deposed and that was the end of it, at least from Ned Stark's perspective.

But, I believe the Karstarks and some of the other houses would definitely alter their house phrases to the "North Remembers" or "The North Will Never Forget"

Where did the saying originate, anyway? There must've been an event that it references. Does anyone know/remember? Because I sure don't.

I'm pretty sure it was first said by Wyman Manderly

Quote-

My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home. - ADWD

Where did the saying originate, anyway? There must've been an event that it references. Does anyone know/remember? Because I sure don't.

I think Lord Manderly said it first when he was secretly talking to Davos as he (Manderly) was entertaining the Freys.

My son Wendel came to the the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter ... but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.

ETA: A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 29, Davos

If Lord Manderly is successful they should copyright it.

The saying is also why I think that Lady Barbrey is not for the Boltons

Barbrey: The north remembers, Frey.

A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 46, A Ghost in Winterfell (Reek VI)

House Royce already has "We remember" as their words.

I think they use it as knowledge of old pacts or lessons, Manderly and Barbery are using theirs as a motto of revenge on their territory and their family's.

I believe if a new House springs up or two houses are joined in marriage, it seems fitting for their house words: perhaps Wyman will marry his Wylla to Rickon in the future, and they will create a new sigil and new words, to remember all of the Starks and Manderlys who were killed by the enemies in the south. I hope so, anyway.

I'm pretty sure it was first said by Wyman Manderly

Quote-

My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home. - ADWD

I think Lord Manderly said it first when he was secretly talking to Davos as he (Manderly) was entertaining the Freys.

My son Wendel came to the the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter ... but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.

ETA: A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 29, Davos

Robb shook his head. "Even if Harrion were that sort, he could never openly forgive his father's killer. His own men would turn on him. These are northmen, Uncle. The north remembers."

Robb Stark already uses that phrase in ASoS, Chapter 20, Catelyn.

Archived