Where do you think the final battle for Westeros will take place?

Most people on the forums believe that at some point there's going to be a final, immense battle in TWOW or ADOS with one side as the ultimate winner who will take Westeros fro themselves. There is a lot of deliberation about who might be on which side, who is fighting whom, etc: possible contenders are Dany and her dragons, Aegon, Jon and the NW/Jon and the Starks, The Others, Stannis and his army, the Greyjoys, the Northerners, the Lannisters, and Dorne - and all kinds of combinations of who is allied with each other.

What I'm interested to know is where in Westeros (or Essos, I suppose) this great battle will take place, and why.

There are a few obvious potential locations:

King's Landing: an attack from the air by dragons, symbolically mirroring Aegon's orginal conquering

The Wall, or somewhere close: attack of the Others coming down on Westeros

The Neck: some sort of showdown between North and South

Dorne: perhaps if the Others are the enemy, everyone will run as far south as possible to escape winter and make their final stand there

Personally, I don't really know: I think KL or the Wall are the most likely places. I loved the idea in LotR that the two places where the major battles of Middle Earth were Gondor, as the War of the Ring marked the end of the Third Age and the dawn of the age of Men, with Minas Tirith as man's final stronghold (Tower of the Guard/Tower of the Watch), also known as the City of Kings.; and at the Black Gates of Mordor, with the final strengths of Middle Earth mustered in a last stand, attacking the source of evil head on. I'd like to see something like that in ASOIAF (making the Wall the most obvious place, if winter itself is the enemy)... but then, LotR is all about nobility, valour and the vanquishing of evil by the pure and good, something which Martin seems to be fervently rallying against, so who knows.

So, where do you think the battle is going to take place, and who is going to be fighting against who?

Either Winterfell or Storm's End. The names are just too full of meaning to not be important here. We got more history on the legend of Storm's End being built than any other castle in Westeros. Back-up choice is Starfall, but I'm hoping the humans don't get pushed that far south.

My money is on the neck since jon needs the strength of all the seven kingdoms to beat the others.something tells me the horn of joramun is going to be used plus how do you stop giant ice spiders from climbing over the wall since the wall is not gaurded at some points plus after everyone realises that the others are indeed the real threat they will all fall under the LC Snow for lesdership.

The last battle of the Second Dance will be in Dorne after fAegon dies and Dany tries to subdue the last stronghold of his cause. Arianne will be slain and the Martells will play a dear price. After that, Dany will go to conquer the KL where Cersei will still be the ruler but before she takes the city, things will go ugly and Cersei will start the wildfire plot. Dany will find the RK and the IT in ruins. Then, she will head North to deal with this last pretender (Jon) and then finally do something for the threat of the Others. She will be pregnant by then. Jon will avoid another useless war and he will warg into Drogo to prove his heritage. Dany will unwillingly bend knee to him and then she will die in childbirth. Jon will win a decisive battle against the Others near Winterfell.

The last battle of the Second Dance will be in Dorne after fAegon dies and Dany tries to subdue the last stronghold of his cause. Arianne will be slain and the Martells will play a dear price. After that, Dany will go to conquer the KL where Cersei will still be the ruler but before she takes the city, things will go ugly and Cersei will start the wildfire plot. Dany will find the RK and the IT in ruins. Then, she will head North to deal with this last pretender (Jon) and then finally do something for the threat of the Others. She will be pregnant by then. Jon will avoid another useless war and he will warg into Drogo to prove his heritage. Dany will unwillingly bend knee to him and then she will die in childbirth. Jon will win a decisive battle against the Others near Winterfell.

I doubt that. I think she will go North before going to KL, and Jaime's death is connected to Jon with his light going out (Jon knowing a light went out in his dream), and

"A cave lion? Direwolves? Some bear? tell me, Jaime What lives here? What lives in the darkness?"

“Doom.” No bear, he knew. No lion. “Only doom.”.

Interesting that Jaime doesn't think "no direwolf." The KG were described as "armored in snow" as well.

I don't think Jon will press his claim at the Wall, and I doubt he would confide in anyone about his heritage besides Val and Sam. But rather I think he would lead a retreat south after the Wall falls, to WF where Dany is headed to subdue the North.

I think WF is where the decisive battle against the Others will be fought as I think it was before hence the name of the ancient fortress.

As for the final battle in the war for the IT, I think it will be at the siege of KL if it could be called that.

Where the final battle for Westeros is a hard one to determine. However, who the players will be who play a hand in helping to defeat the Others will definitely be the Starks. Daenerys, will clearly have a hand in it.

Why I say the Starks is because it was the Starks who the Children of the Forest made the pact with in helping to defeat the Others the last time. Although they did not destroy them, they found a way to put them to sleep.

It was the 3 eyed raven who sought out Bran Stark(ned stark's son) to instruct him in the ways of Green Seeing and warging. The 3 eyed raven did not seek out anyone else but Bran Stark. I believe it has something to do with the name of Brandon Stark.

Brandon Stark aka Bran the Builder was the Stark who made the pact with the Children of the Forest and I believe that the Children of the Forest magically incorporated some of those greenseeing and warging abilities into his blood. Which probably explains why after the Others woke up that all of a sudden the Stark children are able to warg into their direwolves without them realizing what's going on.

As far as Bran Stark(ned Stark's son) I believe his abilities, no one else in Westeros can do except for Brynden Rivers (3 eyed Raven), has something to do with his name being Brandon Stark. Perhaps the Children of the Forest blessed the magic with ever whose name is Brandon Stark and if their blood is of the Starks.

I believe Daenerys's role has something to do with her ability to not be harmed by fire. What role this will be is unclear. Only GRRM knows. I think this role will be more significant than her role as using the dragons.

The dragons I believe will be controlled by Bran and perhaps Arya Stark because they've shown the abilities to warg into other creatures besides direwolves. In the case of Arya she was able to warg into a cat in Braavos and was able to see her teacher preparing to strike her with a stick. In fact, Arya was able to warg into her direwolf nymeria all the way in another continent.

I believe these were subtle clues from GRRM to the audience that there won't be any riding of the dragons this time. Perhaps maybe Daenerys but for the other 2 dragons, I believe GRRM is preparing us to see how dragons are controlled through warging.

But to answer the question I believe it will ultimately be in Westeros. I think the final battle may be Winterfell. The reason why I say Winterfell is because Winterfell was built by Bran the Builder. He was the same person who built the wall. The Wall contains magic from the Children of the Forest that will keep the Others out. It has not been stated in the books but I suspect that Winterfell contains the same magic to keep the Others out as well.

The only clue we may have is that the Starks always practice this saying, "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell.". I believe it is more than just having a Stark in command of Winterfell at all times, but I believe that it is a warning that the magic used to build Winterfell works only if their is a Stark when the Others break through the wall and head towards Winterfell. This I believe was told to Bran the Builder from the Children of the Forest. It is a warning.

There will be no other safe place in westeros outside the wall. The only places of refuge should the Others break through the wall will be to sail over to essos or Winterfell. And Winterfell must have a Stark present at all times.

I think the final battle will be at Winterfell.

Archived