Video Game Culture VI Justice for all... social or not

Darzin

Continue...

I consider myself a feminist and think Gamersgate is a load of bollocks.

That said if we are talking about Social Justice Warriors I use it as a pejorative for people like Suey Park and people like this who despite their liberal leftist credentials end up arguing that certain types of dance should be restricted based on race, like WTF? Social Justice Warrior is the commonly used term to describe such fools and so I use it. I have no problem with the concept of social justice or leftist goals of equality and believe women and minorities are less privileged than strait white males such as myself. But certain segments of the left and the tumbler crowd have bent so far left they have come around in a circle and can promote some pretty racist ideas. See the article I posted and Suey Park.

Is this as serious a hindrance to my life no not really, and it's nothing compared to what many women, minorities and LGBT people deal with daily. But it's still idiotic and I will mock such people for being fools who while screaming about privilege fail to check their own no one would care about Suey Park if she was a middle aged black man. As social justice warrior is the commonly used pejorative for such people I will use it.

You can use what terminology you like, but may I suggest instead that you go with something like "I think that's silly, because" or "I disagree, and here's why"? I don't begrudge you your right to disagree -- and god knows Salon is a pit these days -- but using the term "SJW" is going to get you viewed immediately as a nimrod because of where it comes from and who uses it.

I suppose the amount of qualifiers I had to put to not be lumped in with certain people says a lot. I just always viewed the term as one that referred to some of the more extreme elements of tumbler and the left in general but clearly that is not how its is being used in terms of gamersgate.

I suppose the amount of qualifiers I had to put to not be lumped in with certain people says a lot. I just always viewed the term as one that referred to some of the more extreme elements of tumbler and the left in general but clearly that is not how its is being used in terms of gamersgate.

Yeah, that's the problem. The context makes it obvious what the intent of the term SJW is here.

Does anyone else think, in a terrible awful way, that this whole debacle might end up being for the better in that perhaps the sheer depth of misogynistic threats of violence being unleashed might finally actually lead to some critical self-examination on the part of the gaming community about the types of people it tolerates and shelters?

I wonder about that sometimes.

Does anyone else think, in a terrible awful way, that this whole debacle might end up being for the better in that perhaps the sheer depth of misogynistic threats of violence being unleashed might finally actually lead to some critical self-examination on the part of the gaming community about the types of people it tolerates and shelters?

I think it's possible in the same way the kent state massacre did. But it's also possible it just gets glossed over.

I hope so. The only advantage of all this harassment and aggression being out in the open this time is that people will have more difficulty ignoring it as a normal and innocent part of the status quo. Although it will take a while to get people to change, and this certainly won't be the last time there is an outbreak like this.

Shryke,

Isn't the problem with that twofold?

First, they claim no one in "Gamergate" engages in harassment and threats. And, second, they claim the threats and harassment aren't important and that they distract from the real issue "game journalism ethics"? As such they continually deflect attention or deny the participation of the worst among them.

Shryke,

Isn't the problem with that twofold?

First, they claim no one in "Gamergate" engages in harassment and threats. And, second, they claim the threats and harassment aren't important and that they distract from the real issue "game journalism ethics"? As such they continually deflect attention or deny the participation of the worst among them.

That's why the aim is never to deal with the Gamergate people though.

Honestly, Gamergate is just a convenient name to paste on this group of people and isn't strictly necessary. The important thing is showing that this sort of thing happens anyway,regardless of what Gamergate -or any other internet tribe-claims to be about. Certainly no one that is on the fence can look at some of the horrible shit that happened and attribute it to people battling to save game journalism.

I am under the impression that the sequence of events, with Sarkeesian and Quinn happening almost back to back, is indeed raising the attention level of the developers and designers in general. In a way, the strong reactions from the misogynistic twerps in the gaming world is a sort of testimony to this, because if they think that this can be safely ignored, they'd simply stop at mocking and harassing, as they had before, and not escalated it to threats of violence and other types of illegal activities like hacking.

That's why the aim is never to deal with the Gamergate people though.

Honestly, Gamergate is just a convenient name to paste on this group of people and isn't strictly necessary. The important thing is showing that this sort of thing happens anyway,regardless of what Gamergate -or any other internet tribe-claims to be about. Certainly no one that is on the fence can look at some of the horrible shit that happened and attribute it to people battling to save game journalism.

This is a pretty important. See this Storify, which suggests that other than the herd of useful morons who got roped in because VIDEO GAMES, the people at the rotten little heart of this are the same gross misogynists who have been harassing women pretty much everywhere for years: https://storify.com/a_man_in_black/gamergate-is-a-misogy?utm_medium=sfy.co-twitter&utm_content=storify-pingback&awesm=sfy.co_tkPp&utm_campaign=&utm_source=t.co

This is a pretty important. See this Storify, which suggests that other than the herd of useful morons who got roped in because VIDEO GAMES, the people at the rotten little heart of this are the same gross misogynists who have been harassing women pretty much everywhere for years: https://storify.com/a_man_in_black/gamergate-is-a-misogy?utm_medium=sfy.co-twitter&utm_content=storify-pingback&awesm=sfy.co_tkPp&utm_campaign=&utm_source=t.co

Nice work there chronicling the rotten core of GamerGate.

It's your stupidity that pisses us off. I'm fine with the title. In fact i love it. Proud to wear it.

Own the term, won't work though. It's genius because it's a compliment, what right thinking left wing troll wouldn't want to be called a social justice warrior?

I hope so. The only advantage of all this harassment and aggression being out in the open this time is that people will have more difficulty ignoring it as a normal and innocent part of the status quo. Although it will take a while to get people to change, and this certainly won't be the last time there is an outbreak like this.

Agree with that and it cuts both ways. The avalanche of spittle filled harassment and insulting behavior SJWs routinely indulge in is no longer being given a free pass. Folks are aware now and will support each other.

daskool,

Agree with that and it cuts both ways. The avalanche of spittle filled harassment and insulting behavior SJWs routinely indulge in is no longer being given a free pass. Folks are aware now and will support each other.

What planet do you live on? Pointing out harassment and threats is now harassment and threats to the people doing the harassment?

You do know what the "no true Scotsman" fallacy is, right?

Own the term, won't work though. It's genius because it's a compliment, what right thinking left wing troll wouldn't want to be called a social justice warrior?

They can create a support group. "Ridiculous Acronyms Anonymous." The first step is admitting you are powerless over using the term "SJW."

The interesting point is that the mainstream media is actually taking notice. (presumably becuase actually threatening a school shooting is so far beyond the pale that even the most blinkered technophobe can't dismiss it)

Whether it'll lead to anything *useful* is a different matter, but I think this is a watershed of sorts.

I am not a supporter of gamergate at all, but in fairness the anti-gamergaters have been just as guilty of harassment and blatant insults in this whole affair. Both sides have their fair share of extremists, trolls and jerks, and horrible Twitter posts. Both sides have a plenty of people who couldn't care less about games but joined so they can bash and insult or even harass their ideological enemies.

Archived